Too young for the hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I went to my lps again because its Sunday and they usually hold cat and dog adoptions at the store. I went to check them out then went to the fish section.
I decided I wanted to get frozen food for the platy, because I didn't get anything but a heater the previous day.

Man, this cashier was mad. Red in the face. I was a little intimidated; she yelled "I'm here!" In a way that she wanted me to hurry and get out. And then she was eyeing me out, saying "oh you look too young to be getting this, are you sure you know what it's for? I don't think I wanna be selling this to you. You're too young to be owning fish." WHAT. It's frozen fish food. I'm not going to eat it. I just stood there and said "I know what it's for and I have fish". Response..:"Well I need an adult with you to buy this. You look 13." Im 16. I didn't even bother arguing and just left. I always seem to get the female dog employees. Bad luck probably.

What is "too young" in this hobby? I feel embarrassed to be honest, this type of thing never happened to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 12 when I started and now I love to go off on employs buts who do that. I would have been a complete smart aleck lol Ahh, the life of a 15 year old.

I was also 12 when I begun :) lol mine don't even question me on my purchases anymore. They know I know what I'm doing

Oh my. I feel like a complete noob now LOL. I am quite new, but today marks the day where I finally got a hold of a cycled tank! :D baby steps hahaha. I was honestly never into fish, until my sister bought them from her school. Since I'm the older one, I was the one who had to look out for it.

I'm pretty sure buying fish food is self explanatory, so I don't know why she thought I was too young for it. My parents will always question everything though.

Oh my. I feel like a complete noob now LOL. I am quite new, but today marks the day where I finally got a hold of a cycled tank! :D baby steps hahaha. I was honestly never into fish, until my sister bought them from her school. Since I'm the older one, I was the one who had to look out for it.

I'm pretty sure buying fish food is self explanatory, so I don't know why she thought I was too young for it. My parents will always question everything though.

My mom hated it when I picked up my first 10g, and told me I was wasting my money. I was really sad and tempted to take it back, but I didn't. 3 years later I own 4 tanks, 1 45g FW, 1 25g SW, 1 2.5 beta fish tank, an 1 g shrimp tank lol. All in my bed room (cough, can't walk without running into them, cough)

you definitely should have told her off you dont have to be a certain age to buy food thats outrageous!!!

Nah, I don't want to start anything. She looked mad to begin with, I don't want it to be on newspaper headlines lol. Ill be going there on Wednesday and hopefully she's not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I don't want to start anything. She looked pissed to begin with, I don't want it to be on newspaper headlines lol. Ill be going there on Wednesday and hopefully she's not there.

Don't worry, if you end up in jail for telling her off in the future, will start a AA fund taser for your bail :p

My mom hated it when I picked up my first 10g, and told me I was wasting my money. I was really sad and tempted to take it back, but I didn't. 3 years later I own 4 tanks, 1 45g FW, 1 25g SW, 1 2.5 beta fish tank, an 1 g shrimp tank lol. All in my bed room (cough, can't walk without running into them, cough)

That's exactly what my dad is like! He doesn't like wasting money on unnecessary things, so when I told him that we cannot keep 2 platy in a bowl, he was disappointed. We bought the tank anyway though.
Lol, I could probably keep a 45g in my room but my parents will not agree. Like aways, they use the "not until you get your own place" card. Hey, I can't complain! :D

Don't worry, if you end up in jail for telling her off in the future, will start a AA fund taser for your bail :p

So when I get out of jail, employees know not to mess with me. Haha, nah, I think it's because something or someone pissed her off, that made her act that way. That or she hates fish keepers, or teens. Lmao

lol i live with my girlfriend and her parents and her mom is crazy about my fish and her dad not so much haha. he did tell me though that the neighbor is moving and hes selling me his 55 gallon with stand and hoods for 50 bucks tomorrow woo!! i have a 2g, 3g, 10g, 20g high and 20 long in my bedroom

lol i live with my girlfriend and her parents and her mom is crazy about my fish and her dad not so much haha. he did tell me though that the neighbor is moving and hes selling me his 55 gallon with stand and hoods for 50 bucks tomorrow woo!! i have a 2g, 3g, 10g, 20g high and 20 long in my bedroom

Meanwhile, my cousin is selling a 10g for $95 without filter..and she wonders why nobody wants it. Lucky! If someone was selling that tank for that cheap, my dad would let me buy it right off the bat! Though there might be a slight problem with the placement. Y'all have big rooms lol

I started the hobby when I was 6. That being said, my mom did all my research for me, and she apparently found all the wrong sites (she put 2 goldfish in a 5g! :eek:) but I started fully doing it by myself when I was 8 or so.

Meanwhile, my cousin is selling a 10g for $95 without filter..and she wonders why nobody wants it. Lucky! If someone was selling that tank for that cheap, my dad would let me buy it right off the bat! Though there might be a slight problem with the placement. Y'all have big rooms lol

lol my dad is selling me his 75g fowlr with EVERYTHING included for 400 bucks in november. he spent 4 gs on it haha and ive also got a 20g mouse cage, 5.5 nano reef and 5.5 dwarf puffer right outside my room. by december im going to have so many different tanks going! i love aquariums

I started the hobby when I was 6. That being said, my mom did all my research for me, and she apparently found all the wrong sites (she put 2 goldfish in a 5g! :eek:) but I started fully doing it by myself when I was 8 or so.

Water changes and everything? O____O

I don't know whether to feel old because of the age I'm starting at or young because I don't have much knowledge yet. Haha

lol my dad is selling me his 75g fowlr with EVERYTHING included for 400 bucks in november. he spent 4 gs on it haha and ive also got a 20g mouse cage, 5.5 nano reef and 5.5 dwarf puffer right outside my room. by december im going to have so many different tanks going! i love aquariums

When I get my own place I want to have at least 3 tanks. I really want to own angels in the future, maybe some goldfish. (Already thinking ahead of the gun, oh no!)
Btw how do you keep up with all of those tanks? I can't imagine how it looks like in there :)

When I get my own place I want to have at least 3 tanks. I really want to own angels in the future, maybe some goldfish. (Already thinking ahead of the gun, oh no!)
Btw how do you keep up with all of those tanks? I can't imagine how it looks like in there :)

yeah its gonna be such a pain when we move out. i have a calendar whiteboard that is specifically for my fish tanks and what i have to do with them lol soooo many water changes. i have the 20 long and 20 high on my dresser. the 10 g on a stand next to my 52 inch plasma screen and the two betta tanks on my headboard. lol the only pic of my 20 long is a pic i took to show my sister how much fish food i have and that doesnt even include frozen! the betta tanks are 2 and 3 gallon cylinders i dont have any pics of them right now and this is the saltwater setup im getting in november
img_2572407_0_cdb8afe81a33d1f83883a5ec7d738c0e.jpg

img_2572407_1_b6ca35d21b0e2e985d5be1b844120aa7.jpg

img_2572407_2_a3c5b536743242574bb27cb979aaedd6.jpg

img_2572407_3_032ac1320f35e2f204b694aa335a6160.jpg

yeah its gonna be such a pain when we move out. i have a calendar whiteboard that is specifically for my fish tanks and what i have to do with them lol soooo many water changes. i have the 20 long and 20 high on my dresser. the 10 g on a stand next to my 52 inch plasma screen and the two betta tanks on my headboard. lol the only pic of my 20 long is a pic i took to show my sister how much fish food i have and that doesnt even include frozen! the betta tanks are 2 and 3 gallon cylinders i dont have any pics of them right now and this is the saltwater setup im getting in november

Woow those are some really nice tanks! The next tank I'm going to get is probably a 5g, because I can fit that on my dresser (it isn't big at all), and I need a QT for when I get the rest of my stocking plan. After that, I'm probably just gonna put a betta in there and call it good. Haha

thanks i have two 10 g qt tanks in the storage room one fresh and one salt and this is the nano i just started cycling will be going to the store tomorrow for 5 pounds of live rock to put behind this 2.5 pounds of decorative its going through fishless cycle and im thinking of doing a build thread once i get my lights and its close to being done cycling
img_2572498_0_13c66bcfc63825b7cce77ac7ec921263.jpg

maybe ill do a double 5.5 build fresh and salt ;)
im also doing a fishless cycle with a heavily planted already 5.5 that will be housing a dwarf puffer. that also needs new lights and new substrate before its done cycling

Back
Top Bottom