Why are aquariums so addicting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a few theories as to why we are all either staring at, writing about, reading about, or think about aquariums all day...

Not in Order

- Interest in life in general (aquatic life specificly)
- The Farmville/Sims Factor (aquariums are like "God" games - you design a world, and see how your inhabitants populate it, tweaking it to always make it better)
- Creative Outlet -make your tank look like your specific vision of what you want to see
- Mentally soothing - kids stressing me? 10 minutes of "Tank Time" calms me down everytime
- Skill factor (there is no denying that it takes skill to set up and maintain a true aquarium) - not everybody can do it
- Beauty - I love the plants and aquascaping, and (of course) the fish
- Pets (I don't know about your fish, but mine are extremely perceptive and react to me when I approach the tank - it's really cool)
- Hobby - It's simply something enjoyable to do with my time
- Decor - you can design a tank to coordinate and compliment your home or office
- Amazing - personally, I find it amazing that we can take a little slice of a completely different ecosystem and insert it into our world. Can you imagine if we could put a slice of Space into a tank, or a dessert, or the moon, or a jungle? Not all of those are realistic, but you actually can do that with aquatic life. Amazing...
- Any others?

You want to try everything!!! Saltwater, chichlids, breeding, shrimp tanks, nanos, brackish, planted... I guess aquariums are like drugs? Lol

I agree with EVERYTHING Flei said..haha.
For me i think its the "God" factor. I love the fact that I have fish and plants and they literally would not survive if it wasn't for me. It really is hard to put your finger on exactly what it is, but it certainly is an addiction..not just hobby.

It's gotta be a part of the human mind that loves water.

Seeing amazing creatures in a (as best we can make it) "natural" habitat still makes me feel like a child going to Blue Planet Aquarium all over again!

There's always another fish or plant set up I want to try. When I design a tank I come up with multiple ideas so when I finish it there are 2 or 3 more setups I want to build, then it snowballs...

My wife wants a bigger tank. She wants 125 or 180. I gave her the fish fever. Moooore fish she sad. I was stunged by it

I have the same problem... I always want more! I want to try all different kinds! !!!!!! I had 7 at one point.. now I'm back down to 3 .. it all started with a 10g betta tank 3½ years ago!

I think its so addicting because people instinctively want what they can't have :lol:

I would have to say its the want factor. I want like 10 more corals- but they won't fit in my 220 gallon- so I will be upgrading again soon. And then- I want a fowlr because I want a queen trigger, an eel, etc.

All of the above! It's a family hobby for us too. By 'family' I include the dogs, who are constantly around when I'm doing the water changes and wimpering at the fish when they respond. I think the dogs think the fish are going to gnaw my arm off when I put it in the tank! Good times!

rreekers said:
I have the same problem... I always want more! I want to try all different kinds! !!!!!! I had 7 at one point.. now I'm back down to 3 .. it all started with a 10g betta tank 3½ years ago!

I think its so addicting because people instinctively want what they can't have :lol:

I started the exact same way but with a big feeder goldfish and currently have 3 set up

I started with a 10 gallon goldfish tank. The gold fish grew too large, so I needed to upgrade. The funny thing is, I remember thinking "This tank is so large that it will be the ultimate - the last tank I will ever want to get" HA!!! Little did I know that I was simply opening Pandora's AquaBox...

Meanwhile, back at the LFS...

So... I shouldn't put tropical fish in with the goldfish?
What do you mean I can't put Ciclids with guppies?
I can't put Angels with Betta's?
I need to keep salt in the tank with Goby's?

There's only one solution...

MORE!!!:nono::brows:

what do you like most about your aquarium?

I like this reason the best about my tank... "- Amazing - personally, I find it amazing that we can take a little slice of a completely different ecosystem and insert it into our world. Can you imagine if we could put a slice of Space into a tank, or a dessert, or the moon, or a jungle? Not all of those are realistic, but you actually can do that with aquatic life. Amazing...".

Another thing that I like that Fei didn't list, and that i didn't even know about prior to owning an aquarium, is that i am interested in the science of it. I've read a lot about the fish that i own (even about details of the anatomy) and always want to learn more. I also even like testing my water and feeling like a little chemist with the test tubes.

Back
Top Bottom