So, I've had my new ten gallon tank running for a three weeks, fishless cycle with straight ammonia. The ammonia is dropping 2 to 0 ppm
in 24 hours, nitrites/ates not so much, but i read about "silent cycling" and went ahead and got plants. If it throws everthing off I'll just wait longer for the cycle to finish before i get fish, plants are relaxing by themselves. After planting everthing I realized I have a problem; though foster53 was kind enough to include a lot of free plants, I wasn't planning on that and now I don't know where I'll put the two golf ball sized amounts of moss (plus I'm told some other extras) I also ordered which will be arriving any day now. My family does have a well established 20 gallon tank with lots of room where I can send any extra low light plants and moss, but I would like some moss in this tank.
1.10 gallon tank (obviously)
2.Aquaclear 20 filter with the filter media, carbon, and bio pellets that came with it as well as about an inch square of cuttlebone (calcium since I would like to have shrimp eventually when everything is good and cycled)
3. Aqueon 50 watt heater at 76F
4. 20" light with a 15 watt full spectrum light
5. ~7 lbs Caribsea Tahitian black moon sand from 1"-.5" deep
6. Cholla cactus wood and some glass marbles
7. API stress coat plus to treat the water and tetra florapride liquid fertilizer
Rotalia ?cultivar (It's red if that helps)
10 dwarf corydoras (habrosus)
A dozen red cherry shrimp ( which is mostly why I want the moss)
Aqueon shrimp pellets, Hikari freeze dried brine shrimp and sinking algae wafers. Also occasional blanched zuchini if they like it.
1. What do you think of my current set up and how would you rearrange anything to fit some moss and more bacopia?
2. Does anyone see any problems with any plants that might not be suited for these conditions? Anyway to improve the conditions for the plants, (besides buying brighter lights)? I've read a bit about diy co2
but I'm not sure it's necessary or a good idea if I want shrimp at some point.
3.Once the water parameters are in check, do you think the cory cats and shrimp will like this set up? Should I add more of the cuttlebone for the shrimp? Should I give the corys more sand area to snuffle around? Does the food plan seem alright?
4. How would you generally improve the look of this tank?
5. Can anyone ID the mystery crypt?