ZOMG. terribad exotic petstore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbjank

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was on my way back from a friends house when I spotted this exotic petstore on a strip mall off tthe road.
These poor lionfish were so cramped they had no where to move. If their next time I drive by I'm goin to call my lfs and ill buy them and transport them their. They had a few other SW tanks that looked in terrible shape. :(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110728_121620.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110728_121620.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 283
thats horrible,petstores like that should be shut down

looks like some one got a deal on some saltys and didnt research Did you tell them it's not good for there stock it might not do any good but you never know untill you try.
My wife hates it when we see stuff like that because i'll say something to the people that are there

I hate to say it but WE are the reason stuff like this happens. Whether it be a high fish demand area, people getting out of the hobby because they thought it was easy and dumping their fish to pet stores, or people trading in fish because they get too large, they are in there due to us. These people are running a business where they need to meet demand by supplying. The same reason there are so many puppy mills, abondoned or stray dogs, or thousands of dogs being put down daily. We as humans jump into hobbies and pet keeping without realizing that in doing so, we are creating reasons for these types of situations to be occuring at an astonishing level. To most stores, these fish are simply dollar signs. And rightfully so, this is how they feed their families, pay employees, pay rent, pay taxes, but more importantly: supply us with the means for our demanding hobby. Sure there could be better ways of doing it, but most would run out of business that way, leaving us empty handed. I'm not saying it is ok for this to happen, it is cruel. But until we ALL can run perfect tanks with ZERO casualties, we will continue to buy these "pets", adding to the high demand, leading to a need for stores to have higher supplies.

newbjank said:
If their next time I drive by I'm goin to call my lfs and ill buy them and transport them their. They had a few other SW tanks that looked in terrible shape. :(

If you buy stuff off them it will make more room for them to get new fish! Pet-stores like that don't even deserve a visit, than they'll be out of business before you know it! Just my 2c

If you buy stuff off them it will make more room for them to get new fish! Pet-stores like that don't even deserve a visit, than they'll be out of business before you know it! Just my 2c

I shudder to think of what happens to their fish if they go out of business. :(

If you don't buy and they go out of business, a few fish suffer. If they stay in business, many more fish will suffer. So if you see fish in cruel conditions, get people to boycott. Don't support the store by "saving" fish, because the store will only replace the ones you bought with more, and make a profit to expand...

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom