What is a good deal on a tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've often wondered it. Aside from getting one for free what is a good deal on a tank?

I was at the various thrift stores in my area and I saw 3 different types of tanks. I believe one was a reptile tank...so tempted but I am terrified of lizards and snakes...reptiles.

There were 2 29s one was $49.99 and came with a iron stand, hood, crap filter, and something else. I have a few 29 hoods lying around here that I can switch out. Plus I have a discount card for so I could have gotten it for $42

The other one was $59.99 and came with the 29 and a crap wood stand. Should I have bought the first one.

What in your opinion, other than free and over let's say $20 (since if I saw a 29 for under $20 I would pick up in a heartbeat), is a good deal?

Part of what makes a good deal on a tank is what the cost for a new setup thats simular costs locally. Prices for tanks can be widly different depending on where your located and in some areas a $50 price on a 29 gal tank, stand, hood an filter is an excellent deal because the price for something simular new would be 3X that if not more. Where as in other areas that price is not that good because the same thing new might be under $100.

For me it would probably be a judgment call based upon the preceved quality of the tank and the stand. If the tank and stand both appeared to be in good condition then I would consiter the first a decent deal. The $60 for a 29 I would pass up on.

I was lucky. I waited for a long time and found a 50 gal at a garage sale for $25 incl the hood and lights. I had to buy everything else... but it was a really good deal compared to buying it new

I've always considered it this way............It's a good deal if when you want/need the tank, the price doesn't make you say ouch. But I suppose I'm a typical guy. I'd rather spend a little more and have it when I want it then hassal around shopping for a bargain. :lol:

Considering that I just got done helping my neighbor pick broken glass, gravel and fish (including fry) off the floor from a crap stand failure, I think I would have passed on it and maybe gone for the first one, but maybe not if I wind up replacing stuff. Sounds more like a $35 setup to me, especially used. Often you can bargain with thrift stores, so make them an offer. I have gotten some fabulous deals out of the newspaper so I have turned into a cheapskate when it comes to the tank itself.

I purchased a combo 20 gallon that had the tank, full hood, light, penguin 170, thermometer, and heater for $80. was the best deal you can find around here. the next cheapest place for an identical setup was $150.

crazy thing is the place with the more expensive version of the setup had a 55 gallon on sale for $60 with the tank, hood, and light. if only i had the space i would of gotten it. :p

-brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom