What does it take to be a moderator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have to say the Mods here are very fair, knowledgeable and helpful. You can't enforce rules and always be the good guy ... Just ask my students!
I expect any new mods to continue the great job done by the current.

Along the same lines, members have to follow the rules and accept the consequences when they don't and not whine and moan. I'm pretty sure I've ... Um ... bent ... A rule or two:eek: ... Don't think I've reached three yet(y) I took the reprimands for said "bending" without complaint:D

TankMan said:
Best....post....of...the night......period.

Agreed. Bacon is the answer to everything. Or was that 42?

I agree that we have some great mods here on AA. They help keep this a fun, friendly forum. Thanks, guys!

20080909-42-bacon.jpg

Ok guys this thread will be closed if we continue on the off topic train. Just a warning, there is a chat room for off topic chit chat, this is not facebook, please stay with the topic at hand. Thank you :)

Wait.... What?!? lol

I was just practicing :)

jetajockey said:
What does it take to be a mod? The answer is bacon. Lots and lots of bacon.

You will no longer be known as jetajockey. From now on you are to be known as bacon!

for the record, I have yet to meet a mod on this forum that isn't willing to go the extra mile. I'm still new and sometimes I'm sure my questions are dumb questions, but they get answered and at the end of the day that's all that matters

Wait! We're not paid? LOL

What does it take to be a Mod? A lot of the qualities have been mentioned, but one that hasn't been yet... Patience. On so many levels. The question I would ask is "Why would you want to be a mod?".

HN1 said:

What does it take to be a Mod? A lot of the qualities have been mentioned, but one that hasn't been yet... Patience. On so many levels. The question I would ask is "Why would you want to be a mod?".

Of course you're paid. Paid in the satisfaction of helping others. Good luck paying your bills with that, though.

Convict2161 said:
Ok guys this thread will be closed if we continue on the off topic train. Just a warning, there is a chat room for off topic chit chat, this is not facebook, please stay with the topic at hand. Thank you :)

Wait.... What?!? lol

I was just practicing :)

Heheheh. I lol'd at this one.

I think it would be kinda cool to be a mod. Almost make me feel special and wanted. Not to mention that it would be a privledge. Lol, imma dork! Is there a rule about bashing yourself? No but seriously, the OP prob looks at it as a privledge and would like to help people as much as they can, not to mention play good cop/bad cop. Actually like someone mentioned before, the mods can't be everywhere all the time so they also look towards the members to point out if something isn't right, or if others are not following the rules.

Moderators are invited to join the team and selection is driven by need. Moderators are generally respected, longtime community members who post in helpful, level-headed ways, avoid fanning the fires of flame wars and show leadership qualities though posts.

When we are looking for new moderators we also look who has helped us in the past with post reports, these bring issues to the attention of the team.

Thank you for your interest, it is good to know we have members who are willing to volunteer their time.

HN1 said:

I don't want to be! No I just wanted to know what's you guys have to do. :)

Moderators are invited to join the team and selection is driven by need. Moderators are generally respected, longtime community members who post in helpful, level-headed ways, avoid fanning the fires of flame wars and show leadership qualities though posts.

When we are looking for new moderators we also look who has helped us in the past with post reports, these bring issues to the attention of the team.

Thank you for your interest, it is good to know we have members who are willing to volunteer their time.

You might want to rethink that with me. ;)

Some places pick mods by watching the forums and picking good reps for the website. Others do it via favoritism and pick their pals only.

From my experience on the internet and being a past mod of two different vehicle forums, you will encounter different mods and their personalities as you will encounter other "regular" people on the forum.

Some abuse their power greatly by bullying certain people and they look for any reason what so ever to toss their weight around and others address stuff in a more diplomatic way. They usually act the same way in real life as well as I've noticed when we've had club meetings in person.

If you want to see really bad moderating I can introduce you all to some R/C websites where mods are picked by their friends and run around going after people like the mob in A Clockwork Orange. They let their pals do as they please and permaban anyone that doesn't do what they want.

As the question has been answered this one is closed for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom