10G planted stocking ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 10 gallon high light planted tank set up and at the moment, there is nothing in it but 4 baby guppies that were used to help cycle it. I plan on getting rid of the guppies because I don't want to deal with live breaders lol.

I just bought 10 Blue Eye Gertrudae on Aquabid. I know they get about an 1"-1"1/2 but I can't really find much info on the internet about them regarding their bio-load. I was hoping to get a few other fish if possible. I was looking at getting a few Slender Harlequins or Mosquito Rasboras because I love how small they stay and their colors are amazing! I have to get my boyfriend some kind of shrimp in there, was thinking a few of the crystal red shrimp. Anyway, I just want to make sure that I don't overstock the tank since I don't really know anything about any of these fish lol.
Any advice you guys can offer me would be really appreciated!

Specs:
10G standard
C2 Fluval filter
Ph is around 6.5
Plants: Dwarf hair grass, Peacock moss on driftwood,
Telanthera Cardinalis and Green Myrio.

You should check out aqadvisor typing in everything you said you can put 10 crystal reds and you'll be at 89%. I think you should check out other shrimps so many good varieties out there.

The spotted blue eyes have reasonably small bioloads. I kept 8 of them in a heavily planted 10g for a long time with 2 otos and a pretty decent colony (50+) of RCS and never had issues with water quality.

A few notes:

1. The rainbows will definitely go after the shrimplets, but it sounds like your tank is pretty planted so it shouldn't be a problem. The adult RCS should be perfectly fine.

2. Keep an eye on the female rainbows as sometimes the males will kinda just bother them incessantly (sometimes to death).

3. Floating plants are definitely recommended as they spend most of their time at the very top and supposedly will sometimes jump (never had that problem myself). I had frogbit and dwarf water lettuce in mine.

4. Spotted blue eyed rainbows have pretty tiny mouths so make sure their food is small! :D

They're awesome little fish and seeing their little fin displays is beautiful. Makes me want to get them again! Good luck!

The spotted blue eyes have reasonably small bioloads. I kept 8 of them in a heavily planted 10g for a long time with 2 otos and a pretty decent colony (50+) of RCS and never had issues with water quality.

A few notes:

1. The rainbows will definitely go after the shrimplets, but it sounds like your tank is pretty planted so it shouldn't be a problem. The adult RCS should be perfectly fine.

2. Keep an eye on the female rainbows as sometimes the males will kinda just bother them incessantly (sometimes to death).

3. Floating plants are definitely recommended as they spend most of their time at the very top and supposedly will sometimes jump (never had that problem myself). I had frogbit and dwarf water lettuce in mine.

4. Spotted blue eyed rainbows have pretty tiny mouths so make sure their food is small! :D

They're awesome little fish and seeing their little fin displays is beautiful. Makes me want to get them again! Good luck!

Oh wow will they really go after the shrimp?! The shrimp are more for my boyfriend. We had somw ghosts in my 55gallon and I hated how they looked and finally convinced him to get rid of them lol. Will they just chase them or will they try to make them a mid day snack?
I knew about the floating plants and am planning on getting something. I have to build some kind of water flow directional for my filter first. I remeber people using cut up soda bottles and just taping them to force the water downwards which is what I plan on doing.
I originally only wanted 6 of these guys but the only one I could find on was on aquabid as a group of 10. I guess I'll just make it a species tank.

As far as food, could they handle frozen blood worms?

They might go after the smaller shrimps (usually only babies) but the juvies and adults should be fine. Also you don't want shrimp to be sucked up the filter so I would suggest getting something to put over the intake (old sock, pantyhose, the fluval filter sponge works great for me).

They might go after the smaller shrimps (usually only babies) but the juvies and adults should be fine. Also you don't want shrimp to be sucked up the filter so I would suggest getting something to put over the intake (old sock, pantyhose, the fluval filter sponge works great for me).

Ya there is one on there already because od the hairgrass. Lol its so messy when I trim.

They'll definitely take bloodworms but you just have to make sure the bloodworms are chopped up into smaller pieces.

Ya there is one on there already because od the hairgrass. Lol its so messy when I trim.

Yeah it is really messy when you trim dhg. I usually turn off all my filters and pump and just let the stems float to surface. Then I just use a net to scoop it all up.

Back
Top Bottom