10g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
This is my 10g "shrimp" tank. Right now its more like a snail tank. There are a million mts, 1 mystery snail (saved from a bucket on the porch by my fiance), and 3 zebra danios... I completely removed everything today and redid the plants because i didnt like them, and i had removed my driftwood and couldnt fit it back in... after a bath in the dishwasher, i tied my anunbias back to it and stuck it back in the tank. i cut a piece of the root system off the big amazon sword hoping it will do like the smaller one and grow out as well... Im hoping for some suggestions (besides adding shrimp of course lol) and also hoping for some plant ideas. Im hoping to add to the plants, maybe with some more variety. Its got a "stock" 15w phillips daylight bulb and then that little 15g rated in tank filter. Ive got a 10g HOB, but i actually like the in-tank better. Also, just as a side note, ignore the background please. I got that free with another tank and just havent taken the time to find a solid background for it yet....

Last edited:
Didn't have ,uch time to make a reply, to expand on what i was saying, i like the look of planted tanks on a black ground. It makes the green just POP! Also it will bring the color of your shrimp out more.

Looking good! I am terrible at arranging plants...I suppose it would help if i knew exactly what plants i have. Haha

What a perfect habitat for your fishies..
Good job on your aquascaping skills!!

here are some not so good quality pictures... main reason i took them is if you look closely, especially at the filter, you can see tiny bubbles... not real sure how they got there... the plants have them all over the leaves... is it normal for plants to put out tiny bubbles like that? there is no way the filter is doing it, its completely submerged, and i have no air pump... Anyways, i got some wisteria... and i separated the big amazon sword in to a few more plants, this thing is a beast... not long before im going to have to chance it in my super low light 55g....

Last edited:
The bubbles appear when you fill a tank for the first time or do a big water change. It's normal and will dissipate in a few days. Don't worry too much about it.

If you already have animals in there I would not advise to switch to fluorite. It will be a MAJOR hassle for little, if any, benefit.

Take off the ocean background! Hard to ignore =D Do you have any updates? I think it's a good start.

i know it can happen when you fill a tank, though none of my others tanks have bubbles when i fill them... but i havent done a pwc since last sunday, as sunday is my pwc day for that tank... mainly because my 150 takes forever and im fed up with pwcs for the day on saturdays lol... anyways, google says pearling may be the culprit... does that sound right? im a total noob at plants... btw, im thinking about putting flourite in my other 10g and moving some of the plants over to it... and the last update... the only fish i have in there now is a rubber lipped pleco i got today... kinda qt'ing it, but mainly put it in there because i have no fish in there now...

Those plants need to grow to cover up that coral background haha.
Plants are lookin' good though, if you can I would replace that filter with a smaller HOB filter, just so there isn't a big filter cloggin' up plant space :)

definitely change to flourite. Its like soil for the plants. Just wait till your ground cover (dont know the name of the plant but I had some) takes off. You will be able to trim it with scissors like a lawn. Looks great. Good job. Couldnt see any shrimp in pics. I beleive you though.

well i was going to use an hob, ive got 3 or 4 of them laying around, its just that when i put it on there, it threw the plants around, so i stuck with the little in tank filter... i like it... plus it doesnt hang over my sink like the hob did. and bige, there arent any shrimp now lol, i fed them all to my mbuna. all thats in there right now are a bajillion snails, a rubber lipped pleco, and one zebra danio fry. that hm has started growing like a weed, im going to start trying to plant it some more where there isnt any, hopefully covering the whole bottom of the tank. and im taking the anachris out, its not doing so well for some reason

I see, well you got a plan going don't let me interfere haha.

Since your still earlier in the planting stage of this tank, I suggest taking a look at some aquascaping help threads. You need to balance your tank out according to where your plants should be, back-mid-front. Plants that grow taller obv. go in the back, and plants that are shorter go up front.

This is a helpful link
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f98/plantbrains-stages-of-the-aquascaper-78741.html

Also research all your plants to find out max heights, conditions needed, and most sites inform you for placement in a tank :).

Keep going.

yeah, i am seriously considering taking everything out but the HM and anubias... the amazon sword has to be trimmed back weekly, and i got a bunch more plants (wisteria, and a couple others), i think ill put them in my other 10 for now. And i totally screwed up the aquascape of this tank lol... i just stuck the plants in there, no rhyme or reason to where they are. One of these days when i get a chance, im going to totally redo the tank and get it set up nicer

Back
Top Bottom