What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did the normal water change to my 40B but also did a massive pruning. Tank almost looks vacant now:

That looks full to me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moving the SW fish critters now.

I swear (really soon) I will learn how to program my lights!!!

Again I need to be out of town at the end of the month :nono:

SW critters are moved.

Went to pick up fish from a graduated college student in Boulder, moving soon to a new life and job.

Got 2 Medium Clown Loaches, 3 glass cats and a Golden Dojo Loach. He had a most beautiful grown Black Clown Knife fish. Oh I loved seeing him, wish I could keep him, not sure there is a way. Free. They are in a tub I think I need to find another heater in the old fish stuff storage room. Not quite emptied yet.

Still have the SW temporary tank. There are a bunch of snails in the rubble, I need to sort it out, was planning it to go into the sump, but it's not quite connected yet and I still wanted to get a smaller valve, and need a reducer fitting for the pump to the tube and valve.

Did pwc on 12 G Black Edge. Pwc on snail, moss, plant tank Spec V. I use the water for the plants.

Added water to the terrariums and planted bowl.

Shopped, looking at new terrarium plant options.

Bought frozen and dry foods.

IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg
Did a water change on the top tank today. Just thought I never shared any pics after I got it done so here are a few, top tank is a little cloudy from the water change.

View attachment 320950
View attachment 320951
View attachment 320952
View attachment 320953
View attachment 320954
Did a water change on the top tank today. Just thought I never shared any pics after I got it done so here are a few, top tank is a little cloudy from the water change.

Looks nice!!!

~~~~

Okay, was gone for nearly 2 weeks. The little 30 day pill trays were packed for 2 weeks and the process was easy for my DH. I did not get the lights programmed correctly so the lights were manually turned on and off.

Overall things went very, very well, though there was one exception. The SW Mandarin Dragonet passed while I was gone. The $50 bogo free, pods arrived quickly but it was too late I guess. It ate foods from commercially prepared bags too and frozen. Everyone says they are high maintenance and need special attention and me being gone was a problem. I do not plan to get another one of them.

What this means is I am selling the just purchased 50G starfire SW cube. That fish was THE reason for not setting up a nano tank after the move. I bought it at a good price and then bought new live sand, light, and a $100, pump, plus some bacteria infused flat man made SW stones to build the base of the rock arch/cave.

My heart isn't in the SW right now. Plan to do a nano tank for my little aged Yellow Clown Goby which I love. Appx. 7 years old.

Here is a pic of the 30G Waterbox looking fresh after a 30% pwc.
60074-albums14791-picture72854.jpg

Center the little fish with the bent spine is the cull from the Wadai Tetras tank. (99.99% will not be breeding and if it did the babies would be eaten immediately)

Also did a pwc on the 12G black Edge mixed Bee Shrimp tank.

Working through all the other tanks.

Have a ton of algae on the white PRL Edge tank, it was next to a window of the back doorway and I added rice paper film on the glass to cut back the direct light. Have to clean that one out next. Saw all the shrimp in there 12, but there are hiding places so the 13th one could be hiding. The babies are growing nicely.

Looking at a group of 17 mostly Deep Blue - Blue Bolt shrimp. The breeder is closing his tank down and selling out. Also a low iron 4G nano tank maybe for a project.

Last edited:
Cories laid eggs yesterday, they are still in the tank so maybe they will last, probably not, but maybe.

Did cleaning on all the glass on the SW, the 12G PRL and the 30G.

Water changes on all the tanks except the 72G. Hoping to do the 72G tomorrow.

Almost a couple weeks ago, bought 20 Orange shrimp they are doing well.

Fed everybody breakfast. Withheld the pleco's wafers because I'm noticing more algae than normal and think maybe he's becoming a spoiled, lazy boy who just wants to sit around and snack on wafers all day. :lol:

Fed everybody breakfast. Withheld the pleco's wafers because I'm noticing more algae than normal and think maybe he's becoming a spoiled, lazy boy who just wants to sit around and snack on wafers all day. :lol:
Haha sounds like the easy life.

I noticed my 2 heaters in my 30G Waterbox just are doing the job to keep the water at 78F. It's appx 67 or 68F can't quite.

I turned the one up 5 degrees and we'll see. It looks like it is on and so does the other one.

Was gone several days and something happened to my newer additions, the Orange shrimp. They were all dead when I got back.

All the other shrimp tanks are looking happy and good.

New babies in the Bee tank, many more white and black - CBS. Thinking they are from the NOT PRL shrimp I moved and / or the dark Blue Bolt. Very pretty and look like a good quality. I would wish they'd have a little blue undertone but they are small still and hard to see, need to find the magnifying glass!

Watched my golf ball size mystery snail lay eggs!! Woo hoo!!! :) always amazing to catch that event!!
She seems to lay a clutch almost once a week!!
I feel that my LARGER mystery snail is... 'over working' her and that they are 'getting busy' a little too much.. she even is starting to wear her shell just above her female organ... it is healing. But slowly... and he stil just keeps getting busy with her....
Beginning to think about getting rid of one of them
. She seems fine. But I really dont know....
Wish I did.....??

Autumn sky
Was anything different in that specific tank?? That is so crazy that you lost all of them but other tanks are fine..

So sorry about your loss. :(

Autumn sky
Was anything different in that specific tank?? That is so crazy that you lost all of them but other tanks are fine..

So sorry about your loss. :(
Thank you. The other tanks were established tanks.

The Orange shrimp were in a QT tank and I did a water change before I left and switched air bubblers, from one which barely bubbled to a stronger one. It maybe stressed them, some looked weak and a few had an odd look to their legs. Kinda frilly and pale. (I was only gone 3 days.)

The slightly strange look was why they hadn't gone into a tank where other shrimp were yet. It is possible that the weaker ones died and messed with the water parameters causing the rest to go.

Not sure really. It is frustrating, sad and disappointing. Though if they had something wrong with them, I am glad they were in a QT not ruin the other shrimp tank colonies.

The Cory eggs didn't make it but maybe one or two survived and the little ones are hiding.

Been doing water changes.

The 12G white new Edge has been an algae producer. Think I mentioned adding a piece of poster board at the sunny end after putting rice paper film on the door's glass still wasn't quite enough to stop it. It is just a L shape and I set it on and take it off if I am doing anything in the tank to keep it from getting wet.

Large reduction in algae. Just some where the front window light might shine through early. Once the tank finds it's balance it will probably be better. Been even leaving the light off most of the time. They Flamingo Crypt has gone bronze and almost no pink now with out the light. And getting holes in the leaves, so will get some shrimp safe ferts. Since so much has been keeping me preoccupied, just not as much time for the fine tuning of the tanks.

One this Edge night before had shut off the power for a repair and the tank filter didn't start back up. AquaClear 20. It has a double intake tube due to the height of the tank, and with a somewhat dirty sponge pre filter, it just didn't have the power to pull water back up. the motor got hot being dry, and when I took it apart, the impeller fell apart. And you know how it goes was like 11 pm and no where to grab a new filter. I previously ended up using my spare AC20 on the 5G SpecV.

So I need to order a couple spare impellers.

The little AC20 filters seem to work perfectly for around a year or so but then often can't deal with the not uncommon storm related power outages to restart. I have had my big filters for years and years AC 110 (maybe 6 years before I replaced it but keep as a back up, it came with a crack at the top of the housing [it was new damaged for ~$7.50!]and got worse over time as I dropped it didn't help) filters which also do not usually have prefilters on them. Maybe something to do with it. The AC 110 is one of my most favorite filters ever. It is a work horse.

Earlier this week i picked up 4 of these puppies. So far they seem rather amusing; watching them swim into the red storm.....

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 21
Just a “watching the fish” sort of day today. :) It’s getting dark and I can see the countless (nocturnal) trumpet snails climbing the left side of the glass. Will do weekly water changes tomorrow.

I’ve also been keeping a close eye on the temperature of my 33 gallon recently because the heater is off for the summer. It’s stayed around 25°C or higher. Sometimes the tank reaches 30°C, in which case I add dechlorinated ice cubes and don’t temp match during water changes (i.e. cold tap only).

Just a “watching the fish” sort of day today. :) It’s getting dark and I can see the countless (nocturnal) trumpet snails climbing the left side of the glass. Will do weekly water changes tomorrow.

I’ve also been keeping a close eye on the temperature of my 33 gallon recently because the heater is off for the summer. It’s stayed around 25°C or higher. Sometimes the tank reaches 30°C, in which case I add dechlorinated ice cubes and don’t temp match during water changes (i.e. cold tap only).

Frozen water and liter and 2 liter soda bottles with frozen water inside can sure help in those high temps.

~~~~~~~~~

Won bids for 11 shrimp will be shipped Monday.

1 Black Snowflake (Galaxy Fishbone type pattern with more lines and dots and swirls) shrimp

5 PRL SS-SSS

5 Red Galaxy Fishbone shrimp

Trying to decide which tank to add for the Galaxy Fishbone shrimp, choices are the 6.6G Edge and the 12G mr. Aqua.

Made a request for some shrimp from a local hobbyist he said he would sell me, but didn't yet follow through.

We shall see what happens.

Also in my 30g Waterbox tank, my 2 purple Mosaic M Guppys have some tail damage. Mainly one 2 big chomps out. It might be the 5 Wadai Tetra group I have in there.

So will move them tomorrow.

Will probably treat the BBA in there too, with peroxide - its awful on the Anubias.

Gonna move my White 12G Edge out of the kitchen area tomorrow.

Planning to move the 72G from behind the couch area over nearer the entryway since you really can't enjoy the fish. in there.

A fellow hobbyist has some super cool fish to sell that he raised.
Peckoltia compta- L134 pleco aka Frog Pleco

Pseudohemiodon apithanos red and black varieties aka Chameleon Whiptail Catfish, so amazing but I do not think there is enough, room with the Clown Loaches. :(

They wiggle around kinda like rays. Times like that I wish I had extra time, money and big tanks :lol:

Looks like there is a tracking number for my auction shrimp, but since it usps hard to tell if it actually was sent yet.

A little maintenance. Shopped for a new shrimp net and bought a small net at the pet store unfortunately has a shorter handle, but wanted a telescoping net like I had before. Still trying to decide which one it was. Quality version I really liked.

Maybe I will check the lfs - I may have left it there one day when I brought in some things for them. They were busy, so I just left my bucket to pic it up the next day, I think I had both little shrimp nets and a zip lock bag. While looking around must have set it down since that was the last time I remember having them.

The shrimp package arrived from Massachusetts to new hampshire regional postal facility this morning Eastern time 12ish AM. - 4 days to get maybe 500 miles. Oh no! Not a good sign. Since I am far far away from that. Looking at least Saturday I bet maybe. It's nearly 2000 miles away. Probably Monday which would be 7 days in transit.

Last edited:
DSC-0468.jpg

I am busy with my Sewellia lineolata. Since I started the flow pump there are more fry every day.

DSC-0468.jpg

I am busy with my Sewellia lineolata. Since I started the flow pump there are more fry every day.

Congratulations! They are wonderful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yup the shrimp delivery is no where. Definitely not delivered.

Went to the in-person meeting for the Colorado Aquarium Society. Bought a few things. Brought home 5 or 6 Neon Tetras. And some Aromatica Limnophila, and a friend of mine gave me a pack of a specially bred line of of Guppies he created. Very pretty. I will have them in QT, maybe not able to get a good picture.

I bought 2 large Goldfish as well but one of my friends had wanted the big Oranda $5. and a big Ryunkin for $1.00 yes 1.00, which another friend took home for a month until I set up the GF home. So only will have one GF soon. Very pretty Calico Ryunkin.

Deciding about which way to set up the GF home. Maybe a pond container or a tank. Was thinking of the 50G tank for a couple of them. I have the FX-5 filter still.

Back
Top Bottom