Work place rant! Would this bother you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rondory

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where I work there is this technician that never thinks she can do anything wrong. She takes twice as long to complete a job and goes way beyond what is really necessary.

We have this log book where we write patients names so we know the date the test was complete. Well, on a number of occasions I see where this other tech feels that she has to correct my letters. I cross my "t" with a little line and my "i" dot ends up a little too far to the right. She recrosses my "T's" and dots my "I's". :evil: :evil: :evil:
She also reshapes my other letters if they aren't quite perfectly formed. I admit that I tend to write fast and my letters aren't grade school perfect, but who's are? I'm 36 years old with a professional career and this makes me crazy!
I completely understand if I were writing down numbers or letters that would mess things up if they were incorrectly read. I'm talking about writing "Mildred" and not closing my "d" or giving it a little tail.

Thank you for listening to my rant! :wink:

I would speak to her about it. It is an annoying habit but she obviously has some control issues and perhaps OCD. By talking to her reasonably about it, you may come to some resolution and ease your annoyance.

You are well within your rights to rant...even bring it to *cough* her attention. This is probably best said now. Whatever you write within the scope of your employment is a legal document. hence, no one should edit your handwriting whatsoever unless of course that person is directly responsible for reviewing these documents and initials the location of the change.

Life is to short to stress over such trivial things.

If she isn't rubbing it in your face and relentlessly commenting about it and it gives her some type of release then just let it go.

Sounds like she works in the wrong environment. Perhaps you could get an apllication for the IRS and fill her name on it and hand it to her. Kind of like hint hint? :idea:

Sounds to me like she doesn't have enough of her own work to keep her busy. Maybe she should get some new responsibilites added to her job description so she doesn't find herself bored. Like getting coffee...or emptying the trash? :wink:

Where I work there is this technician that never thinks she can do anything wrong. She takes twice as long to complete a job and goes way beyond what is really necessary.

This I would let go, I have a similiar workmate, except she takes twice as long and still doesn't do the necessary job. It just much easier for me to take up her slack than try to assert myself (believe me, I've tried).

She recrosses my "T's" and dots my "I's". She also reshapes my other letters if they aren't quite perfectly formed.

This needs to be addressed and stopped immediately, if for no other reason for what Jchillin said above.

I would definitly talk to her about this. Even for the reason that if you don't say anything your frustration with her will build and you could snap at her one day for something else because of your harbored feelings.

Speaking as a tech myself, I wouldn't let the the part about how fast she does an exam bother you. Some techs are faster than others.... and some feel the need to do what has been engrained in them as far as what they interpret to be a complete exam. I work in a busy hospital so I do what I can to get the job done professionally and pleasantly, but still go as quickly as possible. I notice others do much more than I would do, and that's their perogative. It sucks when it's busy, but it's just the way it is.

The writing part has got to be stopped though. No reason for it at all. I would blow a gasket if I had another tech interfering in any unconstructive way on my case. Most doctors writing isn't very good at all so I'm sure radiologists/cardiologists will be able to read your writing. If it's just a matter of logbook entries.....well, even less of a problem.

JChillin is right....most lab notebooks or logbooks are important documents that have specific procedures that should be followed. The reason notes are taken in pen is so that no one can change what's written without record of the old writing. If she changes your writing then she should have to initial and date all changes. Because of this I also agree you should speak to her. If she does her work correctly, but slowly, that is fine; my office mate is OCD and it takes him a little longer to do things than it takes me.....but he's also not wasting his time on silly things!!

Thank you for your comments.

I'm really ok with her taking more time to do something and only added that because I was trying to form a picture of what type of person she is. That alone doesn't bother me as much as her correcting my penmanship. It is like I'm in first grade again! LOL

It is just a log book for us to let the units know when a test was complete and when it was interpreted by our physicians. It is used ONLY by our techs and secretary to ensure proper billing. Thats what makes it so crazy! :lol:

I would say anything that records hospital or medical things should be treated as a full-blown laboratory notebook, documentation and all.....you can never be too careful when you're dealing with people's health, and you never know when those records might be needed in the future.

Good luck in talking to your coworker....I hope she is reasonable about it!

Stop crossing your "t"s and dotting your "i"s altogether. Then when she asks about it, joke about it with her, then tell her to knock it off.

Your coworker should share a padded cell with my boss.

Can we put my boss in there too? He separates his Doritos into 'Full size' and 'Pieces' before he will eat them. Not to mention the myriad of other annoying behaviors.

In college, a co-worker of mine liked to "edit" our bosses memos. She used to stomp up and down the sales floor demanding who the culprit was....her face just beat red with anger! I guess I'm saying I can understand your frustration. :)

verucaproduce said:
QTOFFER said:
Your coworker should share a padded cell with my boss.
Can we put my boss in there too? He separates his Doritos into 'Full size' and 'Pieces' before he will eat them.
:shocked!: :eek2: :crazyeyes: I'm so glad I only have to deal with my annoying habits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom