What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday, did the 72G pwc 65%.

Later that evening and as I went by the tank to close the shade, it was noticeably warmer on the bowfront glass than usual. Like a warming pad.

I paused and noticed heat like a sauna coming from the glass. Usually, it is a little warm next to the big 4' glass.

Checked the water and WOW, it was toasty. Fish were heavy breathing.

Added an air bubbler.

The little bobbing thermometer was broken / cracked. Grabbed the other thermometer and it gave me an obviously incorrect reading. The stick-on glass thermometer tab was off the chart. Tried to get a reading from an also not quite working correctly handheld thermo checker. I guess it was in on the cabinet because it wasn't working right. The working one was somewhere near the BBQ, according to DH.

Didn't have enough time to look. It was really hot maybe 100ish F I thought 92F, but if we are 98.6~ it was even warmer, like a lower warm temp hot tub. Opened up the lids to vent and unplugged one heater. But then in moving it, saw the one next to it was still "ON". So got that one off.

I lost at least 2 fish a Gourami and maybe the SAE. Found the degraded bodies. They had passed earlier. Not sure how long this has been going on.

Drained down about 1/3 and started a 1-2 hour process of getting the water temp a little cooler, and allow it to return to the ~80F it normally is at. I am so sad that the little fish were suffering.

Had just last week, walked past an electronic digital controller at the lfs. Wish I would have grabbed it.

Planning to get a controller for that tank. Not sure what to do with the smaller, equally at-risk tanks. Tank is back to a normal temperature.

This heater is a Fluval 100W submersible heater. I think it is the newer one I bought. It was sitting next to the other Fluval lower Watt heater in the tank. :(

Creamsicle is mending again. Tail looking better.

:nono:
What are you using for Creamsicle??? My daughter has a Pink Orchid and has fin rot. I’ve been using ParaGard but I’m not sure it is working.

What are you using for Creamsicle??? My daughter has a Pink Orchid and has fin rot. I’ve been using ParaGard but I’m not sure it is working.

Wow, it has been a long time since my posting. I apologize for not seeing any notification for the thread. If the fish is still hanging in there I have a long thread about taking care of a very sick Betta which was imported.

You can scroll to post #13 regarding the part where I am treating him and the progression of the treatment and things I did to help as much as I could.

Epsom salts and some aquarium safe salt. Up to 100% water changes, feeding in a different container to keep out any additional degrading food waste and then finally Seachem Kanaplex which is Kanamycin. Post #20 was the one where I started medication.

"KanaPlex™ is a blended kanamycin based medication that safely and effectively treats several fungal, and bacterial fish diseases (dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemia). Because it is absorbed by fish it is useful in treating internal infections in those situations where food is refused. It does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon." quoted from
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailym...22b3-4b51-4bac-8a89-db5f8b6ae252&type=display

Importing A Thai Betta -
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/importing-a-thai-betta-the-experience-367697.html

Using Epsom salts in fish therapy:
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html#post3548383

What have I been doing, a bunch of things since I had posted.

Up front, declaration of sadness. I had to leave out of town back then and when I returned Creamsicle was floating recently passed away in the top of the tank. So a failure there, as I do not know what was his illness as I didn't see it progress further.

Did see all 3 Butterfly Loaches, very happy they are all alive, would like some Reticulated ones to add in.

Purchased a pair of Albino Millennium Red Rainbow (Glossolepis pseudoincisus) Male is a very pretty bright red orange and the female is a golden orange. I hope to get a few more and add a few of a breeder friends little Turquoise Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris) in the 72G when I get the chance to go to his house.

In the mean time, I also found some Neon Green Kubotai babies and picked up 8.

As for the tanks, I had taken down the 5G long Fluval Spec V.

Have the 12G Edge Black which is the CRS / PRL parentage tank.

The 12G Edge nano fish / newer white tank.

The 30G Waterbox which has a new addition of 12 Sterbai Corydoras. The speaker at our CAS meeting brought them, and I was one of the only people who bid, so I got one bag of 6 for 24 and the other I think was 20!!! Such a great price, and they have been alive for a month now - so very excited.

I am so thrilled with those for the warm water 72G. Just so looking forward to when I can get to doing a rescape and move fish around.

That is the happier stuff.

Wow, so much has gone on since August.

Been way too busy.

So start with more recent and work back.

Set up a 5G SW pico - only has around 4 G water back in October with a snail and a couple coral frags and blue marble mushrooms. Used cycled rock I had sitting in my 50G SW which is just running with periodic fish food and water top offs and a couple big Turbo snails.

Yesterday got a Black Filament Goby, a pulsing Xenia and a couple snails, a small common clam. Unfortunately didn't see the fish today, they burrow and can pair with Pistol shrimp, so hopeful he's hiding/

Also had to stop by several fish stores yesterday to drop off Holiday Party invites to store owners for CAS. Was able to get something I didn't even know existed - Meyers Dwarf Hatchetfish, Carnegiella myersi. Picked up 7. All alive today!!! They are not rare apparently. The lfs in Boulder said they get them all the time. Also found out this is apparently Pencilfish shipping season so I may order a group of Coral or Purple Pencilfish next month. I need to get the fish moved around in musical tanks.

Also got 6 new Cardinal Tetras.

And 2 Ranch GF babies one metallic and one white with red.

Looks like I will end up with 5 fish tanks. I was trying for 4 but the Pico SW tipped the scale.

72G Warm tank Clown Loaches and Sterbai Cories with Cardinals Silver Hatchets and Wadai Tetras.

30G with the 2 GF and some White Cloud Mountain Minnows and plan to keep it with Aeneus "Venezula" which I picked up at the fish auction. They have a good overlap of pH. temp and KH.

Then the nano fish tank, fish may be able to split into the other tanks.

Still hope to have a Blue Caridina Shrimp breeding tank. Not sure if mixed Bee, Blue Mosura /or Blue Shadow or Deep or
Extreme Blue Bolts. There is also an amazing group of Boa shrimp, I especially love the Blue with and orange or yellow tail accents. New year, and newer plans (kinda still the older plan just got put on hold).

Tearing down the 50G SW finally, in a couple weeks. Have someone to take the LR.

What is every one up to this season?

Yesterday I changed 50-60% of the water in my 125 G severum tank & the two Fluval FX4 filters. So many internal components! One would not start up after being cleaned. The motor appears to have gone out. Today I will follow some suggestions from Colin & AutumnSky & see if I can fix it & check motor warranty.

Yesterday I changed 50-60% of the water in my 125 G severum tank & the two Fluval FX4 filters. So many internal components! One would not start up after being cleaned. The motor appears to have gone out. Today I will follow some suggestions from Colin & AutumnSky & see if I can fix it & check motor warranty.

How did it go with getting it fixed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made a big update here - anyone else add in your 2023 tank thoughts...

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/2023-new-year-tank-fish-thoughts-380678.html

Pretty much feeling nostalgic from my past tanks after seeing some of the older pics.

But I am looking forward to the future tanks fish switches. The clean up of the 72G rescape is really the next major thing. The tank is improving from algae, but is going to be quite a bit of work cleaning off so many leaves. Still considering adding a CO2 unit but probably not for 6 months. I will have to be traveling a few times and working a lot during that time. Making it too stressful to try to manage a brand new system during that time.

Good wishes for beautiful tanks in 2023. I am happy for a new year and won't miss 2022. :fish1:

It fixed itself! I did absolutely nothing & it started up and is still running. I see a new motor on the horizon, but it’s ok now.

Been making baby steps progress working on the tanks.

Basic water changes mainly.

Took a few pics of my SW mussel. Just bigger than a regular thumb nail. Will post a pic asap, forgot to upload it. Then saw a snail or hermit maybe caught in the crack of a rock. That's where it went downhill. Lol. Saw my baby mushroom was moved then in trying to sit it up on a rock to see it better it floated over the rock into the lost canyon. So in attempting to retrieve it had to remove water which I had just refilled. And saw that my frag had fallen back off the ledge it was on and the larger Turbo snail was apparently the bulldozer which knocked it off. Had to move half the rock to try and find the baby mushroom. Never did, it was the size of the end of a pencil eraser. :( anywY made a giant mess of the tank. But was excited to find a few pineapple sponges. Anyhow the Pulsing Xenia was already multiplying onto a neighboring piece of rock. I love it so maybe will just keep the crazy stuff in the tank to cover everything. It's invasive. So was the tipped frag. Green star polyps. But also so pretty. So after 10 years of being cautious and never keeping it for my display tanks. I decided to let her rip in the 5G. I love the pulsing Xenia.

Little SW Mussel - behind it is the underside other bigger Blue mushroom. Photo taken with white lights, Mussel isn't glowy under blue light.

60074-albums14899-picture73148.jpg

60074-albums14899-picture73147.jpg

Pulsing Xenia
60074-albums14899-picture73150.jpg

Blue Mushroom with Pineapple sponge at 7 -8 o'clock position under the edge of the mushroom, behind on the rock, it's white, you probably will have to tap the pic to make it large enough to see.

60074-albums14899-picture73149.jpg

Last edited:
Woke up in a bad mood...so watched the tanks for a bit then did water changes on both (one trying to figure out what is wrong with the Kribs) watched a bit longer while drinking my coffee and now I'll do some school work sitting in front of the tank. In such a better mood!

I added a 12” common pleco to an underpopulated 125 g cichlid/syno cat tank. Some local had him in a 35 g for 6 years. Poor baby. He’s doing great! A big pretty thing.

Monday got all the water changes done on the big 2 tanks and Sunday got RODI water for refilling the SW nano.

Lost a fish to what might have been internal parasites. Dewormed the first round, need to wait a couple weeks for the next dose in the 30G Waterbox. I had planned to move the 2 Rainbow pairs into the 72G, but will wait until after this next round to see how the fish are looking.

More of a catch up for the week.

I watched pods in my SW cube. Still haven't figured out how come the Xenia pulses when the lights are off sometimes and sometimes it doesn't! Will have to look that up. Also fun to watch the snails cleaning the glass and the 1 Hermit crab prowling around looking for snacks. Local SW fish store was out of Pom Pom Crabs and Sexy shrimp.

Also bought a piece of glass to put on top of the 5G SW nano cube, and ignorantly thought it was going to have finished edges, which was not the case and found out it was extremely sharp. And not ready to sit on top to help reduce evaporation. :(

Also planning a FX-5 filter clean out on Saturday.

Noticed all my panda corys out in a feeding frenzy.

CuBX8Bw.jpeg

So cute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did water changes on the tanks.

Watched the SW snails again eating algae off of the coral stone, and making them white again. Well at least in spots.

Cleaned out the algae which tends to grow in the floating plants in the 12G Edge. I keep intending to spray them with H2O2, but usually end up distracted. Maybe I will pull them back out and spray them now - while I am thinking about it. (y)

Zapped the plants and picked off more algae, used H2O2 spray, but then used some CO2 Booster on a couple of Anubuas micro and some A. augustifolia, when floating they form a clump. A couple Crypts roots got some H2O2.

Well see.

Also side note, wear gloves... duh, someone didn't. Had to use some baking soda to get rid of the stinging. Also didn't wear gloves this afternoon while doing yardwork so tons of mini scrapes and scratches. Ouchy. Learn from others mistakes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom