Which smells worse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which smells worse: Freshwater or Saltwater?

• Freshwater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok time to poll... which tank option generally smells worse. Think... general aroma, not skimate or anything like that.

i have never smelt a saltwater tank, but if your freshwater tank is running healthy i do not see why it should smell bad :?

I voted saltwater, only because it's the only tank of mine that has an aroma (think ocean). It's not neccesarily a bad smell, but it's not the best either. My freshwater tank is odorless. :)

Interesting results so far... the guy I bought my tank from housed cichlids and i definetly remember thinkin 'now THIS smells like fish...' lol

The only SW tanks I've smelled are at the lfs and they don't have too bad of an odor. My FW tanks don't smell though.....even my cichlids. :)

I definitely have to say saltwater..... I mean if your freshwater tank smells bad (while running) theres a little bit of a problem..... but saltwater.... wow.. that is a smell to remember..... (fish stores are well ventilated)

In example of that "recurring memory" of saltwater.....
If you've ever overfilled... or had a sump overflow in a freshwater tank..... your reaction is usually something along the lines of "DANG IT, I waisted some water, now i have to soak it up with a towel or something" however if you've ever had a saltwater sump overflow.... you'll never forget.... because not only is there now tons of nasty smelling water in your carpet.... that smell is going to stay there.... long after the water is gone. And remember the towels you used to dry your carpet??? well... most likely, they wont loose that smell for a long time... a LONG TIME....... yeah not pleasant.....

I just had to throw in some stories to help with my point, sorry.... I always do this...

the way I look at it is like this: since the poll isn't specific on wether the water is an aquarium, lake, river, ocean etc. I would go with freshwater only on becuase of the ohio river, it seriously has some pugnant stinch to it lol now in an aquarium setting I would say SW, I'm always reminded of my schools abthrooms by its smells for some reason lol

you have a great point there.... it really doesnt specify whether its in an aquarium or not..... but im just going to assume.... that it means in an aquarium

My vote is for salt water. I live near the Mississippi and Kaskaskia Rivers. As much as they smell, I can't STAND saltwater smell. When we used to go to FL every year I could tell when we were close. The smell overwhelmed me and made me gag. You get used to it but it's enough to make me dred the first day down there since it smells so bad. And it's a unique smell. Not like FW rivers. Not to mention it takes MANY washings to get that SW smell out of clothing. I love the ocean, but I can't stand the smell.

Back
Top Bottom