10 gallon with dirt substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have another thread for this, but I'll post photos here without much text. 4 water sprite are being shipped tomorrow. Everything in the tank is doing great. Java Fern is still limp and weird, though. Lilaeopsis mauritiana is experiencing some die off but I see new roots sprouting and it looks like it's going to spread nicely. Pretty sure a runner is forming. Rotala indica experiencing the red leaf die off but new green leaves are coming out like wildfire.

img_1278665_0_86e4c71711609a3b8c8579b0444bbd6e.jpg

Looks good! You've had no issues with the dirt coming up through the sand (more likely the sand sifting down through the dirt)?

Marconis said:
I have another thread for this, but I'll post photos here without much text. 4 water sprite are being shipped tomorrow. Everything in the tank is doing great. Java Fern is still limp and weird, though. Lilaeopsis mauritiana is experiencing some die off but I see new roots sprouting and it looks like it's going to spread nicely. Pretty sure a runner is forming. Rotala indica experiencing the red leaf die off but new green leaves are coming out like wildfire.

Looks great Marc!

I'm just about to set my sand over peat moss substrate now :). The Lilaeopsis Mauritiana is something that I'm going to add to my most wanted plant list for sure.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Thanks everyone. Viper, no big chunks have come through. My tank finally cleared up the brownness after a few weeks.

Limpet, do you have a thread set up for that? I'd love to follow.
I LOVE the L.m., I think it is absolutely gorgeous. It's a really nice looking green, and I like the way the blades look. Supposedly once it gets rolling, it pops up everywhere.

Marconis said:
Thanks everyone. Viper, no big chunks have come through. My tank finally cleared up the brownness after a few weeks.

Limpet, do you have a thread set up for that? I'd love to follow.
I LOVE the L.m., I think it is absolutely gorgeous. It's a really nice looking green, and I like the way the blades look. Supposedly once it gets rolling, it pops up everywhere.

Here's my build thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...val-ebi-with-betta-as-centerpiece-146503.html

My GF is going plant hunting at a couple of LFS and I added that to the long list of possible plants :).

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110401_110512.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110401_110512.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 207
Looks great! How do you clean the sand? Siphon? Do you clean both the sand and dirt?

Thanks.

I don't clean the sand. Kind of just let it do its own thing and hover the siphon over it to clean up detritus on the top. Tank smells pretty bad.

Still stinks a bit. With each water change it gets better, though. I already see new growth on the water sprite. Wow, incredible.

Still stinks a bit. With each water change it gets better, though. I already see new growth on the water sprite. Wow, incredible.

Have you seen or heard any reason why it stinks so bad? Is Rookie having this same problem? I'm just curious cause I will be going the dirt route when I set up my tank.

The simplicity of your setup really makes it look nice!

I'm pretty sure it's due to the stagnant sand with anaerobic gas pockets within. That's all I can really think of.

I think he accidentally left a sock in it when he filled it....

No seriously, mine smells... well.. there is no smell. I'm pretty sure its the different way we did it. I did mine wrong, by soaking it with 3" of water on it, well under it... He did his the right way. Maybe i just haven't seen it yet?

Marconis: Do you have a glass lid on it? If so, does it still stink up the surrounding air with the lid on, or just when you open the lid?

Rookie: Have you had any issues with the dirt breaching the surface of the sand?

No glass lid. I have a clip on light and I think open tops are better, despite all the water loss.

Jon, I don't think that what you did was wrong.

Maybe you could put an automatic room freshener on you plug strip. Lol. Good place for a stick up

Back
Top Bottom