0 ppm nitrates causing no plant growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danchisum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been trying to start a planted tank, but I not having much luck in making plants grow. I have a 50 gallon with soil on the bottom with a basic pebble cap, 2 gouramis and 2 otos. I believe my newest plant is a Brazilian Sword, but it looks a bit thicker then the pictures I've seen online. I am using glutaraldehyde for CO2 (a double dose daily with a Finnex Stingray Aquarium LED Light. Sorry for the long background.

The plant is doing fine, but I don't see it growing at all. It's almost like it's in a holding patters, not growing, but not dying. I was doing some research and something told me to test my nitrates. They are 0 ppm. Do I need to use some kind of root tab fertilizer to jump start growth? From what I've read 0 ppm is not good for the plants because that is what they use to grow. Am I missing something?

Any suggestions?

From what ive read swords feed from the roots and need a root tab. Also it can take up to two weeks for a new plant to start growing in a new environment. Or so ive been told.

You definitely should add a root tab right under the sword

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright, you only have 0 ppm as the plants are using it all correct? So as long as you have some root tabs, your sword should get its own share of the nitrates soon enough. Don't worry about it, a lot of people have very lowly stocked planted tanks with a negligible bioload and supplement the plants.

Pic of the Sword ?

What lights are you running ?

Soil should be good, but Swords do love root tabs. I just bought 50 for $8 off of TPT.

Update, I still need help

It looks like my Brazilian sword is in trouble. I put a tab near it a few days ago and it was getting worse so on Saturday I put another one under it directly. I put a picture below, but I'm not sure what else to try and I'm getting frustrated with growing plants. I thought by using the soil and glut with the lights I have it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm using a Finnex Stingray Aquarium LED Light. Is it possible that I'm not getting enough light?

3hGcbab.jpg

Was it grown emerged? Like out of water? Because if it has, that is normal. Also with swords, they will melt but as long as the roots are still there, they will come back. Is the rhizome buried? It shouldn't be if it is.

Was it grown emerged? Like out of water? Because if it has, that is normal. Also with swords, they will melt but as long as the roots are still there, they will come back. Is the rhizome buried? It shouldn't be if it is.

I ended up taking the leaf off that was dying since half of it came off during the day. I reburied the plant, but kept the rhizome as shallow as possible. When I took the sword out the rhizome looked white and solid. I think that's a good sign.

I also replanted my Dwarf hairgrass, one of the bunches isn't doing well, but the others look ok. I see some growth off of some of them already.

Yeah taking the dead leaves off help- the plant doesn't work on fixing that one as much and it works on new leaves

You should split up the dhg... Your clumps are way to big IMO. The more you replant the worse it is. The plant will constantly focus on root growth and not do much up top. Gotta let it get situated.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom