10 gallon ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all.

I have a 10 gallon tank just sitting around for me to someday set up. right now, I do not think I can set up a tank that will be running 24/7 on electricity so I am thinking about turning the tank into a planted tank with no filters and heaters. i plan to sit the tank next to a window for the source of light. since it wont be high tech, the plants I will use are going to be java ferns, anubias and maybe cryptocorynes. I also am thinking of derimming the tank too, last time I tried to a 10 gal, I failed in doing so. soo thats my idea for the ten, I might not set it up as its just an idea, soo what are your opinions,advice etc?

No heater is kinda a tough one and depends alot on where you live. Minnows i suppose but most are too active for a 10 gal. One issue might be if it gets too much direct sunlight and your trying to go low tech you'll just get algae. You'll probably need co2 to keep up with that amount of light.

Red cherry shrimp tank?
Get black sand some pieces of driftwood and make it a moss tank moss is the easiest plan to keep and would fit your lighting

For doing that type of tank you need to read up on the walstad method. That is exactly what her method is about. It can be done but you need to do some serious research first so you get it right. White cloud mountian minnows are beautiful little fish and they won't need a heater either.

I forgot to mention, I also do not plan on adding livestock, just plants, gravel, dw. about the heater, I. havent, looked into it yet but I am not sure if plants require that much heat, based on my knowledge, plants grow with- light, co2, and temp. see! temperature! ill reconsider this. also ill look into the walstad method too. I know ive read around a few times about tanks like this. just cant rimg them up now

Check out my wabi-thread, i derimmed my 10g
As for no heater, you could try a moss tank because they like cooler temps in 70's, but otherwise i think your gonna need some kind of heater.
I got a used 50w if you ever need one ;)

I have a 55g with no heater and plants... have dwarf sag, amazon sword, ambulia, java fern, anubia, and crypt wendtii bronze and all do/grow just fine. There are also of plants that can grow in cooler house temps without a heater.

I think this is a fantastic idea.

To go along with Rivercats, the Walstad Method is almost exactly what you want to do.

As far as heating goes, natural sunlight as well as your temperature controlled house should suffice. Obviously the water will get cooler at night and warm during the day due to the sunlight but that's only natural.

Low light plants are an excellent choice. My person favorites are anything Crypt. They can come in a variety I colors, shapes, sizes, and textures. Various Crypts can make for a fantastic planted tank by themselves!

I do urge you to at least do a Shrimp for fauna. Shrimp and perhaps Nerite Snais. Both will help subdue excess algae and require little care (as long as you stick with Neocaridina species like Red Cherry). Heck, just read an article in Amazonas about a guy who kept RCS in an outdoor tank year round! They can definitely adjust to temperature changes that a no heater tank can throw. I've also kept RCS in a Walstad no filter 1g bowl and they thrived, so I know they can take that aspect too. Plus they add some color diversity and movement to the tank :)

ill think about that heater, tmd.
looked into walstad method. intresting. now im really tempted to set it up. i might just get some shrimps too then. maybe snails too

gotta get myself a test kit, and a little five gal bucket for topoffs/water change. I donated everything I had when I moved down to ga. sigh

Back
Top Bottom