1.7 pico planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I set up the 1.7g I mentioned here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/1-5-nano-planted-252358.html#post2384990

I had a clip on lamp in my "workshop," I had to add a reflector to it, made out of an old aluminum reflector off a 55g and then wrapped in tinfoil. It is burning a 13w CFL spiral bulb, 6500k daylight.

I got the Azoo mignon 60 and set it up. I removed the rim and the base to the tank and took the lone crayfish inhabitant to my LFS as he would escape without a lid and tear up my plants and constantly re-scape.

I scaped it with a large centerpiece of granite, have black sand and black gravel substrate. I took a small anubias nana, java fern, and pondweed (Najas flexilis).

I'm going to add shrimp. Not sure if I'm just going to go with a handfull of boring ghost shrimp for basically nothing, or spend some money and get RCS, Mandarin, Red Crystal, or some other fancy dwarf shrimp. Any suggestions? What are the chances I have shrimp jumping out & escaping without a lid?

You can see from the pictures that I've got some scratches and haziness going on. I think it looks better than it did with the old crayfish.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
If anything, go with a neocaridina species like RCS, yellow, or rili. If you go RCS, look for the PFR (painted fire red) variety as they are more red than red cherry or sakura grade. Neos are hardier than crystal reds, not to mention cheaper. I love crystals and other caridina species, but they're not for beginners.

The shrimp can climb out so just make sure there's nothing hanging out the tank that's close to the rim. I had an amano and a tangerine tiger climb out the tank when i used some lucky bamboo sticking out. I wasn't so lucky to find the shrimp outside the tank dead and dried up about a foot outside the tank. :(

Thanks for the tip on the shrimp. I'm using the Azoo palm filter, so its hanging on the back, but thats the only thing. I may put ghost shrimp in to start to ensure a cycle (I used established media in my HOB) and to see what kind of escaping happens.

Back
Top Bottom