What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found 14 lil baby skrimps in my ac50. Guess they found a way to beat the sponge defense...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Found 14 lil baby skrimps in my ac50. Guess they found a way to beat the sponge defense...

What kind of sponge are you using. The cylindrical Fluval one or the rectangular AquaClear one? If is the latter, then the pore size is too big to stop them. If it's the former, then I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Spent a bunch of time cleaning out the containers of tank liquid and muck from the shrimp substrate and getting it clean for the new tank set up for the TT shrimp. Looking forever in each cup and tub to make sure I didn't get any baby shrimp.

Sunday I actually found about 5 extra shrimp I didn't end up catchin in the tank.

"Loachie" (new Clown Loach), as the little child who held him and handed his container to me named him, seems to be doing well. He ate well last night - two kinds of food. Likes to hide under the Spiderwood next to the rock.

The BV and TT shrimp survived another night in their plastic tubs.

Added water to the tanks for evap.

Last night found a nice red shrimp from the Chocolate Cherry shrimp tank was dead and being eaten by other hungry shrimp.

It was bright red and it had bright blue shell underneath and on the side sorta like if it was a Rili pattern. Red white and blue shrimp! I never saw the blue before (maybe it just hid so I never saw this one) so not sure if developed after death or what...very curious.

My shrimp substrate is in, the tank is the Mr. Aqua 11.7G but it is cloudy. Acclimating the TT shrimp now, adding a few things from the old tank. I already drained out the water and added water over again still cloudy but not as cloudy. humpf.

Ive been eyeing those.... Good taste, my friend. Sounds like sweet setup.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive been eyeing those.... Good taste, my friend. Sounds like sweet setup.

Get good ones. Even stressed they are beautiful orange jewels. Had some setbacks this year with them, but really like them. Here they were in May when I got them, just out of the bag. No good recent pics.

60074-albums13090-picture68861.jpg

Not liking how cloudy the water is still on the new tank btw - don't have the filter on yet though.

"Loachie" (new Clown Loach), as the little child who held him and handed his container to me named him, seems to be doing well. He ate well last night - two kinds of food. Likes to hide under the Spiderwood next to the rock.

Just one clown loach? :whistle: :hide:

My zebra loaches love our spiderwood too :D Funny thing about loaches and driftwood- they like to squeeze themselves into tight spaces in the wild as much as in our tanks. Local people actually catch loaches for the hobby by putting loach-sized notches in driftwood and throwing it into a shallow spot in the river. When they go back a while later the notches will be full of loaches too wedged in to get away quickly :lol:

Wired up a couple temperature controllers I picked up from flea-bay , 10 bucks a piece and they work excellent , can run either cooling fans if I ever need them as well as my heaters. Only thing I do not like is they read in C and not F , but I can live with that.

Other discus isn't gonna make it. I'm worried about the tank but can't cancel the order, It's too late. I would be even more worried if my other fish are acting strange but they aren't and are chowing down on algae. I think it was the long term effects if the goldies as Poppa had told me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of sponge are you using. The cylindrical Fluval one or the rectangular AquaClear one? If is the latter, then the pore size is too big to stop them. If it's the former, then I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its the AC one. I'm going to order the fluval one next week.

So far discus is still alive. My dad's watching him but I don't know how he's acting or anything

Big WC when you get home. Gotra stabilize the water params

Big WC when you get home. Gotra stabilize the water params

He didn't make it. My dad told me and pulled him out. I'll make sure everything is okay once I get home. Clean the tank and everything.

It wont stop the mini cycle. Dont add the new guys til its settled and consistent. Would hate to see you lose them. Next time get your discus from me. We could of circumvented the delivery til you were ready... Live n learn. You got this brother.... I have faith.

Sini - adopted 1 Clown loach from a guy woth a 29G tank... Lfs didn't have any to add to QT, but hunting down a couple more heading into the metro area at the end of the week where there will be many available. I think this one is a male he is narrow, not broad. ;)

Just one clown loach? :whistle: :hide:

My zebra loaches love our spiderwood too :D Funny thing about loaches and driftwood- they like to squeeze themselves into tight spaces in the wild as much as in our tanks. Local people actually catch loaches for the hobby by putting loach-sized notches in driftwood and throwing it into a shallow spot in the river. When they go back a while later the notches will be full of loaches too wedged in to get away quickly :lol:

Awww poor thing :( glad you saved him! I figured you had a reason and I was curious (y) How big is he?

About 3.5" and a little thin, think he came from a lfs about 2 weeks to a month ago. The guy just didn't realize what he had bought in terms of the size they get.

Long ago I adopted some fish and one was a 7+ year old CL guy who was stunning and 10-12".

side note - Earlier I mentioned I am scouting for a (used good condition) 125+++to 200+ish tank to set up for Discus but that build is far down the road probably next year. Prefer the over 200G. :brows: I can always get a 150-180G and upgrade again later.......:D I will be setting aside $$$ just in case I find the exact one sooner than later. Decided to curb some of my present fish wants and stocking to go towards the bigger tank.

After the short time of having that beautiful Clown, even temporarily, I fell in love. He went to a friend who has about a dozen in, if I remember correctly a 210G. Though I would have loved to have her - think it was a she.

Sini or others??? Is three an okay number obviously more could be better for their happiness. (lets say for a min. 125G) I just don't want to grab 5 more little ones only later to realize I have Clown Loach fished myself out of the size tank I end up with.

New little tank is clear as can be now btw, am a little surprised.

3 is the bare minimum acceptable number IMO. I always recommend 5 because if I say 3, then people will only get 3 and they are MUCH happier with 5 or more in my experience. I've kept groups of three of one loach alongside groups of five of another and the side-by-side difference really stood out to me. But 3 is enough for happy loaches.

If he's a little thin (and if you aren't already) I recommend a prazipro soaked food treatment. If that doesn't help, metro or epsom medicated food may also help. Wasting disease in loaches is depressingly common :(

It wont stop the mini cycle. Dont add the new guys til its settled and consistent. Would hate to see you lose them. Next time get your discus from me. We could of circumvented the delivery til you were ready... Live n learn. You got this brother.... I have faith.

I won't and thank you for your help. I was planning on getting my next discus from you already if you are selling some of the ones I would like but that won't be for a while.

Back
Top Bottom