What color combo is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristaButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just scored a nice 55 gallon
With a 404 fluval for 90$!!! Yippee!!

In regards to a sanded tank with a painted back ground, what color combo is best in your opinions. Please if you have a picture post it.
Blue paint, black sand
Blue paint, white sand
Black paint, black sand
Black paint, white sand

Gracious now I'm confused. Lol
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415416652.031626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Black background for all colors imo, blue on black maybe cool too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Black background, light brown sand.

IMO, bright white sand or black sand will cause many fish to not look right from a color perspective.

I have black with black and black with blue background. They both work well. I'll post some pics tomorrow but the phone cam pics don't look quite like it does in person.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Black on black seems to make colored fish pop very nicely, along with the greens and reds of many freshwater plants.

I prefer the black or natural sand that looks dark with specks of light but mainly darker (what option is best can also depend on which fish you are keeping).

For the background I prefer the graduated blue color vinyl, but the darker blue if you were to paint it because Black sand and black background is sooo dark.

Black Eco Complete isn't totally black, here you can see it in some detail. FTS is a stock black back, it comes that way from the factory no choice.

60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture67096.jpg

Here is the graduated blue back ground with Garnet sand. Not a good pic but you get the idea of the background.
60074-albums9763-picture65537.jpg

here you can see the sand better, most accurate color is in the center between the fish.

60074-albums9763-picture65860.jpg

I've really liked white sand, mixed with red-brown gravel, and painted the background blackish (I put dots of cream and red brown on the glass, then painted on the black and got it all mostly mixed).

I agree the not quite black is richer than black black.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Wow!! What beautiful tanks!! I have decided on black diamond blasting sand and cobalt blue acrylic paint. Here's the beginnings.....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415734155.071980.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Keep in mind that black diamond blasting sand is coal slag and is magnetic so if you use a magnetic algae cleaner it will pick the sand up and scratch the glass. I found out the hard way.

I prefer the black or natural sand that looks dark with specks of light but mainly darker (what option is best can also depend on which fish you are keeping).

For the background I prefer the graduated blue color vinyl, but the darker blue if you were to paint it because Black sand and black background is sooo dark.

Black Eco Complete isn't totally black, here you can see it in some detail. FTS is a stock black back, it comes that way from the factory no choice.

60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture67096.jpg

Here is the graduated blue back ground with Garnet sand. Not a good pic but you get the idea of the background.
60074-albums9763-picture65537.jpg

here you can see the sand better, most accurate color is in the center between the fish.

60074-albums9763-picture65860.jpg

Btw I love the garnet sand!! It is beautiful. Where did you get it? I may have to use it when I get bored with the black diamond.

Btw I love the garnet sand!! It is beautiful. Where did you get it? I may have to use it when I get bored with the black diamond.

From a sand blasting sand/media company. Most larger cities have suppliers and have many sand options. unitedwesterndenver dot com. I think there are other locations throughout the country. They do ship ($ as much as the sand costs lol, appx $18. for 50lbs) but many companies who offer abrasives also offer Garnet sand blasting sand. It is fun and is actually garnets. This kind comes from Idaho where it is mined, Emerald Creek. It is very clean because of what it is used for. I couldn't resist trying it.

Back
Top Bottom