which is better freshwater or saltwater??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SW for me.

I agree with most, it happens to be whatever floats your boat. Saltwater does however increase buoyancy though ;)

i love both but i only do fw now i prefer fw although corals are very interesting its like the sw version of planted tanks if i have extra cash sw is next but i wouldn't do anything smaller then a 100 gallon with a 55 gallon sump

For me a planted freshwater tank looks more natural in a home than saltwater. Having owned both i can say saltwater is alot more expensive, harder to maintain, but has alot of diffrent corals inverts and fish. Freshwater is very easy, relatively cheaper, hardier fish, and has some crazy fish such as butterfly fish and shrimp and snails, crabs, lobsters, and even clams! Freshwater is my favorite because it looks more natural in the home, cheaper, easier, and plants are awesome! and CHEAP! (y)

I only have saltwater now but I have to admit.. The planted freshwater tanks look stunning when they are done well. And I can't say that saltwater is tougher cause that whole CO2 thing sounds intimidating as all get out. My favorite fish is still a betta that I bought at walmart 10 years ago that lived with me in a vase through my divorce. Little guy lived over 4 years. But I prefer our saltwater stuff just for all the variety. You never know what you're going to see next.

I only have saltwater now but I have to admit.. The planted freshwater tanks look stunning when they are done well. And I can't say that saltwater is tougher cause that whole CO2 thing sounds intimidating as all get out. My favorite fish is still a betta that I bought at walmart 10 years ago that lived with me in a vase through my divorce. Little guy lived over 4 years. But I prefer our saltwater stuff just for all the variety. You never know what you're going to see next.

CO2 isn't too tough once you have it figured out -- but balancing a high light/high tech planted tank can be a very difficult juggling act.

To me getting the salt water perfect is hard! And then one wrong move and all the living things in the saltwater tank are dead. Freshwater allows for more margin for error, which has saved me countless times! And did i mention gouramis are awesome? Very cool shape, cool colors, and great attitudes! I got a red flame gourami a few days ago and he is awesome!

As I have not yet tried SW i have to say that a FW planted is at the top my list. Soon though I will be able to say I have both SW and planted

Both are great and I can hardly wait to start my first SW tank. But I have to say a FW planted tank is very flexable and if I decide I don't want a plant in one tank, I can pull it up and put in another tank or stick it in my holding tub till I want to use it again. I do the same thing with inverts and snails too, but I tend to leave my fish in the tanks setup for them.

Not even a question. Salt wins all the way. Fresh is cool but anyone can do it, i mean salt water takes much more research and work to maintain. The reefs are super cool and so are the fish

I LOVE saltwater fish and corals, but what 13 year old has money to keep a reef? I have to go with freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom