10 Gallon Nano Cube - update 10-1-07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
It has been so long since I updated anything about this tank, that I was tempted to just start a new log on it. This tank has been running for about 20 months, and in that time it has proven to be my most challenging tank. The combination of very high light and small water volume makes it very hard to keep balanced.
Since the first log was posted, the tank has went through at least 6 to 8 complete rescapes. I mean taking out every plant, hardscape, even fish, and starting over.
On the success side, I have managed to get Croaking Gouramis and Halfbeaks to breed in there.
Nowadays, the tank is set up for breeding apistos. There is a nice cave for them, as well as lots of nooks in the rocks for them to hide from eachother in. The current layout is the third iteration of a "cave" scape. Something I started early this year when I got the itch to try apistos. First i tried some Apistogramma viejita red II, but my female managed to kill several Males in a row...she is just mean. Now I am trying a pair of Apistogramma agassizi “Red Tail”. They are very young, but so far seem to be getting along well enough.
The Hardscape is Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper, mixed with driftwood.
Here are some images of the tank:
nano-09-30-07-front-1.JPG

nano-09-30-07-front-2.JPG

nano-09-30-07-f_apisto.JPG

nano-09-30-07-m_apisto-1.JPG

nano-09-30-07-m_apisto-2.JPG

nano-09-30-07-r_side.JPG

nano-09-30-07-snail.jpg

Hardware:
10 Gallon Cube Master (8 gallon tank, 2 gallon filter)
ADA Nano CO2 plumbed in to pump for mist method
39w CF lighting
ECO complete
Homemade Auto Doser - Daily KNO3, and K2SO4

Flora:
Echinodorus parviflorus "tropica"
Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Java Fern "Needle leaf"
Lobelia cardinalis "small form"
Hygrophila "porto vehlo"
Echinordorus tennelus "red"
and some random plant I cant remember the name of

Fauna:
Pair of Apistogramma agassizi “Red Tail”
Bristle Nose pleco (juvenile)
L129 "False Zebra Pleco"
and the Biggest Pond Snail I have ever seen.

Hardscape:
Locally mined, Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper
Driftwood

Thank you ;-)

The Rock is Poppy Jasper. It is a red/yellow agate like material. The stones are typically red with yellow "eyes", or yellow with red "eyes". Some other pieces more marbled/layered depending on where they were in the rock vein. I got it all from a local mine. The colors are all natural. Even the pictures do not do justice to how nice this rock looks in person.

The rock itself is mined, rough tumbled, rinsed, soaked, and then into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom