10 Gallon Paludarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDracor

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I should have started this thread two weeks ago when I got the tank, but oh well.
I got a free ten gallon tank and decided to do a low budget paludarium. Had some PVC pipe laying around, got my hands on some eggcrate, cork bark, and moss for next to nothing. So I siliconed it all together.
38183-albums10189-picture42174.jpg

Once it had cured, I filled with water and put in some driftwood from my old fw tank, and let it start leeching tannins out. That took about a week or so.
38183-albums10189-picture42175.jpg

Once the water was staying clearer, I added sand and got a couple cheap plants, such as an anubia barteri. I hid a powerhead in the back, behind driftwood.
38183-albums10189-picture42176.jpg

I went to a local pond and caught a few water boatmen, some gammarus, daphnia, and a few other tiny critters to try to create an entire food chain type thing. Today, I also added two assassin snails to deal with the stupid snails that hitched in on the anubias. Here you can see a boatman next to the assassin. There are other critters in the shot, but too small to see clearly.
38183-albums10189-picture42180.jpg

Here is a full tank shot showing all the plants I put in today.
38183-albums10189-picture42177.jpg

Moving forward, I've ordered 6 Endler's Livebearers to be the only fish, and am currently trying to decide on a frog species for the upper part.
A parting shot of my kitten, Freyja, watching the assassin snail move across the sand.
38183-albums10189-picture42183.jpg

Thats awesome! Ive always wanted one, but wont a frog eat endlers, because there pretty small?

I'm sure it will try, but if well fed, probably won't want to give the kind of chase required. Like (non fancy) guppies, Endlers are pretty quick. Plus, they breed like guppies. And they'll be in there for quite a while before any frogs. There are also a lot of hiding places.

MacDracor said:
I'm sure it will try, but if well fed, probably won't want to give the kind of chase required. Like (non fancy) guppies, Endlers are pretty quick. Plus, they breed like guppies. And they'll be in there for quite a while before any frogs. There are also a lot of hiding places.

Sounds good!

Thanks. The Endler's should ship tomorrow. I'm super excited! After a little more research, it looks like they might actually be extinct in the wild, so anyone who can get their paws on these fish for breeding really should. After I move (into a house. Whoo hoo!) I want to set up a larger tank just for breeding Endlers.

Wow I'm definitely going to stay tuned for this thread, I'm loving that! I'd like to try something like this eventually.

Sorry for the delay. Things have been hectic here. Getting ready to move. Yeah, that's right, I set up a new tank right before moving. So?
Pictures of the fish!
Here you can see a male and a couple females.
38183-albums10189-picture42581.jpg

Good shot of a male.
38183-albums10189-picture42582.jpg

Got several all together.
38183-albums10189-picture42584.jpg

And the obligatory full tank shot.
38183-albums10189-picture42583.jpg

Any amphibian suggestions? I can't decide between native Pacific Treefrogs (if I can find them) or fire belly toads.

Fire bellies will go after the fish more than likely as they are semi aquatic. You could do a couple fire belly newts maybe? I like the pacific tree frog idea

I think I've decided that I really want treefrogs. Always liked catching them as a kid. Just have to find some now. Will probably wait until after I love, though.

Back
Top Bottom