What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off, I started on the substrate on the 80G River!!! Sand is rinsed and in 60lb.

Mexico imported beach pebbles are next! I figure just get it in there and fine tune it later.

I really believe the Loaches would love silty sand mud or sand.

They come from varying places, even changing from one season to the next what the habitat looks like.

In my spare time, though not very often I keep watching video of locations that the various fish come from. It is really hard to find some of these.

The scaleless fish (still learning which ones are which as I encounter new fish which become of interest) usually have softer substrate, certainly not like my Eco-Complete in the 72G.

It seems like Cories, which I first heard you couldn't keep them on substrate that wasn't sand, actually turned into not on substrate that is dirty in water that isn't changed very often because it erodes their barbels.

The fish like to nose into the substrate looking for morsels when it is softer, and with the Clown Loaches, it seems they could make their mouths like a short straw an suck up snails and worms, etc.

If they have healthy strong bodies, they can wiggle in between things and still suck up stuff from between the stones.

Have watched the Clown Loaches stick their perfectly created nose /mouths (snouts) into the crevices between and suck out MTS snails from the spaces as they fell there or were descending to the safety of the substrate. They wiggle just a little to move the stones and swoop up a treat.

Which in the 80G river build will be wonderful for the Loaches. The little beach "sand" pebbles are like miniature river rocks ~2-3mm.

Looking forward to that tank. In the 72G the newest addition of the Yoyo Loaches there is an interesting observation. They hang out with, swim and act just like the Clown Loaches!!! Mirroring their swimming pattern just like the other Clown Loaches do. 5 Yoyo and 5 Clown Loaches (one really big F one doesn't tag along with the others of a more similar size as often as the others which are of a more similar size).

When the 72G gets a rescape, (after pulling stuff out for the 80G River, I am hoping for the center to get a sand "pool" addition.

Pics in the next couple days.

Darn Cypress knees is dry bone at the top making it still popping up.

Need to add the soft purple red sand to the tube sand, blend the mix to a better color to match the beach pebbles and river stones!!! Squee!!!

Welcome Bigfootfreak!

Yesterday was able to add all the sands and stones. (Today was yard work day)

The qwikcrete sand
60074-albums14790-picture72466.jpg

Both sands includes the fine sand before mixing
60074-albums14790-picture72467.jpg

Then also the sand bag getting a re-purpose for holding down the Cypress knees DW. Added the 2 heavy stones and zip tied the bad to see if it would work and it does! Using it like a saddlebag with weight on each side!

60074-albums14790-picture72468.jpg

60074-albums14790-picture72473.jpg

60074-albums14790-picture72471.jpg

Mixed sand with the stones - not arranged, water is too dark yet to see anything. Will do a vac and get all the scum off the substrate - it is from the DW bark flaking off :(.

80G River build tank has cleared up 50% on its own. But I think if I start messing around in there it will just cloud back up again.

AND, I am going to be at home for awhile it seems, so ordered 40 Golden Bee Shrimp!

pic of them /their friends is at the new thread
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/ordered-golden-bee-shrimp-372075.html#post3538834

Bleached all the nets and buckets and cups, containers, etc. I have been using lately as I have new buckets which are supposed to only be for new water for water changes. Since I still have some bleach.....

Anyway, no sick fish right now and happy for that.

Searched pics of Endlers and saw that my "Endler Colony" looks like Campoma El Tigre for the most part.

Took about 40 pics and you would think one would come out, right? Wrong! All messed up.

They have a vertical bar from the dorsal down and usually 2 red spots behind that towards the tail and pretty bright green in front of the bar on the lower chest and green horizontally from the bar towards and sometimes into the tail. Dorsal sometimes has a touch of black like the bar.

A few are slightly different, but all look very much like many of the El Tigre pics from Compana Venezuela. Probably not super special but males are young now, just getting colors in and very flashy. Like them. (y)

We will see if the babies all look like the parents (will keep them all together for the strain) and if not I will mix them in the males tank and the females tanks.

Also found a small number (so far?) but new drop of fry in the Panda Endlers tank! This one I am very excited to see also if the babies are like Panda Endlers or mixed up. Same thing for them, if mixed up they will go to appropriate males or females tank.

Did a 2G pwc on the Panda Endlers tank.

Added minerals to the SW tank.

Added evap water in the other tanks.

Moving all the rest of the snails out of the snail bowl, been doing this for a week every day or 2 as I see them. Using their substrate after I get it rinsed, in a different tank.

Last edited:
Was able to add 5 more PRL to the shrimp order!

Getting some bio-floc for the shrimp. Very interesting topic in fish and shrimp farming.

And looking into using K1 media still. Just have to see how easy /difficult it will be to incorporate it into the system. Economically.

Ordering new various leaves for shrimp and tanks, and got some frozen food for the fish as well as Clarity water clarifyier for the 80G.

Managed to dump 3+ gallons of water on the floor....ugh.

Extra clean floor now!

Well went and ended up getting SeaChem Clarity and the 80G is still just as cloudy as it was before I put it in... maybe try an additional dose.

I wanted API Accu-Clear but they were out except for an very large 32oz pond size and higher price because of the size.

Really wanted to get the Endler Colony in there today :nono:

And the Cypress knees DW just popped out of the water when I added the last 2 buckets. Had to rearrange the rocks saddle bag "weight" and still it was kinda popping up.

And it was an excuse to wash every towel and bath matt to soak up water. Lol.

My hubby heard the bucket crash and all I could yell was “no problem” “I got this”. As I scrambled to grab towels and funnel water out of the hall back into the bathroom [emoji23]

Got my DIY canister filter hooked up, the only leak was the spraybar and fiddling with the silicone seal fixed that!

Partial water change, because I am a fanatic. Still have one (living) new assassin snail refusing to move. Dude I can see you peeking, you are alive! His buddies are happily munching on all the pond snails!

Looks like I will need to add a few more rocks in the ole sand bag of rocks for the 80G.

The water is as cloudy as before, this mid day, I added 2 large pads of bulk filter over the intake area, above the filter socks that are sitting in there. but nothing really is better.

The 2 pumps are moving water but not super strong.

Thinking to add the spare FX-5 and see how that rolls the water through. It has been sitting for appx. a couple years, hoping it works still.

Bought lots of stuff for the new shrimps, and fish tanks.
list is in post #9
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/ordered-golden-bee-shrimp-372075.html

Planning for a few moves for some fish.

So much to do right now.

Expecting my order from Jungle AquaShrimp to arrive about Friday, also same day for the Golden Bees, as well as the PRL shrimp in the next probably 2 days - could be Wednesday but likely Thursday. So they are the priority.

Moving 5 male Guppies from Thai Betta's tank tonight to the 72G.

Late night fish keeping...

Sorry you're all probably sick of hearing from me...

So went to the cube to move the Red Guppies, and saw that the filter was stopped, and also the other QT tanks as well, the GFI popped for some reason maybe old? Not too sure, whats up. Barely anything running on it.

So got that back on and got out the Red Guppies and one gold from the auction and added them to the 72G. Fed some snails to the Loaches.

Was only able to catch one Neon and 2 Endlers in the Wine Glass which has about 30 stems off the Tiger Lily and a million duckweed plus DW and cords from the sponge filter air bubblers and heater, nightmare - they were on to me and hid behind everything even after I turned off the light trying to be extra sneaky. I used a black net too!

Moved them, accidentally caught a few Ghost shrimp in the duckweed and threw them back in the wine glass.

Did pwc on
Wine glass 2G

Betta Cube 2G - Cleaned filter because it wouldn't start back up - had old moss stuck in the impeller

Waterbox Guppy Endler grow out 5G

20G Long Endler colony QT 5G

Panda Endlers 2G - Saw about 15-20 babies in there!

Bed time for everyone in the house.

Found the Coral Banded shrimp eating a Bristleworm!!! Which is good. Cause although they are useful in the tank, there were too many. I had suspected he was chomping them because there were many less than last year.

60074-albums13960-picture72482.jpg

And you can see the fish in the SW tank, don't get too many pics of it because I don't really like it. I like the fish and Shrimp, and creatures, just not the tank itself. Gonna change the background because it looks wrong.

60074-albums13960-picture72481.jpg

Whilst cleaning out the 72G FX-5, I found a Kuhli Loach plopped out the spout of the exit water, and then upon opening, 2 more INSIDE!!! That was very scary! They were plump and pale looking not having seen the light of day for awhile! Who knows how long?!?

I guess getting the SS prefilter is a very good idea. Maybe here Friday.

AND on the second FX-5 which had been sitting in a corner outside, it seems that the O rings 2 each side where the quick connect is for the intake and outflow were broken.

Of course what I had on hand to replace them 1 size was too thick and the other size was a bit too thin. Upon testing it, it seemed maybe was sucking air - which would make sense if the O rings were too thin, not holding pressure, but they didn't leak.

Going to try the hardware store I guess.

Moved the Rainbow Shark out its temporary home in the 12G Edge to the 72G, and found the 2 Amano shrimp which I hadn't seen for awhile! (y)

There were at least 7 Pencil Fish.

Bwahaha I love Kuhlis! They love high flow, not shocking they would end up in a filter!

About all I am doing today is yet another water change, and clipping some of my java moss in prep for the triop tank. I am hoping it will grow on coral rock. Thinking guppy grass and maybe some floater on the rest of the tank. I will be grabbing some sea shells from a buddy. Guppy grass could pass for "seaweed". This will be a FUN tank with the waterfall!

My shipment of fish came in two days ahead of time. I am... Baffled as I will have to pester them again in a day or two to add plants! But I have them aclmating, ill share pictures when I have them settled. I will see how things go, I may have to add a few big mystery snails to clean algae off the glass. I don't know how good rili shrimp are for keeping plants and glass topped up. Just gotta get snails big enought the asassins will not eat them, I am considering getting ramshorn snails for the triop tank. They breed fast so I can chunk them into the assassins for food, and they will love the coral rock and higher ph!

Gotta love the USPS tracking notification. Last night the info said the package was at a station - as in the beginning of the shipping process, after no update since Monday.

Today, an unexpected knock at my door and a little package on the door mat!!!

PRL shrimp have arrived - It seemed very cool but I am getting their bag warmed in some water to room temp. I do not think there was any dead ones, and I also do not think there was any extra sent in case of DOA. Will do a check up soon and find out.

2 days from MA - appx. 2000 miles not bad! The package looked in good shape. Glad we weren't having a blizzard /icy weather!

Shrimp packed with a large piece of plastic green netting. Hoping acclimation goes well.

Earlier this morning checked pH in all the tanks in the fish room. all around 6.4-6.8 depending upon which tank.

And the tap water which was 6.7 between the 2 colors.

Will be doing a check on the water they arrived in as well.

Yayayayayayayayaya!

Last edited:
Still alive and acclimated, just waiting for the mess that is their new tank to clear...

Might have to give them an overnight in a bucket. :/

Loading a few pics in a min.

Back
Top Bottom