What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added a few new fishes yesterday:

To one tank i added 8 of these (after removing two pleco yesterday); these fellows are a bit pricey but since i was paying for overnight shipping why not.... they are suppose to have a bit more colour but perhaps they are a bit young...

In tank #2 i added 5 of these to go with the 5 i already have:

In tank #3 I added 8 of these; to join the ones already in the tank. They are a bit pale but hopefully they will colour up tonight or tomorrow...

Also tank #3 I added a pair of these. I think this will be a female (they are very young); but the other one which is almost certainly a male has quite a bit of colour unfortunately he told me very sternly no pictures. I'll check with him later and see if he is more agreeable. I do hope the laetacara araguaiae leave them alone. By reputation they are suppose to be pretty passive towards other species though among themselves they are real bullies:

Alas the other tanks saw no new fishes. Hope they don't feel deprived.

Attachments

• nf3.jpg
    nf3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 30
  • nf4.jpg
    nf4.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 29
  • nf2.jpg
    nf2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 28
  • nf1.jpg
    nf1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 28
Added a few new fishes yesterday:

To one tank i added 8 of these (after removing two pleco yesterday); these fellows are a bit pricey but since i was paying for overnight shipping why not.... they are suppose to have a bit more colour but perhaps they are a bit young...

In tank #2 i added 5 of these to go with the 5 i already have:

In tank #3 I added 8 of these; to join the ones already in the tank. They are a bit pale but hopefully they will colour up tonight or tomorrow...

Also tank #3 I added a pair of these. I think this will be a female (they are very young); but the other one which is almost certainly a male has quite a bit of colour unfortunately he told me very sternly no pictures. I'll check with him later and see if he is more agreeable. I do hope the laetacara araguaiae leave them alone. By reputation they are suppose to be pretty passive towards other species though among themselves they are real bullies:

Alas the other tanks saw no new fishes. Hope they don't feel deprived.
Beautiful!

~~~~~~~~

Update - shrimp should be delivered today by 5. F¹ingers crossed.

Got Cory eggs last night, still there today. Wondering if they will make it tomorrow.

Moved the Guppy pair to the Spec V with the MS and some RH snails and tons almost full of Subwassertang.

Then looked at the Neons and they looked good, but after adding them to the tank today later saw one with a bad tail fin tip. Tried to catch him but he was so sneaky every time and got away. Going to do another water change on that tank. Did 2 gallons on the 30 this morning. To water houseplants. :/

Did water change on the 12G White Edge yesterday.

Changed the water on the Shrimp QT. Looks like I lost at least 1 red shrimp. Saw a part of the body. Had something come up so I haven't got the new tank up. If there isn't a male and Female Red Galaxy FB then I will throw them into the Mixed Bee shrimp tank. Hope to find out tomorrow.

I got a new to me bowfront stand, day before and I can't lift stuff for a few more days so it is still in my car. Can't recall if it is 20" or 24" wide, for $20. Planned to use it if a friend of mine still has my old 16G in her storage. But if not, maybe a 26G bowfront.

Found a nice used metal stand, black Iron which I like for $25. but didn't buy it yet since it's about 45 min. to an hour drive each way. It is perfect I think for the black Edge 12G so not sure on this one but I really like it.

In my spare room, plant and fish room, planning on some changes for a shelf rather than a table for my house plants which means the big SW tank needs to go and Will add the medium tank for the SW fish. Just the 2, though still seeing if we can find the Clownfish Gold nugget x lightening maroon a new home if I go smaller than the 20G long.

Found the base, column and the light for the 6.6G edge, need to be tested for light working.

Found my DD had an approx 100G pond liner spare at her new place. Sooooo I might have to adopt it. DD not into fish.

Guppy pair seem well. Tried to get a pic but the only half decent one of the fish had a reflection. So no pics yet there.

Cleaned the 6.6G de-rimmed Fluval Edge tank after moving around some plants so it would fit on the table.

Still need to consolidate succulents and cacti plants and find a plant shelf as well... almost but didn't buy more Cacti or succulents :[ yay?

Made appointment on the weekend to see the 20" wide metal stand which looks to be a good fit for the 12G black Edge or the 12G Mr. Aqua if needed.

Just ordered Red Mangrove plants. Thinking to create a rock with a mangrove on it coming above the water line and some others around it in the corner. There are a few thoughts about how to scape it and I just can't decide yet about which size SW tank. Probably will try one in a vase as well.

Anyway I will be selling a few of the extra plants locally to help with the expense of building the new SW tank set up, as not sold the other SW tank yet.

Told someone I could help them with building a small SW tank. They're thinking about it.

Someone is drawing a shrimp for my name tags at work. With my SHRIMP on it! LOL! I need to find a good picture :)

Water changes for the 30G and the 72G and the White PRL tank and the temporary Red FB shrimp.

The TUNZE flow pump that I have with the Sewellia is a great advantage. Also for the aquatic plants. I'll put another one in another tank. At the panda garrras

Saying goodbye to some fish today. Getting overrun with panda corys so a friend of the wife is taking them in. Just picking out a handful to give away.

Attachments

• 20210814_115529.jpg
    20210814_115529.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 19
Saying goodbye to some fish today. Getting overrun with panda corys so a friend of the wife is taking them in. Just picking out a handful to give away.

Dang are those cute fish!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Went to the lfs and got some RO water for general top off needs.

Considering using the Salty Shrimp remineralizer for the new shrimp tank.

When cleaning in the storage of fish stuff I did get my small RO unit which fits on the sink tap. But all the fittings were wrong before and couldn't use it (even checking for different fittings from the hardware store).

It is probable the same problem will be here too. Kitchen faucet has a sprayer so no attachment there. 2 bathroom faucets, one doesn't look like it has threads.

Maybe need to unscrew the aerator part on the sink. Then get a different one just for the RO unit. I think it's 50 gallons per day. But since I just need like 5-10G a week should work out. Will just be annoying waiting around watching it for filling.

Another possibility might be to use the shower sprayer hose connector. The 5G water containers can sit in the tub and over flow wouldn't be an issue. Plumbing isn't really my interest area but it is a possibility this would work. Maybe, maybe not. :rolleyes:

Looking to pick up my new to me stand tomorrow. Nearly an hour away...

Which is in the area of a pretty decent lfs. And would like some fish. Either Boraras Brigittae Chili Rasbora or Microdevario Kubotai Neon Green Rasbora, would be the first choices. One or the other if they have them. We'll see how much trouble I can get into, they often have unique specialty nano fish and creatures :brows:

Well I didn't do too bad Sunday. Got an old school smallish metal stand with a space on the top and the bottom for a tank :brows: for $20.

Also got some Ember Tetras 2.99. Just 5 to go along with the other 3 in the 72G. I may get more if I go back again to that far away store. :)

At the cool nano fish lfs, found a couple fish I wanted to buy, but couldn't spend any extra money on. They DID have some small Neon Green Kubotai. They were also 5.99. And the 6 Chili's also 5.99. And Savinia auriculata which was 4.99 or 5.99.

They had lots of nice looking tanks and fish.

What they had that I really have always been mystified over are their super friendly CPD / Celestial Pearl Danios / Galaxy Rasbora. Their whole little tank is Dwarf
Vals in the center and 50 of these guys swimming all over the place, even right in front of the tank with me standing there!!!

When I had 15-18 of these guys I would see just one peeking around a plant stem. If I was across the room they would come out and swim all over but if I got up "poof" they all disappeared except the one peeking around to see what was happening. I asked how they are so bold and not scared. She thought maybe there are so many, they are much more comfortable.

I wouldn't doubt it, but 20-50 of them are beautiful but out of my budget!

Posted updates regarding the PRL shrimp tank with some new pics of the shrimp - home to the Chili Rasboras / Boraras Brigittae. Link below post #12

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/again-prl-2021-new-tank-376909.html#post3566188

The other fish which I would have liked was the Sundadanio Axelrodi var. blue. Stunning little fish, loves low pH and tannin / black water.

Not sure if I mentioned it but also picked up used but very good condition 24" Bowfront stand a few days back for $20.

Planning on my old 12G Mr. Aqua for a Mangrove tank, need to get some new SW sand. It can sit on that bowfront stand which is a little over sized but sturdy.

Was planning on getting the little 6.6G set up still. I think I saw a male and a female Fishbone shrimp remaining which might be worth setting up a little tank for but maybe not. I have almost given up hope on the dark Blue Bolts colony guy actually selling them to me. I think I have been ghosted there. So too bad.

Someone was selling a nice quality brand CO2 unit and a full 10 lb tank. I put out a lower offer since the asking price was out of my price range. LOL no word back yet. :nono:

Gotta get some tank cleaning done, on the big SW I want to sell and the 72G.

Looking at making some changes to the fish stock in the 30G and 72G.

We'll need to see how that goes. I am going to try to do some fish trading. Wish me success.

Last edited:
Had to put fish trading on hold.

Looking at getting the 50G SW tank changed to a FW and saw a video today of someone who did that, but they still used the sump. I do not really want to do that so I think I will plug it. It might take a few weeks to get this done.

There was a local hobbyist looking to rehome a couple fancy Goldfish. I emailed to check if they are still available.

Cleaned out the FX5 filter running on the 72G. I hade watched a youtube video and it was describing how filthy the filter can get even in 66 days and how it can effect the tank, so I was guilted into feeling bad and cleaning it. It was pretty recent but there were so many plant particles and plenty of muck to remove from the sponges. Though tbh, it was one of the cleaner clean outs I have done :eek:

Again, added a new heater to the 30G Waterbox. It just will not seem to get warm enough, about tried 3 different heaters and of good wattage and been running 2 heaters but still around 64/65F.

The new Neons were getting ill. One died yesterday after I captured it and the other 2 are seeming to do okay today.

Added some Epsom salt (1 tsp per G and a teaspoon total of mineral sea salt) to the 30G Waterbox and the Guppies really perked up. I lost 2 Guppies in there this last week and a half.

I have been doing more frequent smaller water changes and I didn't test yet, but wondering if the water is too soft for them. Actually al the fish were more perky this morning in there maybe because of the increasing water temp. Hmmm. About 70F today ~ 18 hours later.

Whichever, it seemed they weren't super happy. Planning filters clean for their tank - a 70 and 110 AquaClear. The intake especially on the 110 is plugged with moss and Subwassertang bits and some leaves off of the stem plant I got.

Thinking about what to do with the SW fish, tank wise. Got a plain old dollar per gallon, tall 20G tank from a co-worker which would probably fit nicely on the new metal stand.

A temporary fix so I can take out the SW rock and see if I can put it a tote in the dark for awhile to get the algae to diminish.

My large number of Mangroves will come this coming week - 10 days. So many things to do!

Added a few pics of the new shrimp
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/blue-bolt-new-shrimp-377852.html#post3566424

Spent a good amount of time tonight to get the 5 Ember Tetras out of the CRS/PRL tank. Got 4 pretty quickly. That last one was MIA. I finally had to pull out a gallon container of plants. to see if it was in there. Also since I had seen about 7 CBS / Crystal Black shrimp, and since I had torn up the entire tank, I was trying to nab them out.

Finally saw the last Ember Tetra, still took removing almost ell plants to capture it.

But was able to get all the Ember Tetras into the 72G tank. They look fat and healthy, and the shrimp population looked noticeably reduced.

So that will be the last time adding fish like that into a shrimp tank. I am surprised really how many less there are. How come I am surprised? I don't know. Stupidity.

Kicked up so much debris from the moss and plants. Had to clean out the water with a new fine filter pad and leaving off the prefilter for an hour. Changed out 5 gallons of water. Put in about 3.5G - left a big amount of room to add more water tomorrow. Didn't want to change the water parameters too much all in one night.

In the morning, will probably change another gallon or 2 just to freshen it up. And tomorrow night then add another gallon or fill it up.

Bummed out about the BB shrimp quality. Disappointed for sure.

Thinking of selling off 90% of the CRS/PRL just do a Bee tank like I had initially thought of doing. Use that money for some new Bees. It would be nice to cut back one more tank.

Added the Blue Bolt mixed shrimp to the PRL /CRS Bee tank. They transitioned well.

There were 9 shrimp I could actually see adults and juveniles. 5 could have been 6 as there is a cup of moss and I am waiting to see if any teeny tiny babies are in there.

For sure one female is berried and the shrimps colors darkened and will just be hopeful that they will look good. The tiny ones looked very much like Blue Bolt pattern probably up to S quality. Hard to tell as they are so tiny.

Moved the Fish bone shrimps to the Bee tank as well. I don't have time to keep a separate tank right now, so if later need to move them, they are easy to see to take them out.

Added Brightwell soil to the mangrove container.

One interesting thing I learned recently from an article from Reef Builders compared the growth of Mangroves in substrate discusses the different growth rate in each but came to find out that with Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro-F which also have in my newer white 12G Edge there was more phosphorus and suited for growing plants.

This brings my algae problem in the 12G white Edge. I am going to order some Phosguard net or bond / or similar and see if there is a reduction. Makes so much sense now.
reefbuilders.com/2019/10/31/freshwater-substrate-vs-aragonite-mangrove-growth-test/

Did a ~65% water change on my 72G it has been awhile. And hope to another one this week to catch up a little.

Was able to sell some Red Mangrove tree seedings at the CAS club. Did a deal to share them with other people gave 2 for the price of 1. Sold 16 of them. I have 11 left which seem to be doing alright. I need to add an additional light over top of them in the vase.

One I put into a cup in the window sill, it gets very good light there till noon and then normal light after. If it seems to like it I will make a little coral stone rubble hill in a vase type container with the Brightwell substrate under it and add another 1 or 2. But in winter the window might get too cold for good growth.

I really want to mount one onto a SW coral stone, as it gets larger put it on top of larger stone pile of stone to grow some Prop roots. When I get some free time, I can research more about what to do as they are growing up and maturing. If I can keep them growing that long!

Also I bought 4 Blue Diamond Guppies and they are very pretty but young at this point.

Did a bit of work on my 40B as tuesday is 40B water change day; the green fuzzy stuff is beginning to take over so next water change I'll have to find an axe and chop it down to size. One of these days i should get a picture of the male Borelli he is turning out quite handsome (the picture of the female is above). He is a bit like a chow barking at everything but quickly running away if someone notices:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 24
Did a bit of work on my 40B as tuesday is 40B water change day; the green fuzzy stuff is beginning to take over so next water change I'll have to find an axe and chop it down to size. One of these days i should get a picture of the male Borelli he is turning out quite handsome (the picture of the female is above). He is a bit like a chow barking at everything but quickly running away if someone notices:

Your plants are looking good.

Yes, share a pic of the M Borelli!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thought I posted it, but did a 65% pwc on the 72G
Then did another 65% on the 72G
Did 2 30% pwc's in the 30G Waterbox. The fish in the tank look pretty good now.

Added the Diamond Guppies to the Waterbox.

Did the water changes on the 2 12G Edge tanks tanks 3G. Picked poof algae off of the rocks and plants on the white PRL 12G. A couple gobs of it.

Last edited:
Updated Blue Bolts group, pictures, last post.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/blue-bolt-new-shrimp-377852.html

Also from the Black 12G mixed Bee/ CRS/PRL tank

60074-albums14863-picture72927.jpg

BBRabbit
60074-albums14863-picture72926.jpg

Red Galaxy Fishbone

60074-albums14863-picture72922.jpg

60074-albums14863-picture72921.jpg

This is the Awesome shrimp Shadow, Not exactly a Mosura and not a Panda, out of some surprising (not exactly all good, but not bad) patterns
60074-albums14863-picture72923.jpg

There are a couple okay BB and some odd ones.

The red Galaxy Fish Bones are pretty decent quality. Didn't get a pic of the Black one.

Regular water changes through the week.

Today did 65% pwc in 72G and 1/3rd in 30G.

Rinsed out the 16G bowfront to do the interim SW tank. Started a thread for that little build.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/nano-b-16g-bowfront-378076.html

Shrimp are looking good.

Fish are doing pretty well.

Need to move the Mangroves as it looks like they aren't getting enough light in the vase. The single one in the kitchen window looks great, and they are in the same water and substrate. Plus warmer in the kitchen window. These are in a partly shaded west window, very shady in the afternoon but also next to a plant spectrum light and cooler room. Warmth and sun.

Keeping up on the weekly and 30G gets more frequent pwc. Shrimps get slightly less.

Did the SW pwc today as it seems I didn't get the inhabitants changed over and I will be going out of town in a couple weeks and don't want the stress of worry in a new tank.

Got a couple Mexican Turbo Snails not quite a ping pong ball size. Just got them acclimated and hope the survive. There is plenty of algae for them. If they stay active, live, look good, in a few days, will grab a few more.

Being they were $3.00 they sure might help the tank and a good investment. I only have a Blue Leg hermit and a couple Astraea snails left I think, maybe not even them, as a clean up crew, since I lost the ones I had in the moving process. Too much rock to see them.

BBA is terrible in the 30G. I think I will just start the Excel and and probably remove the Coffeefolia plant and DW which it seems to thrive upon. I have a COO Dwarf Cray and I haven't used the stuff for years and years so I want to make sure there isn't a problem with him as well as make sure there is no Subwassertang in there as I recall I killed some and Riccia (which for sure doesn't like it) as well, could have been coincidental but I don't think so.

Still some tuft algae in the New 12G PRL Shrimp tank, I removed a handful and will dose a low level of Flourish Excel in there if It turns out will be safe.
https://www.seachem.com/flourish-excel.php

Bumping along with the other fish. Getting time to try some new fish foods again. Looking specifically for the Loaches and Cories. And maybe again try something for the small to medium community fish. The Probiotix seems fine but doesn't really seem like the fish are super better off.

Back
Top Bottom