10 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
i had an extra 10 gallon tank lying around, so i decided to try a low tech planted tank. atm
it has 5 neons, and 4 von rio tetras.
the von rios were given to me, and im thinking about getting rid of them,and adding 1 or 2 more neons to finish off the school.
i have a couple bocopa plants, and i think a type of sword, not sure, and another plant type. the swords look like there allmost melting, but there growing new stems.
here are some pics, and help iding the plants, and the stock list would be awesome.

heres a pic of the mystery plants and the tank

The first pic is some sort of crypt, and the third is a sword. They are both heavy root feeders and would not melt if you put a root tab or two under the substrate near their roots. hope this helps :) also, what type of lighting do you have?

Yeah, fit he first pic is a type of crypt and the second is a sword:) have you though about maybe adding some shrimp:D some RCS would look pretty awesome against the light sand:)

ill look into root tabs next time im at the store.
as for lighting i have a 15 watt bulb. it was given to me, and it doesnt say what kind it us. ummm do nocopa austalius need root tabs. im also thinking about doing diy c02.

ill def look into rcs, what do you think about my current stock?

stock seems fine IMO, rcs would be great in that tank :) as for lights you could probably only grow low lights under the light you have now. there are hoods for 10 gals that have 2 screw in incandescent bulbs, just switch them out for 2 6500k screw in spiral cfl and you with grow those plants no problem, just something to think about. I always use root tabs with my swords, and they grow a lot better with them. With these plants you would really need co2, but it would benefit the tank regardless.

im going to do diy c02 and root tabs, hopefully this will help. i may do some moss for the log, but can never find any at my lfs. ill def look into some rcs. ill prob buy some rcs for the 5g hex aquarium that i gave to my bud. thanks for the help:)

zach_1_6 said:
stock seems fine IMO, rcs would be great in that tank :) as for lights you could probably only grow low lights under the light you have now. there are hoods for 10 gals that have 2 screw in incandescent bulbs, just switch them out for 2 6500k screw in spiral cfl and you with grow those plants no problem, just something to think about. I always use root tabs with my swords, and they grow a lot better with them. With these plants you would really need co2, but it would benefit the tank regardless.

+1 incandescent lights really can't grow anything. Changing the lights will help a bunch, especially since the crypts are low light plants. If your going to start to run CO2, I would recommend reading up on it. There are a lot of problems that can occur because of CO2, like dangerous pH swings.

im going to do diy c02 and root tabs, hopefully this will help. i may do some moss for the log, but can never find any at my lfs. ill def look into some rcs. ill prob buy some rcs for the 5g hex aquarium that i gave to my bud. thanks for the help:)

look into anubias nana for the log, i think it would look nicer then a moss covered log, your opinion is the one that counts though :)

ill check and see if they have it at my lfs, i really dont want to spend alot of money on a new light fixture, ill also read up on diy c02 a little bit.

gman42 said:
ill check and see if they have it at my lfs, i really dont want to spend alot of money on a new light fixture, ill also read up on diy c02 a little bit.

You don't need a new fixture, you can just buy a 15W CFL bulb from Walmart or something:)

ohhhhhh okay ill buy a new bulb.what would be brighter. mine is kind if yellowish. i want one thats white colored. would that be a 6500k light?

gman42 said:
ohhhhhh okay ill buy a new bulb.what would be brighter. mine is kind if yellowish. i want one thats white colored. would that be a 6500k light?

Yeah, plants like lights around 6500K. You could probably get two 15W CFL's and run the CO2. That would be pretty good:)

okay sounds good
ill get a new light soon, ill keep u guys updated lol

Back
Top Bottom