USPS shipping foobar!Really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
I try not to ship fish(or much) as my local LFS is good to me(long time now).(y)
I sent a medium USPS box insulated with foil faced foam,and 4 kordon breather bags with GBR in them to a member.
I sent them on Sat.which was questionable enough for me but I know how to ship and kind of knew the rams would be fine for an extra day all warm and dark(think about it?).:whistle:
Well 7 days after shipping I just got the top of my box back!:eek:
It was in a large envelope(large enough to fit whole medium USPS priority box top) with a form letter saying;
"A parcel addressed to or from you was in need of repair.Every attempt was made to restore your parcel to its original condition.If your parcel is devoid of some or all its contents,please complete the enclosed form and return it in the envelope provided.Every effort will be made to locate your items"
The letter came from GA so my package did actually leave my town (NY) and make it to East USPS hub(in Mass) and then tracking went bunk and I get this from GA?
The box has zero,no sign of water damage and actually looks to have been opened or cut apart with a box cutter?
You think they will find my four bags with 5 GBR in them?
Anyone ever get this or similar letter after shipping?
How am I supposed to have faith(they have taken over 7 days to send plants to Tennesee before with me to another member) ?
Mostly I needed to vent as I was kind of amped to get a look at my GBR from another breeder and now this?
I will take all that was sent to me from Ga to my local post office and see what they say ,but I really can't believe it.
"every attempt was made......."
I'm not buying it but I paid for it!

That's pretty weak man..so it was just the labeled section with no other parts of the package?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's pretty weak man..so it was just the labeled section with no other parts of the package?

Nothing but the complete top of medium box!
I mean complete like it was cut off the box to open it with all my layers of tape and all still in tact!
Pretty weak IMO !
Sounds like you are lucky I worked today and did not ship to you huh!
Going to try for you this week if possible(we are so close they can't screw it up!??).

Accidents happen.. I've sent over 30-40 packages and only one was slightly compromised, did you label it "live fish"?

No label on box saying live fish.
It really shows no sign of damage though?
I think it is funny they send the box top back with no sign of damage yet they claim it was in need of repair? and every attempt was made? None show on the part I got back?Looks just like it did when I sent it?

The one issue I had was a snail shipment. The box was punctured, like stabbed... if that was the case with your shipment than it would.make sense to have most sides intact.

This seems to be a recent issue with now 3 USPS shipments I've read about here. Unfortunately, shipping fish has always had issues. From the plane to the train to the boat to UPS and USPS, STUFF HAPPENS. :whistle: It's sad but that's the facts. I've watched boxes at the airport, clearly marked "Live Fish", get pushed along the floor and not arrive at their destination in the same direction they were pushed from. Airplanes have crushed my boxes, again clearly marked with the contents, with no regard. ( And these aren't even the horror stories. :eek: ) It's the price you pay for not picking them up directly from the source. The " Cost of doing business" if you will.
I know it's little solace but you just have to get over it and move on. Put in your claim and try to resend. Shipping companies all have much more important cargo than your fish or plants ( so they say) so don't expect too much sympathy from them. What you can do is try better, more expensive, shipping methods or companies that offer overnight shipping ( i.e. UPS or DHL) This way, the items should be there next day.) I wouldn't send on a weekend in the future however. I think of it more as the disgruntled employees having to work on the weekends, not a good choice. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

I had a package lost and it just kept getting told to me for 2.5 WEEKS that they knew it was at the facility but couldn't locate it. Almost a month, it arrived all dead but one tiny shrimp. How can they not find a package with a tracking number on it.

Resent a new package, hole torn in package and lost the Petrified stone but taped up and sent so the shrimp arrived a second time. I don't hardly ever ship fish or shrimp anymore.

The only live things that I'll purchase online are aquarium plants and snails. Other than that, all of my fish purchases are done in person so that I can see the fish with my own eyes and avoid shipping deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been shippping and receiving fish for years. One thing I learned quickly, NEVER write "Live Fish" or "Fragile" or anything else out of the ordinary on the box. Much better chances of the package arriving intact if you jsut label it like any other. My personal opinion is that marking anything on the box makes it a target for any a**hole having a bad day or just a generally bad attitude. Although I have received marked packages that were undamaged, nearly all the ones that arrived damaged or even crushed were marked. I use breather bags when possible, the contents don't get sloshed around since there's no airspace in the bags, and if the package is delayed the CO2 won't build up in the meantime and kill the fish (or shrimp.)

Thanks everyone!
Andy you always help!
toddnbecka,I'm not telling them what is in the box as if they did their job properly it should not matter.
I do use kordon breather bags and will "get back on the horse" again soon.
Mostly just bummed that the fish did not get to another member.
That and I just can't even guess what happened to my box that I got back the top completely undamaged yet my package was too badly damaged to be repaired or shipped to destination?

Its bunk, sir. Totally bunk..... But it only adds to my bad 12hrs now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is a really good topic with good advise not to label your package or choose a better carriers for better success. Most of us have some fear with purchase or shipping live things, but its the only way sometimes.

I've shipped hundreds of boxes overnight and wrote "live fish" and "this side up" on all of them and probably 2 of them didn't make it. I used UPS, Fedex, and USPS depending on price and location, and I've found them all to be about the same in terms of parcel care, until recently.
In my neighborhood USPS hired a bunch of people at a lower wage and are sending them out without proper training. I get letters that should have taken 2 days, 2 weeks later, and in many cases, not at all. I've called and complained a few times, but it didn't seem to help. I'm getting mail now with completely different addresses. A complete lack of competence.
My regular carrier told me they sent a young girl out with a bag and told her to deliver as much as she can and then return the rest and she delivered to just 2 houses, and at the end of the day returned the full bag. They seem to be getting what they paid for.

I've shipped hundreds of boxes overnight and wrote "live fish" and "this side up" on all of them and probably 2 of them didn't make it. I used UPS, Fedex, and USPS depending on price and location, and I've found them all to be about the same in terms of parcel care, until recently.
/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this. I've shipped to and received fish boxes from all around the world and in most cases, they arrive in good condition. With planes, they need to know what is inside the cargo so that it goes into the right areas of the plane. Just like a dog or cat, you don't want your fish boxes going into the unheated parts of the plane. Ground transportation can be tricky. The cargo area can get heated this time of year so you really do want to mark your boxes just in case you have a driver who gives a crap and tries to keep the box(s) cool or warm depending on the season. But every now and then, something happens. It's unavoidable. It just seems that these stories have been frequent these past few weeks. Coincidence? Maybe. Or someone might be trying to make a point. Who knows? It's the risk you take when not picking up and transporting the package yourself. If you must buy elsewhere, using breather bags or not, I suggest overnight express shipping. Yes, it costs more but it SHOULD make the process a bit easier on the contents.

Hope this helps (y)

There is a relatively new trend going on and you all should be aware of it.
It's called "SurePost" and it sucks big time.
What SurePost is the lowest rung on the delivery ladder and ALL the shippers use it, UPS, FEDEX, and USPS.
what it is cut-rate shipping where they essentially hand the package off to the lowest bidder, from that point on there is no real tracking or anything.
We have had stuff that should have taken 3-5 days take 13 days because of SurePost.
One night around 8:30 this little P-O-S car pulls up with some guy that looks 98 in it. He gets out, wanders up the drive, hands me a package and leaves.
That was the SurePost delivery guy UPS handed my stuff off to, and the package had been obviously opened and resealed!

My local post office manager literally cringed when I told her they sent it via SurePost, she said NEVER EVER use SurePost

Unless you specifically tell them NOT to use surepost, you have no idea until they send you an e-mail telling you it has been handed off to another delivery person/company for SurePost.
another trend I've noticed and don't get is UPS and FEDEX dropping my stuff off at the post office for delivery?

I check tracking and it says "dropped off at local post office for delivery" ???
WTF???
I can walk to the post office in 8 minutes, why the heck can't the driver just bring it to the house?

and it sounds to me like your fish were stolen.

oh and make sure on any insurance claims with the USPS that you make sure to tell them they were ultra rare, one of a kind fish worth $2,500 each. ;)

I actually have gotten others mail recently also?:confused:
I am surprised the box top was sent to me from Ga to be honest!:rolleyes:
Tracking had it leaving Springfield Mass and.......expected delivery on Tues,still written on Friday(after!).:whistle:
I am not a conspiracy type person ,but I will add a little flavor and honesty to the story::angel:
The package was sent to Poppa from Bandit!(y)
4 bags of water have a little weight but still went through for $12.
I can't say I think(or thought the fish were stolen),but using foil faced insulation(just how I roll) I know they can't Xray my boxes with their cheap equipment very well!:blink:
They definitely opened my box of their free will and corrupt behavior IMO:eek:.
Stealing the fish really sounds credible to me at this point simply because the thiefing fools could have resealed the box after seeing it was just fish?
But NO!!!!!
All that remains is the top of the box???:eek:
I am holding their crap(olla) chain form and going to go to my local post office where I shipped from and see what they say?:cool:
If I here "sure post" I will hit the roof(which I installed 30 years ago)!:hide:
I had the usual $50 insurance but can I really tell them I sent fish after the barrage of questions they asked (including liquids and perishable/live) that I answered no to as usual?:whistle:
I feel they owe me free shipping at least but I will push the unsatisfied button and see what is offered?:nono:
Thanks for all the replies you guys it is good info!(y)
Who would have thought all this from shipping one medium USPS priority express box?

I had the usual $50 insurance but can I really tell them I sent fish after the barrage of questions they asked (including liquids and perishable/live) that I answered no to as usual?:whistle:

Your first mistake

but using foil faced insulation(just how I roll) I know they can't Xray my boxes with their cheap equipment very well!:blink:

If they can't successfully X ray the boxes they will open them. If they cut it open and cut a couple bags then the box would get damaged and they wouldn't be able to repair it. Also, by shipping the liquid and live fish they would likely confiscate it.

Back
Top Bottom