10 Gal Planted, Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drobertson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I have decided to change my 10 gal over to a planted tank. Was looking for suggestions on what plants to use to get this going. I currently have Java Moss that was donated by Lonewolfblue( again thank you ). that is the only plants in the tank now. Recommendations on other plants and where to get them would be helpful.

I have 36watts of CF for lighting and running the lights 8 hours a day.
Is that to long or to short?

No CO2 at this time.

With 36W, you will more than likely need CO2. For plants, could do some crypts, rotala wallichii, R. rotundafolia, sunset hygro. Not sure if it's enough light, but stargrass is a possibility. Maybe some chain words too.

8-10 hours is plenty.

Wisertia, crypts, anubias, java fern, mosses, R. Rotundafolia, Primrose, Pearlweed, cabomba, elodea, hornwort. I have grown all of these with ~33 watts of NO fluorescents over my tanks.

If you add DIY CO2 and get descent, constant levels, the only plants that I don't think you could grow are the high to very high light ones. Lots of options.

Swords will get too big, Hygros are ok but will outgrow the tank in short order, Wisteria will also fill a tank quickly, Anubias in higher light is a little faster than you expect but likes to collect algae, any crypt will thrive especially with CO2 and a root tab under them. Really take the time to look at members pictures and decide what you want to try. And expect to find a plant or two that you just don't like.

im in the process of the same thing, I have about 26 compact fluorescent and 15watt color enhancer, DIY Co2, and am in the same hole as you, what plants! lol

Back
Top Bottom