What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 26th of March was our aquarium club spring auction and I did a great job and helped out and got a few things, but didn't buy ANY fish. Very fun event.

So I have been working on getting my SW tank ready to sell. Dosed H2O2 and was a hugely helpful. It needs just one more big dose I think and a cleaning and be ready to go in a week or 2.

Then the 3 new Clown Loaches are doing great in the 72G

The newer young Endlers from last month are growing, coloring up and looking stunning. Endler's Livebearers.

Then on April 1 was our club meeting and I DID buy some fish, 8 Rummy Nose adults. It looks like these are Hemigrammus bleheri. They are in holding now but look awesome and all lived through the transition.

Added a bunch of plants to their tank and they love it.

I have a couple sick Neon Tetras. These were form some I got last fall and they have never been good. I plan to dose the tank with something medicated and see if it will bring the illness under control.

The tank is in need of a redo. The BBA is luxurious like a coat on the Anubias and DW which it is on mostly. My Betta LOVES it to lay in. BUT it isn't what I want to see in my display tank. My Waterbox 30G low iron glass tank should be gorgeous. lol

Actually I think it looks cool but is very not cool to have. Overtaking the pretty plants.

Started dosing the liquid plant ferts a couple weeks ago, weekly. Need to check on how I am supposed to be doing that, it has been so, so long ago since I used it.

Still planning to use the Seachem Flourish Excel to help with algae, but trating spots out of the tank in a bucket. Still been too busy to focus on that.

Also planning to buy another bag of Garnet sand. I miss having more of it than I have now.

I got my new 55 gal in place and on the stand and I did a 50 %water change on my 36 bow front excuse the mess in the pictures lol I took them after the water change and building the stand for the 55 so I had stuff moved around everywhere lol20220405_104247.jpg20220405_104258.jpg

Yesterday did a 5G pwc on the new Rummy Nose tank. There a a bunch of them in that tank and the filter BB likely isn't quite up to the additional load so doing big pwc every other day.

Fed all the fish and added some plant ferts.

Added in water from evaporation.

I have one sick Tetra,30G looks egg bound will buy some clove oil to put her down tomorrow if they have it at the pharmacy. :( Key is finding /ordering the one which is only oil and not any alcohol in it like flavoring.

Have to do pwc's tomorrow.

Additional 5G pwc on the Rummy Nose tank, 10G pwc on the 30G waterbox tank.

AND so happy to report that the last treatment of H2O2 cleared up the icky gunk I was hoping would disappear. All red and most the green algae was faded. Some green algae on the glass remained but I scraped all of the 2 and a front half sides. It gets a great deal of light from the plants table right next to it. I wasn't feeling great today so I stopped there. In addition the water heater pilot light went out in the wind. So I wouldn't have an easy time doing a large pwc on the 72G anyway.

Still need to do the Black Edge tank tomorrow and set up a spare AC 110 with fine filter pads to trap all the scraped off, bubbled off algae in the SW tank, and then time to do a pwc with my 10G of SW and sell that big boy.

Sadly the Egg bound Tetra passed away. That night.

The other fish seem to look better after adding the Epsom salts and some calcium. I need to watch over them and see how they do.

Planning 2 pwc for the 72G and then add in the Rummy Nose Tetras The Rummy Nose look good so far, but they do hide.

And they scare the Chili Rasboras and they hide. So looks like just plants ;/ with water... Boo.
Hoping to get the algae in there out, 12G white Edge.

So I got a couple days off of work and promptly got pretty sick (Why, WHY, Why???!!!)

Getting things done plans for the tanks has slowed down.

Today did 3 pwc by vac'ing the substrate in the white 12G Edge. The other day adding in the water cause so much waste to circulate around the tank, I couldn't let it go any longer. I am hoping to add the blue shrimp next week from the Black 12G Edge.

5G
3G
2G

Then did a quick rinse on the media, and cleaned the dirty prefilter.

I freaked out the Rummy Nose fish. Still I have 8 but they are very upset.

3G pwc on the 30G Waterbox

2G pwc of the 12G Black Edge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reached out to a out of state breeder for some shadow Panda or Mosura. Waiting for pricing, pics and quantity of each type.

The Extreme BB were $20 each and although that is a ton of money for a shrimp, it isn't a bad price for his quality. I would want about 12-20 and that makes them out of my price range. I could use all my mad money and then basically not be able to do anything else for a good while.

Previously, I had planned that I would already have "cleaned up" the black Edge shrimp tank and separated the kinds of shrimp in there.

But nope. Lucky to get water changes done.

Still need to vac the 72G but need to get the used Aqueon vac back out of the shed. Oops should have thought that out better.

Also found out that the low water seems to have stopped the mini circulation Pump in the 5G long Fluval Spec V filter chamber. It was a OEM replacement, a few years ago...

It may just have got gunk in it and needs a cleaning, or it burned out not having enough water in it a couple times.

Then I rinsed out the old loudly running canister FX5 I left in the back room, after exchanging it for the better one. I had spilled filter media (Seachem Matrix) out of a bag and it filled up all the little crevices. Then after drying it just stuck in there didn't fall out like sand, and I thought it would.

I want to remove the Rummy Nose before treating for algae in the White 12G.

I added the AC110 on the SW 50G but the outflow has a little crack and it is leaking a tiny bit. I put a squared container underneath to catch the drips. Might order a new case.

Will compare how much a whole new one costs vs, the main parts.

Since I have another AC110 I use all the time, getting a whole new one might be better since they are both olderish. The cracked one was always just a little cracked and I got it for $10 10 years ago as a damaged /clearance item at the fish store.

Little bits of progress everywhere. Nothing completed though!

Last edited:
Some unusual activity today. Ive got 3 angelfish in a 200 litre. An established pair, and a singleton female, half the size of the pair, keeps herself to herself, never bothers the other fish.

Well, all through today she has been going nuts. The male angelfish is looking beat up, the bigger female is cowering in a corner. Im wondering, what is going on here?

Well, the small female has just laid her first batch of eggs and is super aggressive. The male is showing no interest in fertilising them. Hopefully things calm down a little soon.

WlMeB8l.jpeg

Pesonally I would remove her. The danger is she might decide she wants the male and er assassinate the other female. Generally speaking no good can happen with a pair + 1 female.

Some unusual activity today. Ive got 3 angelfish in a 200 litre. An established pair, and a singleton female, half the size of the pair, keeps herself to herself, never bothers the other fish.

Well, all through today she has been going nuts. The male angelfish is looking beat up, the bigger female is cowering in a corner. Im wondering, what is going on here?

Well, the small female has just laid her first batch of eggs and is super aggressive. The male is showing no interest in fertilising them. Hopefully things calm down a little soon.

WlMeB8l.jpeg

The Angels are gorgeous fish. But with their mating issues (experienced over and over here, I would only keep a few males or just one male (because not wanting to raise babies). Or paired up in a tank of their own.

That small but mighty female you have! Long back I had 2 pair of Koi Angels, they stayed one pair in each end of the 72G bow front and really didn't bother any fish which hung out in the center. Happy happy.

One female died and the other female took the widowed male almost immediately.and the other left in the dust male wasn't strong enough to fight for her back and pined away the stronger male would zoom across the whole tank to chase the other male away. Both Angels in the pair constantly intimidated and harassed most all of the other fish.

I tried all kinds of combinations to get the other guy paired back up but he had no interest. Gave the one pair their own tank and things calmed down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Well so in doing those pwc's in the white 12G Edge I added some Accu-Clear and a new fine filter chunk to help with the scummy particles floating around.

Found the tank 2 gallons down the next afternoon and thought, didn't I fill it up to the top? But was busy and just added the 2 gallons, came in last night and saw it looked like it was down 4 inches, maybe almost 2G worth.

And I knew I filled it up for sure that time.

Found that the fine filter pads ad done it's job well and was kinda clogged for the amount of flow and the water was just dripping out the back part of the HOB filter box!

There was a puddle behind the cabinet... Fortunately there is a sheet vinyl floor and good evaporation going on! The stand is on leveling pegs so all was well. Today the tank is nice and clear! No one knows....except all of you!

Bought a 100 pack of one side razor blades. The pack was 2 times the price of a 10 pack. Who can't use 100 razor blades in like 10 years, lol??? I used my last ones so many times and they were so rusty, I was afraid the rust would scratch the glass!

Dosed plant ferts and will be doing the 72G canister rinse out. There are so many pieces of munched DW from the Pleco and dead plant debris, I am sure the filter media needs rinsing already. And then later I can vac the garbage out and the filter will be ready to catch it all when I stir up the next mess. Then the week after I can rise the filter again!

1 week plan to get back on track!

The eggs lasted less than an hour. Go to pick up the wife from work, get home, gone. Heres hoping the aggression disappears just as quickly.

The eggs lasted less than an hour. Go to pick up the wife from work, get home, gone. Heres hoping the aggression disappears just as quickly.

Maybe a good water change to rid some of the pheromones from the tank.
Edit: not sure if there are lots of pheromones at that stage but might be worth the pwc if they don't simmer down.

Well. I didnt actually know the angelfish was about to lay eggs etc, and i actually did a big water change about an hour before she started laying. Things do seem to be a bit calmer now though, the pair of angels are tentatively coming out of hiding.

On another note, the betta tank i mentioned a while back is probably being purchased tomorrow (if the store hasnt sold it already). Good deal on a fluval flex 57. Its really for some celestial pearl danios, but im hoping to fit a betta in there too. Easter weekend project getting it set up and scaped. Cant believe the price of aquarium gravel. £5 for 2 kilos of black gravel. Probably need 10 to 15kg.

Well. I didnt actually know the angelfish was about to lay eggs etc, and i actually did a big water change about an hour before she started laying. Things do seem to be a bit calmer now though, the pair of angels are tentatively coming out of hiding.

On another note, the betta tank i mentioned a while back is probably being purchased tomorrow (if the store hasnt sold it already). Good deal on a fluval flex 57. Its really for some celestial pearl danios, but im hoping to fit a betta in there too. Easter weekend project getting it set up and scaped. Cant believe the price of aquarium gravel. £5 for 2 kilos of black gravel. Probably need 10 to 15kg.

When I last went to the store to grab a few things, found the Fluval shrimp substrate I got price matched over a year ago for 17.95 was now going for ~$37 !!! EVERYTHING was so much more costly.

Have you looked into sandblasting sand media. From the big supply house I can get cleaned sand various grit sizes for ~$20-24 for 50-60 lbs. bag.

Even water jet (extra clean) Garnet sand was that price.

When I last went to the store to grab a few things, found the Fluval shrimp substrate I got price matched over a year ago for 17.95 was now going for ~$37 !!! EVERYTHING was so much more costly.

Have you looked into sandblasting sand media. From the big supply house I can get cleaned sand various grit sizes for ~$20-24 for 50-60 lbs. bag.

Even water jet (extra clean) Garnet sand was that price.
I can get sand quite cheaply, i really wanted black gravel. Done a bit of shopping round and got it down to £4 per 2kg bag. With the deal on the flex aquarium it will basically cover the cost of the substrate. Swings and roundabouts i suppose.

I can get sand quite cheaply, i really wanted black gravel. Done a bit of shopping round and got it down to £4 per 2kg bag. With the deal on the flex aquarium it will basically cover the cost of the substrate. Swings and roundabouts i suppose.

Well yes, get the thing you want!!!Settling just to save a couple dollars isn't good just get what you really want. Sounds like it will be awesome. I would like one of those tanks (but I AM downsizing, lol, so no - unless I find one basicially being given away). I was thinking the smaller one would be good for a shrimp tank! I nearly bought one in white a year and a half ago.

Can't wait to see what you create!

Well instead of clean out the canister filter I did a 2/3 water change. Added some elbow grease scrubbing of the brown algae covered Anubias Coffefolia leaves and some of the Amazon Swords leaves. And used it on the glass as well.. looking better. oh, and used it like a comb on the top leaves of my enormous mass of Java Fern covered DW. Maybe close to 20 inches across.

I also need to remember to get some Purigen packs for the 3 main tanks. Price went up on those as well. :(

Found a AC 110 filter new in box for $74.99 tax made it 79, and free shipping. It was like $20-24 for an impeller and like $45 for a motor, the top piece has a crack and the housing. I have extra intake tubes I already bought previously. But I will start using the new one on the 30G Waterbox when it arrives, and put the old one back on the SW tank for another week. Swapping the insides for SW and FW switch.

That is a good deal, mostly seeing them $89 or $99. So it makes more sense to me to just buy the new one. Plus you get all the new media. I can probably sell it for a few bucks because I do not need it.

Fish look happier. I was too exhausted to do any more than that recovering from the flu. Planning for more leaf scrubbing soon. It sure kicked up a brown mess.

Tank looks almost clear, just hazy as I added in some more Accu-Clear. Maybe tomorrow can do the canister filter.

Purchased a bunch of medicated foods from Angels Plus. Has been a few years now since I have been out and I would like to be prepared for the future and have them on hand. I know not deworming can have issues and also not having mecation on hand when needed. I would have treated my Neons sooner if I had had medicated food. It costs $15. for shipping which is crazy to me but I just did it.

Got anti protozoan, 2 dewormers and 2 antibiotics (gram neg and pos).

That should be enough. But "ouchie" on the pocket book. Keeping fish isn't a cheap hobby. Not exorbitant but NOT cheap. $56.90

Look at it as $56 worth of fish I may be able to keep alive in the future, but not being able to buy $56 worth of fish now. :/

Hoping to get enough energy to get the 72G canister filter rinsed out.

Cleaned out the FX5 canister filter again. I'm doing this more often and so much better at it now, faster too.

I did forget that I had fine polishing filter pads so I used the medium one. Then realized I put them in the back corner of the fish stand and have like 6 at least. I think I ordered some more, duh. I don't usually put anything in there, lol.

Ordered more Hikari Fancy Guppy food and 500G 1mm Northfin Krill Gold/Pro food.

Ordered from Chewy and they had an auto ship up to $20 off deal so I used that. Their pack of 1mm food in 500G was about 15. cheaper than most other places, not sure if it was an error or what. But that got me 20 off of my dog food and fish food, can change the autoship or cancel any time! Sold!!!

Anyway spent almost all my hobby fun money. Saved just enough to get a group of blue shrimp.

Need to work on the tank to get it ready. The hobbyist let me know the Blue Mosura and Panda are available, I think 6 and 8, waiting for pics of actual shrimps I would buy.

I wouldn't expect any bait and switch from this guy. But many times you see a pic of various grades of shrimp and wish that all you would receive would be the best ones and might end up disappointed. I want to purchase a grade I expect to receive. So getting pretty excited about it!!!

It seems it was a long and busy day. Was goung to just count an approximate of how may CRS shrimp were in the 12G Black Edge. Started by thinking I could just vac out a bunch of muck.

But I couldn't just do something in 45 minutes I had to take the tank down. There was just too much disgusting filthy scum in the sand.the tank was nearly full of moss, Subwassertang and plants, the shrimp could barely get around in there except one corner hadn't really filled in all the way yet.

Happily found 2 Pygmy Cories, and disappointingly only found one Blue shrimp, a Crown Mosura. Very pretty but not my lovely adult, or the other adult with a dark head band. Oh well. Trying to make up for the 6 week absence back all Jan. and early Feb.

Life takes us places we don't know we will need to be sometimes, and I do not regret the spending that time away doing that, but do miss the shrimp.

Asked the local hobbyist if he was still interested, and in how many. Also plan to see if the 50 minutes away "LFS" would want them. They told me they would be interested and to let them know when I was ready. I might call them tomorrow.

Tank is rinsed lightly and running with just the sand and the filter, and fine filter polishing pad.

The shrimp are in a bucket with a bubbler and a heater at 72F - the house is set at 70 and I don't even think it will come on for the next couple days.

The question atm, is what to do with lone blue and the 2 Pygmy Cories.

Okay... one last very exciting thing, my pair of Dwarf Pencilfish / Nannostomus marginatus spawned a baby which is about an inch long now!!!

They seem to accomplish this when no one messes with their tank for weeks on end...

They have so many fish in the tank which could eat the babies and I am so happy one of them made it! They will be moving to a nano fish tank or the bigger fish will be moving out of that 30G tank in the near future. That tank is still on the redo list.

Back
Top Bottom