Where do I go from here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all,

so I used to be into fresh water and have decided to start a new hobby in marine tanks. I have a 120 gallon tank that has just been cycled with 2 yellow tail damsels. Also, I have introduced 12 small red-stripped hermits and 2 turbo snails. As of three days ago I introduced a piece of rock that has some beautiful purple algae as well as three small soft corals. All seem to be doing great.

The question is: what is next? I understand that some advise to take out the damsels before introducing new fish (to be honest though they have become more purple than blue and are super amazing), however, can this be worked around. Also, do I actually have to choose between a "community" or "reef" tank; I guess what I am asking is if there is some sort of hybrid?

I look and see that there are so many options; all of which seem to have consequences. Is there a good starting place?

Thanks for your thoughts!

shirtlessbill

It really depends on what you want to keep. Do you want corals? If so stick with reef safe fish and pick what you want. Would you rather have a fowlr and go with aggresive non-reef safe fish? Decide what you want as a centerpiece and go from there.

You can get non reef safe fish and still keep a reef if you want corals. Just don't get anything that eats or destroys corals. There are plenty of "reef compatible with caution" fish that will leave corals alone but eat inverts. If you haven't decided what kind of tank you want yet tho I would remove the damsels now just in case you want more of a community tank at a later time. Damsels suck to catch after the fact lol. Good luck, keep updating which route you choose.

Thanks for the ideas. Ill let you know what I choose. I think I'm leaning towards some black clown's to start. My idea is that I'll take it slow and ramp up to some more advanced fish.

thanks again

So this is what I ended up with. After a 125 gallon exploding at the seal I'm rocking a 75 and heading in the direction of soft corals :)

Attachments

• image-436910042.jpg
    image-436910042.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3191061623.jpg
    image-3191061623.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image-966211302.jpg
    image-966211302.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4014217343.jpg
    image-4014217343.jpg