Underwater Sculptures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tecwzrd

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to share this link of underwater sculptures created to be artificial reefs.

www.underwatersculpture.com

Couple of interesting ones below:

39986166jf5.jpg

35738233rl2.jpg

26161933na6.jpg

93844882kn5.jpg

71480493al8.jpg

Wow, those are kind of spooky! Pretty neat.

I`ve seen them use old sunken ships and army tanks I guess that could be another alternative.

Those will be very cool once they get established. The planning is interesting and it looks like so much has happened since May 2006 when it was started!

The Sculpture Park at Moliniere

To decide the exact location of the Sculpture Park required extensive research. The following criteria were evaluated to find the perfect site.

* Little or no impact to the existing marine environment and eco- systems.
* Sheltered from trade winds and strong oceanic currents.
* To provide a diversion from Flamingo Bay, which is an area hosting an outstanding coral reef currently endangered by over use from water activities
* Easily accessible for the main tourist operators.
* Good variations in depth.
* An area of poor quality reef which would be enhanced by an artificial structure.
* Areas of sandy and rock substrate to place and secure sculptures.
* Served by a mooring buoy to prevent anchoring on the reef or the sculptures.
* Clear of all shipping lanes.

With these factors in mind the final site chosen was Moliniere. It is located 2 miles north of the capital St Georges on the West coast of the Island, within an area designated as a National Marine Park. The bay is enclosed by rock headlands and has a small beach in one corner. Within the Bay the sea ranges in depth from 0- 25m. It can be reached by land, by walking down to Dragon Bay and following the beach down in a southerly direction. It is roughly a 10-minute boat ride from St Georges and 15minutes from Grand Anse.

I'd be creeped out, especially diving at low light hours, and thinking it was someone wearing cement shoes...

Back
Top Bottom