10 planted breeding build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm not much on words but I have a 10g tank with an aqueon 5-10 filter. I am going to make this tank a red cherry shrimp breeding tank that will be very very heavily planted. So far that's all but I need comments and suggestions. So lets get this thread rolling :]

Ooo exciting! I just did the same thing! I made it my plant-trimming grow-out tank... so it is also heavily planted. I think they appreciate that.

Definitely get java moss, it makes great hiding places for the babies and it gives them something to eat. I have a gigantic ball of it and shrimp just disappear in there for hours!

I have moss atatched to a Walmart log so that's definatly going in there. Any preferences on a substrate? Gravel is out already. I want something that will promote plant growth and something shrimp will love

I have moss atatched to a Walmart log so that's definatly going in there. Any preferences on a substrate? Gravel is out already. I want something that will promote plant growth and something shrimp will love

I love sand....the best kind of substrate IMO:)

I have pfs in my 40g so I think I will use that in this one too. Could I mix it with substrate made for plants

So here is an update. I just painted the back and bottom black with krylon spray paint. I did this 1. Because it looks nice. 2. Because it hides water drops. 3. Because it hides the cords :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110909_184206.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_184206.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20110909_184229.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_184229.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 54
I have added the water so I'm letting it "mini cycle" because I have no substrate in it. Oh and I chose my substrate. Its gonna be Flora Max. I think that's what its called. Has a brown color to it. Well I think it will look amazing and be better for the plants

Still looking for all comments and suggestions :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110909_200617.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_200617.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20110909_200651.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_200651.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 60
jetajockey said:
I have ecocomplete in my shrimp tank. Floramax works just as well though, and you get more for your money.

The Flora Max here is $25.00 for about 10 pounds.

Also I have never seen eco complete and will these substrates work like co2 or better

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Substrate is to provide nutrients (ferts) to the plants. Some substrates, like potting soil, contain organics in them that break down (i.e. rot) in the tank releasing co2, but I really don't like that method since it's fairly uncontrolled. But in general co2 injection is a totally separate thing.

jetajockey said:
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Substrate is to provide nutrients (ferts) to the plants. Some substrates, like potting soil, contain organics in them that break down (i.e. rot) in the tank releasing co2, but I really don't like that method since it's fairly uncontrolled. But in general co2 injection is a totally separate thing.

Your not sure about what I said.?
What part

jetajockey said:
There are 3 separate components to keeping aquatic plants, all 3 are important and a requirement.

Lighting, fertilizers, and co2.

What is good lighting. I have now 2 cfl screw ins at 6500k a piece

I have floramax in my 20 long w/o co2. Plants growing well so far. Nice substrate

User said:
I have floramax in my 20 long w/o co2. Plants growing well so far. Nice substrate

Does the Flora Max do a good job and does it look nice? Can you post a pic of your tank with Flora Max here

Back
Top Bottom