10 gallon planted - Time to restart!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, here is the story of my 10 gallon planted tank. Months ago, I had a spare 10 gallon tank and wanted to have CPDs in it and plant it. Well, now, I have had some plants in it, but never got around to finishing it, so I will try to redo it. I have water wisteria, cabomba, and ludwigia in there at the moment. All are doing fine, but not particularly well. I want to order a pressurized co2 tank and PPS pro stuff soon, but I need advice on that.

1. What regulator do you all recommend? I have maybe $250 to spend between the regulator and the PPS Pro but I can loan money from my parents if necessary. :lol:

2. My parents, *sigh*, want to know that there is no problem with having PPS Pro in the house. Are the chemicals incredibly toxic, do they smell really bad/strong, and do they stain? Also, do they take up a TON of room? Really, just any reasons why PPS Pro is bad.

This is the list of plants I want (besides what I have):
- Vallisneria americana 'mini twister'
- Cryptocoryne wendtii 'mi oya'
- Cryptocoryne parva
- Bacopa something (preferably something reddish, suggestions?)
- Staurogyne repens

By the way, I have a 20" finnex fugeray for lighting.

:thanks: in advance, any opinions/comments/encouraging words are more than welcome!

By the way, I am currently dosing excel 2 out of three days at 3-4 ml, seachem flourish at 1 ml twice weekly, and API leaf zone at 4 ml twice weekly.

For a regulator:
New Aquatek CO2 Regulator Mini with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

Highly recommended paintball co2 regulator.

As for fertilizers:
Potassium nitrate is flammable. Other than that there are no issues with any of them. Just don't set it on fire and you'll be fine.

You'll get 4 2 quart ish ziplock bags and that's all the space they take up. They aren't smelly and don't stain. So no, there's no reason to label them as "bad"

For a regulator:
New Aquatek CO2 Regulator Mini with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

Highly recommended paintball co2 regulator.

As for fertilizers:
Potassium nitrate is flammable. Other than that there are no issues with any of them. Just don't set it on fire and you'll be fine.

You'll get 4 2 quart ish ziplock bags and that's all the space they take up. They aren't smelly and don't stain. So no, there's no reason to label them as "bad"

Thanks for the response! Do you personally use that regulator?

Following along, about to start a similar revamp of my 10 gallon. I have used a Aquatek paintball CO2 regulator with solenoid and it has been great. I am currently using their ceramic diffusor but im considering switching. I dose PPS pro the only issues ive had is carefully getting the powder in the mixing bottles with out spilling and all the weird looks from sales people when I asked if they sold a gram scale! :D

Following along, about to start a similar revamp of my 10 gallon. I have used a Aquatek paintball CO2 regulator with solenoid and it has been great. I am currently using their ceramic diffusor but im considering switching. I dose PPS pro the only issues ive had is carefully getting the powder in the mixing bottles with out spilling and all the weird looks from sales people when I asked if they sold a gram scale! :D

Cool! Looks like I am getting that one then!

I am soon going to order the one that Mebbid linked to, I just would like to know where you get the co2 tanks? Like what kind of store?

If your looking for a large (5lb, 10lb, etc.) I got mine from a local welding supply shop. That's also where I refill it. I've heard another possible spot to find one is a do-it-yourself brewery (to add the carbonation to your beer).

If you are going to buy the one linked above you will want to get a paintball tank you can go to sports authority or dicks sporting goods the 24 Oz tanks are 40 and like 5 to fill at sports authority or ace hardware note check the hydro date on any tanks you are looking to buy the are only good up to 5 yr from that date before you need to have it retested which is not even worth it unless you have a 5 lb or above.

Wait a minute, the co2 regulator that mebbid suggested doesn't have an "Adjustable output working pressure", is that bad?

I would get the regular Aqua Tec regulator and get a paintball adaptor for it. For just the extra 30 or 40 bucks you have a regulator that will work for any CO2 system you may want to upgrade to in the future without having to respend the money. One thing about this hobby is you're always wanting bigger. LOL.

I don't think that I will need to upgrade, if not I will probably buy a new system, but is the adjustable working pressure a big deal?

IMO I would think you would need one.

My current system is my first and only experience with pressurized CO2. But I would think that an adjustable output pressure would be about the most important part of a pressurized system. But there may be ways around it that I'm not aware of. Personally I would be nervous about having a needle valve holding back the full pressure of a charged cylinder. OS.

Needle valves and solenoid will fail around 150 psi most tanks put out about 1000 psi you deffinetly want to atleast buy a regulator that steps the preasure down to under 100 psi. I've had whole assemblies turn into a bomb when testing the pressure capabilities.

I just took a look at the aquatek web site it dose have adjustable working pressure up to 200 psi max go to there website so you should be good to go.

I have 3 of those Aquatek paintball regulators, all of which are being used on a 26g, 17g, and 8g. No issues with not having adjustable pressure. The only reason I can think of to have adjustable higher working pressure is to use it with diffusers that require a high pressure such as the atomic diffusers. However, to my understanding, even the non-adjustable Aquatek mini regulator has enough working pressure to work with atomic.

Oh, and the only reason I have 3 mini regulators versus 1 full sized with a manifold (splitter) is because the tanks are either in different rooms or house.. otherwise, a full sized regulator would be better.

Ok thank you so much guys! On the ebay listing it said that this did not have adjustable output working pressure, but I guess that is wrong. If you guys have used it than it is good enough for me!

One last thing. I was going to purchase a needle valve but apparently it doesn't need one. Is this right? If you have this, did you need to buy a needle valve?

Back
Top Bottom