Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

10 gallon lighting

I have a ten gallon tank that I would like to make a planted tank. The problem is, I just have the light that came with the tank kit. The light is an All-Glass Aquarium 20 inch fluorescent aquarium reflector (120 volt, 19 watt, 60 hz) with a 15 watt aquarium lamp bulb. I am assuming that this is in the low light range. I don't know much about lighting. I would like to get a better lighting system. Preferably one that can go over an open water tank and can provide light in the medium lighting range. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am on a budget so nothing too expensive.

29 gallon south american biotope aquarium - Fluval 205 canister filter, hyder in-line heater, 10 gallon sump (HOB filter, UV steralizer, and stealth heater), GLO T5 HO light, CO2, eco-complete, live plants, drift wood,and neon and black tetras.
bigfish93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I found this one. I might be able to buy the 24 inch one and rig it into a canopy so it will fit over my tank. The tank is 20 inches long and it says it fits tanks 23-40 inches. This may work out for me because I plan on upgrading to a 29 gallon tank a little while after I get this ten gallon one up and running. I could just switch the light over to the 29 gallon with everything else and it would fit perfectly. I don't know if I should get the single or the double one though.

29 gallon south american biotope aquarium - Fluval 205 canister filter, hyder in-line heater, 10 gallon sump (HOB filter, UV steralizer, and stealth heater), GLO T5 HO light, CO2, eco-complete, live plants, drift wood,and neon and black tetras.
bigfish93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

a single bulb isnt going to be worth spending the money on. i grew plants great in my 10g's with 15w daylight bulbs... i put a shop light with two 32w bulbs over them a while back and theyre doing great. if you're going to upgrade lights, look at either current nova extreme or lights from fish need it;lights; food;Sponge ... you could also make a simple one with cfl bulbs

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Guyver Send a message via MSN to Guyver Send a message via Yahoo to Guyver Send a message via Skype™ to Guyver
I managed to grow a very healthy tiger lotus and a sword in my 10 gal with the exact same light you have currently. Yes, they grew slower than if I dropped tons of money and effort on them (which I am doing now - ****ed addictions but it's all a matter of how much time, effort, and money you want to spend on this. I agree with rookie on the Nova Extreme - I'm using a 24" 48W over my 25 tall and I'm getting some great plant growth/revival (from an algae attack). However, the 24" was $90 at my LFS. Just some food for thought.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
I managed to grow a very healthy tiger lotus and a sword in my 10 gal with the exact same light you have currently. Yes, they grew slower than if I dropped tons of money and effort on them (which I am doing now - ****ed addictions but it's all a matter of how much time, effort, and money you want to spend on this. I agree with rookie on the Nova Extreme - I'm using a 24" 48W over my 25 tall and I'm getting some great plant growth/revival (from an algae attack). However, the 24" was $90 at my LFS. Just some food for thought.
if i decide to do this and i add co2 and fertz will it make them grow faster

Tags
10 gallon, light, lighting, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com