10 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a ten gallon tank that I would like to make a planted tank. The problem is, I just have the light that came with the tank kit. The light is an All-Glass Aquarium 20 inch fluorescent aquarium reflector (120 volt, 19 watt, 60 hz) with a 15 watt aquarium lamp bulb. I am assuming that this is in the low light range. I don't know much about lighting. I would like to get a better lighting system. Preferably one that can go over an open water tank and can provide light in the medium lighting range. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am on a budget so nothing too expensive.

I found this one. I might be able to buy the 24 inch one and rig it into a canopy so it will fit over my tank. The tank is 20 inches long and it says it fits tanks 23-40 inches. This may work out for me because I plan on upgrading to a 29 gallon tank a little while after I get this ten gallon one up and running. I could just switch the light over to the 29 gallon with everything else and it would fit perfectly. I don't know if I should get the single or the double one though.

a single bulb isnt going to be worth spending the money on. i grew plants great in my 10g's with 15w daylight bulbs... i put a shop light with two 32w bulbs over them a while back and theyre doing great. if you're going to upgrade lights, look at either current nova extreme or lights from fish need it;lights; food;Sponge ... you could also make a simple one with cfl bulbs

I managed to grow a very healthy tiger lotus and a sword in my 10 gal with the exact same light you have currently. Yes, they grew slower than if I dropped tons of money and effort on them (which I am doing now - ****ed addictions ;) but it's all a matter of how much time, effort, and money you want to spend on this. I agree with rookie on the Nova Extreme - I'm using a 24" 48W over my 25 tall and I'm getting some great plant growth/revival (from an algae attack). However, the 24" was $90 at my LFS. Just some food for thought.

I managed to grow a very healthy tiger lotus and a sword in my 10 gal with the exact same light you have currently. Yes, they grew slower than if I dropped tons of money and effort on them (which I am doing now - ****ed addictions ;) but it's all a matter of how much time, effort, and money you want to spend on this. I agree with rookie on the Nova Extreme - I'm using a 24" 48W over my 25 tall and I'm getting some great plant growth/revival (from an algae attack). However, the 24" was $90 at my LFS. Just some food for thought.

if i decide to do this and i add co2 and fertz will it make them grow faster

Back
Top Bottom