Want to Get A Bird!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
My sister who recently just lost her husband to cancer wants a bird for a pet. Can you all point me to a place to get some good info for her. She wants a bird that can be handled, talk, and not that messy...LOL...not wanting much huh??

Also please share some of your experience's...

thanks!

I have a wonderful senegal parrot. They are not large birds. Toby talks quite fluently. The first thing she learned, from me, was "feed the fish", as I would pick her up and she would come with me when I fed the fish, I would say lets go feed the fish! and she sing songs it now whenever she wants personal attention. Of course, we have the usual, good morning, good night toby, pretty bird and her own imitation of me calling the dog and cat...come on barney and here kitty kitty.
She picks up phrases non stop now. (much to the dismay of the other animals in the house).

Senegals are not extremely expensive, 400-600 is what I have seen them for. The cage requirements are smaller than the bigger birds are. More along the lines of a large cockatiel cage. They are also not super loud shriekers ( a definite plus ).

I'm so sorry about your brother-in-law.

A few thoughts:

1. Get a bird that was hand-raised. They are much better adjusted to people.

2. As far as cages, the bigger the better. The most important feature of a cage is how easy is it to service (change the litter, clean, open & remove bird, refill food & water dishes).

3. Consider getting a bird who needs to be rehomed. Check with animal shelters and newspapers. My parrot had been in three homes before mine and he is the sweetest fellow you'd ever seen. Much cheaper to get a re-homed bird too.

4. Look at the bird section of Drs Foster and Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Shop.cfm?N=2003 Check out the pet education section for articles about bird profiles, care, behavior, etc.

Birds are wonderful companions. I think she'll enjoy one.

She should get an Indian Ringneck! I have one along with a cockatiel and they are my little babies. My Indian Ringneck(Nike) is a lutino and they only cost about $600. They are excellant and very clear talkers. They are a little bigger than a cockatiel with a very long tail.
Good Luck :D

African Congos are supposedly the best talkers. I have a Nanday Conure that doesn't talk, but I haven't worked with him on talking, so it is not the bird's fault. I think that your real challenge would be finding a bird that isn't messy. Any bird that you work with can be handled well, but they need a companion in their owner. My bird spends most of its time on my shoulder, unfortunately that has made him a one person bird, but he is mine and he enjoys every minute with me that he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom