What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally--FINALLY!-- mixed up a new batch of macro ferts. Things have been slowing down in my tanks for a couple months but I just hadn't been able to get around to do it. Hopefully this will help :)

Yesterday I brought in the mosquito fish as a donation to the LFS and they reimbursed me with a 20% discount coupon. I do not buy fish often so I was not sure when I would ever use it.
On my way out I saw a tank with Furcata Forktail Rainbows listed at $3.99 each! I bought some 3 years ago from the same place at $11.99 each so I could not pass it up. Picked up 11. Applied the coupon as well. These are juveniles which is probably better due the the typical lifespan (~3 years). The ones I bought 3 years ago succumbed to a CO2 overdose and I have been kicking myself over that since then.
Furcata Forktail Rainbows [emoji304]
Dc5Wgs7.jpg

FTS. Lighting was a little dim at the time
IX1lSYy.jpg

Reposted this in my Blackwater build thread...

No More Small Tanks

AA...

Have a couple of Goldfish tanks. A 38 G with Calicos, an Oranda and some Veil tails. And, a 75 G with some Comets and the standard Goldfish types. I'm thinking, why keep such small tanks, when something larger would eventually be better for the fish? A 300 G would be nice, but glass would be hugely expensive. So, let's go with a 300 gallon water trough. It's way less expensive and you could put it in a basement with some nice indoor landscaping. Brilliant!

B

Got a New (to me) 125gal. to put my angelfish in. Needs some TLC but will make a great tank.

AA...

Have a couple of Goldfish tanks. A 38 G with Calicos, an Oranda and some Veil tails. And, a 75 G with some Comets and the standard Goldfish types. I'm thinking, why keep such small tanks, when something larger would eventually be better for the fish? A 300 G would be nice, but glass would be hugely expensive. So, let's go with a 300 gallon water trough. It's way less expensive and you could put it in a basement with some nice indoor landscaping. Brilliant!

B
Rubbermaid makes a 300gallon stock tank that is awesome for goldfish. I have the 150 now but plan on getting the 300 soon.

Restocked my 2.5 gal with a pair of aphyosemion australe, also known as lyretail killifish! Put in a couple new plants for them as well.

Feeling pretty accomplished.
Over the last week or so I have noticed that my hobs output has been dwindling. I’ve been thinking that I need a new one. I clean it once in a while.
This morning I gave it a really thorough cleaning and it’s as good as new!

Feeling pretty accomplished.
Over the last week or so I have noticed that my hobs output has been dwindling. I’ve been thinking that I need a new one. I clean it once in a while.
This morning I gave it a really thorough cleaning and it’s as good as new!
My HOB's always get a slime down by the impeller that will slow flow. I've even had it quit working completely a few times. Thought it was burned out only to find the impeller caked in sludge. They make some cool brush kits of different circumference and length that work great.

I’ll have to check into the brush kits. I used the sink sprayer followed by a rinse in conditioned water.

Hello D...

Funny. I didn't think anyone paid attention to this thread. Anyway, I'm going to use a galvanized water trough. It's 8 ft long, 3 ft wide and 2 ft tall. It will be above ground and I've got a landscaper whose familiar with backyard ponds. He'll pretty it up for me. The weather is cold here in the winter, but I have a nice aeration system I'm using. I understand if you have strong aeration, this all the fish need to make it through the cold temperatures. My indoor Goldies are growing nicely and this spring, I'll move them to the tank. I plan to run it all winter to get the water settled. My wife is a gardener and wants to do the plants. I'll just take care of the fish.

B

My HOB's always get a slime down by the impeller that will slow flow. I've even had it quit working completely a few times. Thought it was burned out only to find the impeller caked in sludge. They make some cool brush kits of different circumference and length that work great.

Why I moved to canisters.

BBradbury, Great idea for the big stock tank.

If you would like , I have around a 100-125 pond liner with Rosy Minnows unknown how many maybe 12-18/ up for looking for a new home, they spawned this year and there are a few babies. They overwintered in there with a small heater under a protected deck area.

Presently it it is being used above ground. Tons of Duckweed for the Goldies and some Dwarf Water Lettuce. Weekly I have to scoop out handfulls of the stuff.

A Rubbermaid type 45/55G? trash can filter up for grabs, if it didn't get tossed out. Cheap deal. PM me if interested. Would love it to go to someone who would enjoy it. Used it with my old pond, just ran across it in the shed taking up space when I cleaned it out.

And a 90G bowfront (needs the bulkheads resealed and it is super dirty from being outside) and sump, stand is water damaged but can be replaced, or made stronger by additional reinforcement,

and a 46G bowfront with stand with a Koi Angelfish.
~~~~~~~~~~

BTW getting ready to get rid of excess stuff as I change the tanks around and downsize the number of tanks. All that stuff will need to go soon.

There will also likely be a 6.6G Fluval Edge tank and maybe one that has the cracked top to be de-rimmed. A nice size for shrimp. I started it but didn't want to finish the job with the SW nano fish and coral stuff still in it.

Finally getting closer to consolidation -YAY!!!

Going to get the new to me Innovative Marine SR-80 gallon tank in the family room, set. Having a hard time deciding which spot at the fish tank wall to put it though.

The stand on the thing is a thick wood, huge, high, heavy monster. No kidding thought I was gonna bust a kidney, lol. Using rolling furniture dollies worked soooooo much better than lifting it. Have bruises on my arms from lifting the tank too. That baby is thick 12mm glass (close to half inch) and heavy as well!

Kind of exciting but finding there are many small things, many pretty important to figure out and do it once and not need a do-over. Especially a spend more money do-over!

Going to do a few pwc today too.

I clean the impeller housing on my Aquaclears on a regular basis: my tanks are heavily planted, so they can get gunked up pretty quickly. I find a toothpick does the job just fine. Also, adding a pre-filter sponge has helped reduce how often I need to do this. :D

Hello D...

Funny. I didn't think anyone paid attention to this thread. Anyway, I'm going to use a galvanized water trough. It's 8 ft long, 3 ft wide and 2 ft tall. It will be above ground and I've got a landscaper whose familiar with backyard ponds. He'll pretty it up for me. The weather is cold here in the winter, but I have a nice aeration system I'm using. I understand if you have strong aeration, this all the fish need to make it through the cold temperatures. My indoor Goldies are growing nicely and this spring, I'll move them to the tank. I plan to run it all winter to get the water settled. My wife is a gardener and wants to do the plants. I'll just take care of the fish.

B
Sounds good. As long as it don't freeze all the way through you should be fine. I've had goldfish in a huge outdoor pond for year that always freezes over. The oldest lived to be 21 years old. It has a continuous flow of fresh spring water from the property, but on the coldest days that would even freeze up for weeks at a time.

Made gel food for the plecos today. I leave the lights on 16 hours a day and just can't keep enough algea growing to really benefit them. Lol

Hello D...

B
Look into trough heaters. You can run them all winter. They do it for horses and cows around here where I'm from.

I clean the impeller housing on my Aquaclears on a regular basis: my tanks are heavily planted, so they can get gunked up pretty quickly. I find a toothpick does the job just fine. Also, adding a pre-filter sponge has helped reduce how often I need to do this. :D
Now I generally pull it out and break it down every 3 months or so and scrub it. I take the impeller out and scrub it and the housing.... tubes and filter casing. I've been seeing a lot of people here with pre filters so I might get that started.

Back
Top Bottom