10 gallon low-light with dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys.

I wish I could get going on this, but this ich has stalled me. I can't even find my 5th barb. Not in the filter or anything...going to test ammonia soon. Where could a fish possibly go in something as small as a ten gallon?

Well if he's not in the filter, and not under/in any decorations, (assuming he hasn't rapidly decomposed/been eaten) my bet is substrate. I had a lyretail guppy lodge himself into the gravel and get stuck. He survived for over a day, I ended up finding him and freeing him. So yours might be alive, if that's the case.

Ammonia is at .25ppm, so he must be decaying somewhere. I'll have to tear the tank apart tonight and do another water change.

I really don't need this crap right now. So much homework, no time!

Rearranged my homework schedule and made room for the tank tonight so I could spend all of Wednesday on homework. I want to get this thing going.

I did a huge PWC and moved the 10g to the floor. I will be running that tank as normal, keeping the temp at ~85* while I treat for ich. Absolutely no sign of the 5th barb. Really no clue where he's gone. Oh well.

I am going to my Jeep to get the dirt and I'm going to start the filling process. I figure if I do this, by the time I order plants, my ich will be treated and I'll be ready to plant and move the filter over. Also mfd made me itch to do this asap!

Gotta love my ghetto stand.

img_1245482_0_d9ec9f8f27bf39afffe04859dac7d9fd.jpg

From what I've seen, you'll want to put it in there dry at about twice as deep as you really want it. I thought one bag would be enough for my tank, but after soaking it for quite some time, I ended up putting about 2/3 of the other bag in as well.

Update:

Was walked through by Shane at FishTank TV.

1)
img_1245648_0_1fe8f3bfe63ed1b68af08e2512df8b99.jpg

2)
img_1245648_1_9177dada97db65cdb3892180dec5364f.jpg

3) Wet down to a very thick mud:

img_1245648_2_06ccb89dd72ab51f87aff8777d60c4be.jpg

Now, since this tank won't be running for another week or two, I am going to mist the dirt everyday to keep it moist. Then when I am ready to go, I'll get it to a thick mud again probably and then add my sand, plants, filter and fish.

What are the length and width of your tank? How deep did the dirt get as a thick mud? Did you use the whole bag, and how big was the bag?

The update is appreciated. :)

Whatever a 10 gallon tank is, those dimensions lol. The dirt isn't too deep. I was told not too put too much; just enough to provide some nourishment to the roots. The mud flattened it a bit...I have it just above the trim of the tank. It's an 8qt bag, and I barely used any of it.

Yeah, for reference, a single bag of this stuff filled my 125 (72"x18") about 1", maybe just a little more. I wanted it to be just above the trim, then cap it with sand and maybe some pea gravel mixed in, so I added some more.

Okay, awesome. My tank is only 48x12 so one of those bags should be perfect for me. Thanks, guys.

I'm still looking forward to how this turns out.

Putting in this order:

4x Ceratopteris thalictroides "Water sprite"
1x Cryptocoryne wendtii
2x Lilaeopsis mauritiana

This will be alongside my current Crypt lucens, Jungle Vals, and Java fern. Recommend me another broad-leaf plant for next order.
Pumped about the water sprite.

Thanks, Fort. I'm so pumped. Only difficulty I had was working the crypt roots down into the soil...they always curl up. Lovin' this light, man!

Back
Top Bottom