Trying to convince my parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, haven't been talking for a looonng time... But that's because many things have happened. So first off, I haver thirty gallon tank inhabited by a leopard gecko. I switched to that and I just can't get over not having fish. I really wanted a nano reef and did a lot of reports for my parents to show that I am able to take care of the fragile fish and corals that come with it. That is their way of doing things and I am completely fine with it but, o have done about 10 or so 3 page reports lol. I am thinking of trying to get them to let me have a small saltwater fish only aquarium. How should I go about doing this? Thanks for just reading all of this lol.

10x 3 page reports? So you've compiled 30pages worth of materials? If so ... I'm not sure what more you can do other than just outright tell them why your ready for this responsibility. I'm assuming your reports detail all the maintenance that is required to keep the tank healthy ... so just tell them what keeping a small SW tank requires. The size tank, the equipment, the stock, where it's going and the cost ... maybe even estimate the cost in electricity .. which should be minimal. Other than that ... explain your heart felt reasons why you want the tank .... and good luck!

Thanks and yes I just counted, twenty eight... I think I'm going to try to explain it to them. I have a decent amount of money coming my way from birthday and confirmation so I think I'll try the almighty craigslist lol.

you can have them come on here and we can tell them you are ready and could take care of it very well

Lol i don't think they would go for that but it would be well worth it to show them why I'm always on my iPod.

I'm always on my iPod.

It might clear up a lot. It could be that they feel you don't have the time necessary to devote to the tank because you're always on your iPod. ;)

My 16 y.o. stepson is addicted to his cell phone. He's asked for a tank in his room and we won't allow it because he hasn't shown he can be held accountable for much. He's too spoiled by his real momma.

That could be it but im not sure, I think its just because they don't want any more living things in our house lol. They know I'm interested in it because I'm either in my room reading about biology and theories of evolution or on my iPod. Plus sports....

I would just tell them that you promise to take care of it and to always be on top of it. Another thing that might help is show them what a good job you are doing taking care of your Leopard Gecko. Good luck!

Are you expecting your parents to put money into your hobby? Not sure of your age or possible working/chores status.

Lol no. It's a huge struggle for me to make money as I babysit for 2$ an hour... But I find my way through it. I really can't get much business in my area because... Well I don't know why, I sent flyers out with a list of things I would do and only got one call. It was to mulch a garden and I earned 25$ out of it. I am currently 14 but my birthday is in October. The min working age is 15 in pa but no one hires at that age.

I have a few ideas for chores you may be able to do
1. Mow the lawn
2. Vacuum
3. Dust
4. Clean windows
etc

So, in other words, the money to set up this new tank would come from your parents? And then the maintenance/upkeep costs as well?

redsea said:
I have a few ideas for chores you may be able to do
1. Mow the lawn
2. Vacuum
3. Dust
4. Clean windows
etc

I do all of those for free lol.. If I asked I would probably get yelled at..

And to lynda, I receive the money, and I'm allowed to spend it the way I wish, of that's what you mean, then yes

Another option, but this one you would have to talk to your parents about is selling something's on eBay. I don't have much money either and don't have a job (all places this summer didn't want me...) and I sold 2 of my older purses that I never use and got $30 from them

And to lynda, I receive the money, and I'm allowed to spend it the way I wish, of that's what you mean, then yes

So you get an alowance of sorts?

Actually what I meant was more a situation like, "ok mom & dad, I need the tank, these are the fish I want, I need this filter, etc." and expect them to shell out all the money for it. And then a month down the road, tell them you want more fish, a new test kit, etc. and expect them to pay for that, too. See what I mean?

If you don't do that, good for you! ;)

Your parents may be concerned about starting a tank due to the money that could be involved in them. Have you had a fish tank before? Especially a nano reef?

I personally do not have a reef tank, let alone a nano one, as i know they are extremely hard to care for as everything must be perfect. If I was you, I would def start simple and build into it. I know it's probably something you don't want to hear, but i would start with your average freshwater set up to establish to your parents that you have the knowledge and ability to invest the time into taking care of your new hobby.

If you wanted to be extreme in presenting your 28 page document, also include a cost breakdown...you could get a complete 10 gallon starter kit for about 50 bucks if you look and probably even cheaper on Craigslist.

Just remember, you are 14, you have alllll the time in the world to have that great reef set up. Trust me, wait till you have the experience under your belt and the money in your pocket to start something like that. I'm 27 and have a decent job and I am waiting awhile before i tackle saltwater.

I hope my post makes sense. I think your parents just want to see you start out with something simple instead of complex. I think they would be more inclined to help you if you make it easy for yourself and them...

Just my 2 cents.

To lynda, I have not asked my parents for money, and the Money I make is from babysitting mainly and I receive all of my money from that monthly so in a way, yes.

And to the other most recent poster( your name slipped my mind lol) I have done fishkeeping for about 4 years and have bred german blue rams (probably the biggest thing I accomplished). I have done thorough research about corals and the saltwater fishkeeping subject in general for a year now. They allowed me to get one in may and I found a huge offer on craigslist but a week before I called someone bought it. I decided to get a gecko instead.

Back
Top Bottom