What's your favorite Tropical fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Black Ghost Knife a fish that has the unusual ability to regrow a severed spinal cord and nerve cells is being studied by researchers in an effort to find ways to improve treatment for humans who are paralyzed from spinal injuries or degenerative nerve diseases.
Marilyn Anderson, a professor of anatomy and neurobiology at Colorado State University, is growing nerve cells from the black ghost knife fish in tissue culture to find out what chemicals or hormones stimulate the cells of the fish to automatically regenerate.
''When the fish's spine is severed, it sets off a series of events like embryonic development,'' she said. ''We get differentiated nerve cells that form nerve fibers that connect with new muscle tissue. Within one year we have total regrowth and recovery and the new spinal cord is indistinguishable from a normal spinal cord.''
She said the lining membrane of the brain and central canal of the spinal cord can spawn new nerve cells in the fish. The layer, present in mammalian embryos, appears to be dormant in adult mammals.

Scientists hope advances in spinal regeneration can some day aid the more than 10,000 Americans who suffer spinal cord injuries each year. Another 250,000 people with multiple sclerosis have degenerating nervous systems, which can ultimately cause muscular weakness and paralysis.

South American natives believe that the ghosts of the departed take up residence in these fish, hence the name.

Black Ghost Knife a fish that has the unusual ability to regrow a severed spinal cord and nerve cells is being studied by researchers in an effort to find ways to improve treatment for humans who are paralyzed from spinal injuries or degenerative nerve diseases.
Marilyn Anderson, a professor of anatomy and neurobiology at Colorado State University, is growing nerve cells from the black ghost knife fish in tissue culture to find out what chemicals or hormones stimulate the cells of the fish to automatically regenerate.
''When the fish's spine is severed, it sets off a series of events like embryonic development,'' she said. ''We get differentiated nerve cells that form nerve fibers that connect with new muscle tissue. Within one year we have total regrowth and recovery and the new spinal cord is indistinguishable from a normal spinal cord.''
She said the lining membrane of the brain and central canal of the spinal cord can spawn new nerve cells in the fish. The layer, present in mammalian embryos, appears to be dormant in adult mammals.

Scientists hope advances in spinal regeneration can some day aid the more than 10,000 Americans who suffer spinal cord injuries each year. Another 250,000 people with multiple sclerosis have degenerating nervous systems, which can ultimately cause muscular weakness and paralysis.

South American natives believe that the ghosts of the departed take up residence in these fish, hence the name.

:eek:WOW!:eek: That is incredible! The black ghost knife is my favorite bottom dwelling fish, now I am more thhan mesmorized! WOW! Thank you for sharing!!(y)

I don't really have a favorite. I really like swordtails and cories. I also really like fry of any type :) they are my favorite! !!

I don't really have a favorite. I really like swordtails and cories. I also really like fry of any type :) they are my favorite! !!
Oh my gosh! That's just too cute! FRY! Love it! They are pretty adorable I must say :)

Lovin Fish said:
Bettas are very beautiful. I have 3! They are also very "people orientated" which is pretty cool!

A betta I used to have would come up and rub against my finger, like he wanted to be petted.

Lovin Fish said:
Oh my gosh! That's just too cute! FRY! Love it! They are pretty adorable I must say :)

I have about 60 of them right now.. get a few more every week. I go to the lfs (petco) and ask for their fry.. I have gotten 8 in the last 9 days .. all for free :)

Rainbows are my favorites. Melanotaenia, Glossolepis and Chilatherina are the top 3. Currently keeping 14 different types.(y)

Rainbows are my favorites. Melanotaenia, Glossolepis and Chilatherina are the top 3. Currently keeping 14 different types.(y)

Awesome! I am not too familiar with rainbow fish beyond the dwarf rainbow (which I think is so pretty). I looked these 3 up and I really love the Melanotaenia. The Chilatherina is quite nice in the greener tones. Beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing :)

Awesome! I am not too familiar with rainbow fish beyond the dwarf rainbow (which I think is so pretty). I looked these 3 up and I really love the Melanotaenia. The Chilatherina is quite nice in the greener tones. Beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing :)

You are very welcome! If you want to learn more about bows there are several forums to check out. PM me and I can give you the sites,

Lovin Fish said:
:eek:WOW!:eek: That is incredible! The black ghost knife is my favorite bottom dwelling fish, now I am more thhan mesmorized! WOW! Thank you for sharing!!(y)

You're welcome, I have a friend of mine who's beep in a wheelchair for the past 26 years, if he's ever able to walk again or please excuse but even have use of his privates again it will be because of these fish.

red tailed shark so i can turn to people and tell them i have a shark in my tank and they are they nicer looking out of the fish sharks

The puppy-factor! Cory cats. They just go about their business, always wagging their tailfins and wouldn't know aggression if it hit em in the barbells!

My bangaii cardinal is my favorite. Such a beautiful fish.

That is the most beautiful fish I have ever seen! I had never heard of it so I looked it up immediately. Gorgeous! Wish it were a freshwater fish so I could have some!

Back
Top Bottom