Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 57
Why is my Anubia melting?? Itís nestled in a rock. I thought this is the only way it

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6135.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	319848

At a loss rn. All my anubias just end up melting and I do everything youíre supposed to, keep the roots above the substrate and just find a place for it to sort of float or nestle it in a rock. I didnít notice this until just now, so obviously itís completely past the point of no return. Iím sick of wasting money on anubias! Everyone says how itís the easiest plant there is but that just is not the truth.

__________________
RoboFish808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:02 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 16,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboFish808 View Post
Attachment 319848

At a loss rn. All my anubias just end up melting and I do everything youíre supposed to, keep the roots above the substrate and just find a place for it to sort of float or nestle it in a rock. I didnít notice this until just now, so obviously itís completely past the point of no return. Iím sick of wasting money on anubias! Everyone says how itís the easiest plant there is but that just is not the truth.


Normally it is pretty tough but Iíve managed a few ways how are your other plants going?

I just put mine straight into gravel substrate (not too deep). Iím not sure how you attached yours? Is it getting new shoots?

It looks like it has green spot or hair algae on it. Mine under under high light gets green spot algae on leaves and/or black beard algae (BBA). Mainly on old leaves.

Mine is fine with liquid carbon dosing but it doesnít like being in air for long during a water change. H2O2 spot algae treatments work (especially for BBA), but still have leaf damage.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Normally it is pretty tough but Iíve managed a few ways how are your other plants going?

I just put mine straight into gravel substrate (not too deep). Iím not sure how you attached yours? Is it getting new shoots?

It looks like it has green spot or hair algae on it. Mine under under high light gets green spot algae on leaves and/or black beard algae (BBA). Mainly on old leaves.

Mine is fine with liquid carbon dosing but it doesnít like being in air for long during a water change. H2O2 spot algae treatments work (especially for BBA), but still have leaf damage.


I pulled it out, there are a few new shoots but another leaf broke free. Last time I had a leaf break free, i shoved it deep into the sand and when I pulled it out a few weeks later it had an inch long white root sticking out of the bottom. I was confused as I thought the roots couldnít be submerged.
__________________
RoboFish808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Normally it is pretty tough but Iíve managed a few ways how are your other plants going?

I just put mine straight into gravel substrate (not too deep). Iím not sure how you attached yours? Is it getting new shoots?

It looks like it has green spot or hair algae on it. Mine under under high light gets green spot algae on leaves and/or black beard algae (BBA). Mainly on old leaves.

Mine is fine with liquid carbon dosing but it doesnít like being in air for long during a water change. H2O2 spot algae treatments work (especially for BBA), but still have leaf damage.


My other plants are mostly doing very well; all the bacopa and rotala and stem plants are going off like crazy, the water sprite just multiplies by the day, the micro sword is forming rows now, my spikerush doesnít seem to like the fine sand too much. My gravel nano tank has a full spikerush carpet. Dwarf sag also not doing well in this sand, all my shoots stay alive but shed leaves and replace them with new ones, they donít propagate.

Melon swords growing fine, just have annoyingly curving leaves; java ferns are propogating like wild, mosses of course are growing fine.
__________________
RoboFish808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Aiken Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 5,469
Roots can be submerged. In fact the roots will get into substrate to anchor it in place. Its the rhyzome that shouldn't be planted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboFish808 View Post
I pulled it out, there are a few new shoots but another leaf broke free. Last time I had a leaf break free, i shoved it deep into the sand and when I pulled it out a few weeks later it had an inch long white root sticking out of the bottom. I was confused as I thought the roots couldnít be submerged.
__________________
Aiken Drum
Community Moderator
Aiken Drum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboFish808 View Post
I pulled it out, there are a few new shoots but another leaf broke free. Last time I had a leaf break free, i shoved it deep into the sand and when I pulled it out a few weeks later it had an inch long white root sticking out of the bottom. I was confused as I thought the roots couldnít be submerged.

They look like the older leaves that were grown out of water. All plants will adapt and change leaves. Thats when the new shoots start. Just trim the old leaves off when they start getting too much algae.

The transition period with anubias is much slower than most plants so it takes time. Old leaves will melt. Itís normal.

I bury my rhizomes and they grow fine. I always test old wives tales just to see for myself. Most people rarely do.
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led, nest, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anubia's Welsh Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 8 09-27-2011 10:28 PM
splitting an anubia flushingfish Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 09-20-2007 12:57 PM
Can anyone tell me why my crypts are melting? An t-iasg Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 12-19-2005 11:52 PM
What's eating my anubia????? Big C Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 10 08-17-2005 09:19 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.