You're kidding me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I had 15 fish in before and they were doing fine and then they died because off disease. Then I they the tank go for a 2 weeks then put the chilid in?

Likely your fish died due to ammonia levels being too high. Google the nitrogen cycle and get yourself caught up on the process before you go adding more fish and experience more losses.

Was your water a yellowish color and stinky when they all died? If so it sounds like ammonia poisioning. Best way to cycle a tank is provide plenty of porous media in your filters for all the different BB to stick to. Let the tank run for about a month adding food every few days. If you want a complete breakdown of the cycle PM me and I will gladly explain further.

But what should your ammonia be

Once the tank has cycled it should be at zero. Did you read the article Mumma linked yet? There are two ways to cycle, fish in and fishless. If you have fish already you will be doing a fish in cycle, but if your tank is empty you may want to start a fishless cycle. It's easier and you don't have to worry about your fish dying during the cycle. You have to do lots of water changes when you are doing a fish in cycle to keep the water safe for the fish, but fishless you don't really have to do any until the end unless your ph drops or nitrites go through the roof. Do you have a liquid water test kit? If not, you will need one. Ask if you have any questions! We are here to help.

But it is 0

But you don't have any fish in there, right? If there's nothing to produce ammonia it will be zero. You need to let the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite, then the ones that convert nitrite to nitrate colonize the filter. Do you have any nitrates in your water? If you have zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and some nitrates, then your tank is probably cycled. If you have no nitrates then you aren't cycled.

If there has been nothing in the tank for two weeks (other than the short time the cichlid was in there) then the bacteria would have starved to death. If the tank was cycled, it isn't now. I would tear the whole thing down and disinfect before starting a new cycle. You don't know what killed your other fish or exactly what killed the cichlid. It could still be lurking.

Ok I'm gonna take a shot here....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If your tank is empty and running, meaning filter, heater, lights whatever. Your beneficial bacteria will die off if there isn't any ammonia source.

You need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle. Or you can do a fish in cycle.

I cycled my 55 gallon cichlid tank with fish in. It can be done if you test often and are willing to do water changes often.

Your ammonia is 0 because you have no source of ammonia in your tank.

Please can you give more informative answers so we can help you along. It would benefit is both if your posts have more substance to them.

It's hard for is to answer and help if we really don't know what the bottom line is.

Size tank?
Filtration?
Stocked or not?
What are your goals?

Please try and answer the questions.

Thanks!
Dino

EDIT: just saw Mummas post. So I'm correct about the BB(beneficial bacteria)

The size is 30 gallons. Filtration API nexx canister filter. No stock

30 gal won't cut it for pseudotropheus crabro (bumblebee) maybe if you kept it alone but it would be miserable. I have heard of pairs doing ok in a 55 but even still they do better with more females. Again your not really answering people's questions nor are you paying attention to people's advice. It seems your previous stock died of nitrate poisioning. This means your tank was in the process of cycling but couldn't breakdown nitrates fast enough ie not enough bio. You need to establish a proper biological filter in order to keep ammonia and nitrites at zero and nitrates at a trace. If you had 15 cichlids in the tank before than naturally your ammonia nitrite and nitrates wood be through the roof. Far to overstocked of am aquarium. What kind of fish were in your last set of stock before the bublebee.

With such a small tank you might be better off steering clear of the cichlids, IMO. Why dont you try getting a few neon tetras, or platys? If you got any questions feel free to ask.

30 gal won't cut it for pseudotropheus crabro (bumblebee) maybe if you kept it alone but it would be miserable. I have heard of pairs doing ok in a 55 but even still they do better with more females. Again your not really answering people's questions nor are you paying attention to people's advice. It seems your previous stock died of nitrate poisioning. This means your tank was in the process of cycling but couldn't breakdown nitrates fast enough ie not enough bio. You need to establish a proper biological filter in order to keep ammonia and nitrites at zero and nitrates at a trace. If you had 15 cichlids in the tank before than naturally your ammonia nitrite and nitrates wood be through the roof. Far to overstocked of am aquarium. What kind of fish were in your last set of stock before the bublebee.

Sorry congo do you mean ammonia poisoning? Nitrates cant be broken down by bacteria. I agree with your statement about the bumbles. 55 minimum. We keep fish for our enjoyment but it should be shared 50/50 to benifit you and your fish, my satisfaction comes more from creating a happy and healthy tank for the inhabitants. Its more important than anything and feel its a duty as their man God. The power of controlling their life in that way is the real beauty behind fish keeping. You can keep bumbles in a 30g if you want Josh but let it be on your conscience and not mine. Again people are all built and think differently and your way of thinking maybe different to mine.

Sorry congo do you mean ammonia poisoning? Nitrates cant be broken down by bacteria. I agree with your statement about the bumbles. 55 minimum. We keep fish for our enjoyment but it should be shared 50/50 to benifit you and your fish, my satisfaction comes more from creating a happy and healthy tank for the inhabitants. Its more important than anything and feel its a duty as their man God. The power of controlling their life in that way is the real beauty behind fish keeping. You can keep bumbles in a 30g if you want Josh but let it be on your conscience and not mine. Again people are all built and think differently and your way of thinking maybe different to mine.

Yes I meant ammonia poisoning thanks for clarifying don't want to confuse this poor kid any more lol... As far as everything else I completly agree its for your enjoyment we can only advise you on what we all would do personally. Ultimately it's your decision and your money.

People are trying to help you, just because its not what you want to hear doesn't mean you should be giving such short responses.

I'm sorry you don't have a tank of an appropriate size, since it sounds like this is your first fish tank perhaps you really should consider neons or platys. Cichlids are not hardy like you think, many species require very good conditions and any deviation could kill them all off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom