What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are 2 babies in there, but they wouldnt both get within frame for a photo.

I tend to get 1 or 2 new corys every couple of months, including ones that i rescue from the bottom of the canister when doing maintenance.

I have pretty hungry fish, despite over feeding:whistle: Though I have also rescued a couple from the canister filter and tank, Plecos mainly. And got a couple of Pencilfish which added to the group. Always a cheer to see the tough survivors!

Watching the biggest Clown Loach digging out the MTS from the corner where I dropped about 30 of them a few days ago when cleaning out the 30G Waterbox tank! The medium CL are digging around there and nearby as well. The MTS were med. lg size, so worth the digging, lol. A fellow CAS member mentioned he'd drop off a handful RH snails for my little snail eating CL friends!

I have pretty hungry fish, despite over feeding:whistle: Though I have also rescued a couple from the canister filter and tank, Plecos mainly. And got a couple of Pencilfish which added to the group. Always a cheer to see the tough survivors!

Watching the biggest Clown Loach digging out the MTS from the corner where I dropped about 30 of them a few days ago when cleaning out the 30G Waterbox tank! The medium CL are digging around there and nearby as well. The MTS were med. lg size, so worth the digging, lol. A fellow CAS member mentioned he'd drop off a handful RH snails for my little snail eating CL friends!

I’ve had shrimp and snails get into the canister but a whole pleco? Lol. I added sponges over my intake and now I don’t see as much in there.

I’ve had shrimp and snails get into the canister but a whole pleco? Lol. I added sponges over my intake and now I don’t see as much in there.

Fluval FX5 canister intake is huge - has really big vertical slats like a cage, size of my hand, and they're babies, skinny little 1/2+ inches!

Fluval FX5 canister intake is huge - has really big vertical slats like a cage, size of my hand, and they're babies, skinny little 1/2+ inches!

Oh and Kuhlis... love to slip in there, think there were 3 once! When they were thinner, younger. Which was weird how they all decided to go!?!

New blue rim Betta is still alive. Had to move him to the 5G QT. He's very reserved, staying back from the front of the tank. The Giant Danios were kinda scaring him with how active they are.

I added a huge ball of Amazon sword for cover. Added the Pearl Gourami trio to the 30G Waterbox. They are full grown. Male had some hit marks from the previous tank owners inhabitants getting up towards breeding age from babies.

Will need to get the busy body Giant Danios to the lfs tank.
They are really beautiful fish though, I love their flash of color darting and swirling in the water like a underwater ballet performance. How 4 fish swim so fast, I think I see 5 or 6, hahaha.

Pretty Giant Danios went to the lfs. The biggest one had red hint in the fin. They were really so cool.

With the Crazy Danios gone, the Gourami are venturing out and swimming around a little now.

Picked up a new pack of Betta food. I think I will order a kind from Northfin. All the fish love the Community food.

Cleaned out pesty algae tufts from the CRS previously PRL tank.

Found a newborn fry! There were at least 5, maybe 6 ages of babies and juveniles. Upon looking at the shrimp.

Still I can't decide which tank to put the PRL-esque CRS shrimp.

What I did to my tank today

I spent the day emptying the tank and getting rid of it. I'm getting a brand new one with new plants and decorations, we are not sure if we want glofish or just black gravel. This one will be safer and easier for me to take care of properly. My ultimate goal is a glofish, neon and cardinal tetra tank. I haven't decided on the "cleaning" crew yet.

Tough day in the fish room. Find the 80G tank with a sick fish.

Know that the past due water changing and delay of cleaning out the canister filter, and extra feeding of the bigger fish has caused stress. Found that the pump was disconnected again. The water pressure does it I guess or there's a gremlin back there in the overflow chamber.

Get the canister filter rinsed out no problem (also a surprise.) Then decide to get the water changed because the gunk from the ridged tubes blasted out and covered the water with floaty gunk.

This tank gets the rolling water change, out through the canister filter tubing and in by me and my trusty 5G bucket. 2 inches down and get a bucket, plenty of time to fill the next bucket - have a piece of tape at the mark to remind me.

Only problem is the tape is at the higher side of the tank and not the lower side. Ran back to get the other bucket and was talking and dumped in the second bucket with my eye on the high side.....and over flowed the top of the rimless edge on the low side at least a gallon or maybe 2. I dump that bucket fast, cause its heavy. And the tank is taller than my arms reach easily, like my height.

Clean floor.

Start back with water changes and rest the tank and me for an hour. Do a water test for nitrates and boo it was 80. More rounds of water changes and the water was already clear. Magical Fluval FX-5. A bunch of water buckets later it is about 50. I even tested the tap water to make sure it wasn't tainted. Tap was perfect 0. Wow. Bad. :nono: Added Epsom Salts during the water change.

Anyway, did a 33% on the 30G Waterbox. Added ES for them too, as the male Pearl Gourami still has the bite marks from the previous home/ tank he was in.

In the middle of house maintenance and repairs and painting. Too busy again (still). Need to get rid of a couple tanks. 50/50 chance at moving too. :confused::eek::nono: Don't like that! Boo on moving especially so much work.

Tough day in the fish room. Find the 80G tank with a sick fish.

Know that the past due water changing and delay of cleaning out the canister filter, and extra feeding of the bigger fish has caused stress. Found that the pump was disconnected again. The water pressure does it I guess or there's a gremlin back there in the overflow chamber.

Get the canister filter rinsed out no problem (also a surprise.) Then decide to get the water changed because the gunk from the ridged tubes blasted out and covered the water with floaty gunk.

This tank gets the rolling water change, out through the canister filter tubing and in by me and my trusty 5G bucket. 2 inches down and get a bucket, plenty of time to fill the next bucket - have a piece of tape at the mark to remind me.

Only problem is the tape is at the higher side of the tank and not the lower side. Ran back to get the other bucket and was talking and dumped in the second bucket with my eye on the high side.....and over flowed the top of the rimless edge on the low side at least a gallon or maybe 2. I dump that bucket fast, cause its heavy. And the tank is taller than my arms reach easily, like my height.

Clean floor.

Start back with water changes and rest the tank and me for an hour. Do a water test for nitrates and boo it was 80. More rounds of water changes and the water was already clear. Magical Fluval FX-5. A bunch of water buckets later it is about 50. I even tested the tap water to make sure it wasn't tainted. Tap was perfect 0. Wow. Bad. :nono: Added Epsom Salts during the water change.

Anyway, did a 33% on the 30G Waterbox. Added ES for them too, as the male Pearl Gourami still has the bite marks from the previous home/ tank he was in.

In the middle of house maintenance and repairs and painting. Too busy again (still). Need to get rid of a couple tanks. 50/50 chance at moving too. :confused::eek::nono: Don't like that! Boo on moving especially so much work.

Wow - I’m tired reading it! Tough day at office :( Hope the sick fish cones good.

One poorly Neon passed, and one Congo is looking better.

The Endler and Guppies are looking super active. Planning to do another big water change In a couple days, and feed lightly this week.

Also am waiting for order of deworming flake (mainly for the SW but might use in the other fish as well) and new foods.

Got the preschool tank ready to go to school. Need to do a water change. And grab some gallon containers for the refill. It needs to travel there half full. I can't go in to set it up- germs and all. So I will be handing it off at the door of the school. 2 of the 3 Guppues died from the store.

Frog, Female little Betta and snail are fine. Plan to add 1 Endler. And thats it.

Pwc on

I took all the silk plants out of my tanks and accidentally scared my fish. Did more research on my gourami. Stared at it.

One poorly Neon passed, and one Congo is looking better.

The Endler and Guppies are looking super active. Planning to do another big water change In a couple days, and feed lightly this week.

Also am waiting for order of deworming flake (mainly for the SW but might use in the other fish as well) and new foods.

Got the preschool tank ready to go to school. Need to do a water change. And grab some gallon containers for the refill. It needs to travel there half full. I can't go in to set it up- germs and all. So I will be handing it off at the door of the school. 2 of the 3 Guppues died from the store.

Frog, Female little Betta and snail are fine. Plan to add 1 Endler. And thats it.

Pwc on
Busy, busy. Who said fish keeping was relaxing!??

Removed my Pearlscale cichlid from my 215g, to a hospital tank. He suddenly popped up with duck lips. Added salt and sulpha meds to the hospital tank. I use medicated food, but he can't really eat, so he's getting a shallow bath every day for a 5 min dip into antibiotic treated water. Looks a little better after 2 days. Hope he pulls thru cuz he's gorgeous.

Removed my Pearlscale cichlid from my 215g, to a hospital tank. He suddenly popped up with duck lips. Added salt and sulpha meds to the hospital tank. I use medicated food, but he can't really eat, so he's getting a shallow bath every day for a 5 min dip into antibiotic treated water. Looks a little better after 2 days. Hope he pulls thru cuz he's gorgeous.

Hope he gets better quickly. And not feeling relaxed in fish keeping this week!

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
Did the first round of medicated food, the fish seemed hungry and looked like they were eating it. ++ supposed to be only good for 6 days. Bummer since i have other new foods for them to try.

I don't think he can eat. His mouth is so swollen. Really, his lower lip. Looks like a botched plastic surgery, haha! I read where you can put them in a pan of shallow medicated water and while they thrash around they might swallow some. ?? I'm trying it. He seemed to look a little better yesterday

Today the last guppy of the 3 from the store died and the little female Betta wasn't as perky. The filter isn't ideal very small internal whisper. I sent a message to the teacher that I wasn't trying to fish take the tank hostage but that the fish weren't doing well.

Last year was a fish death trauma for her and the class - I am trying to make fish keeping a positive experience. Went with store fish which looked good and a the Betta would kinda QT together. But I guess that wasn't a good idea.

Did a rinse out of the tank and started again. Might just get a new filter for the little tank. It has a little pouch of good ceramic media. But I need to get a better tank set up for them I think.

Fed the medicated flake foods.

Back
Top Bottom