10g Planted Tank Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked these up this evening and got them cleaned up to see what I can do with them for the scape tonight. Tested them all with a drop off muriatic acid to see if there was a reaction and none of them reacted. Cleaned them with the hose and a tire brush and then soaked them in a bucket of water twice for 30 min at a time. Got them drying now and will blow them all off with the air compressor to remove any loose debris that may be left. Going to try to make a heavily planted river bottom I believe

IMG_20170719_191541255_HDR.jpg

Failed to get an update up last night of the tank. Ended making kind of a mountain scape after playing around with the rocks for a bit and getting some advice from my girl since she is a little more artistic than I am haha. I'm pretty happy with the left side of the tank but not sure on the right side. What do y'all think?

IMG_20170720_012812.jpg

Got a lot of planting left to do when I can find the plants or trim some it off the 29. Any suggestions on plants given the current scape? The Nicrew light seems to be growing the current plants as there is some new root growth and a little bit of filling out in the foliage.

I will have an update on water parameters here shortly also

Right side is fine IMO. You really want to avoid symmetry. I find hardscape can be challenging.
Perhaps crypts and dwarf sag in there. Vals and bacopa caroliniana along the back.

@Fresh2o I do appreciate it. Wasn't too sure how the scape would turn out since I didn't have much of a plan while I was rock hunting. Hard scape is no doubt challenging but I enjoy the challenge when setting up a new tank. Makes the process a bit more fun and once your done all the hard work really pays off until you decide it's time for a rescape haha

I have had my eye on some Wendtii Crypts and will probably pick some up when ole PetSmart gets them back in stock. Haven't seen any bacopa or dwarf sag there though. I believe I have seen Val's but I'll look when I go get my dog some more food and treats. I have got to figure out PayPal and if there is an easy way to load money so I can grab some plants out of the classifieds. I would much rather support another hobbyist than I would a big box store. Might hold off on buying plants until I can get some funds in PayPal. I am liking the suggestions on the plants though

Update on the water parameters. I believe the nitrates are just showing from the ferts.

7/26/17

pH: 6.0

Ammonia: 2ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 10ppm

Temp: 76.6

24850ac060b9423d010caaa6c33a83da.jpg

Had a super long day with work yesterday. Been trying to help my girl through a family member getting diagnosed with Parkinson's also. Today is looking like a much better day work wise.

Anyway I was looking last night for some small bio media bag that I could put some aragonite in. Couldn't find any small enough for the AC 30. The mesh bags from PetSmart have such a fine mesh that air gets trapped in them when I put in the filter and I have an air bubble in the filter. Anyone got any suggestions on some media bags for the AC 30? I have been looking in Amazon but the smallest bags I have found are 8" x 5.5". These bags are almost too big for the AC 70

@TMaier definitely need to put some in here. I think it would be really beneficial to the system once I can get some media bags

Your girl got any knee high stockings? Rinse it really well. Pppffft! Who needs expensive media bags.

I don't think she does but Ill have to ask her to see what she can dig up. Might have to walk into belks and buy me some stockings haha. Might get some funny looks but it would be worth it for some cheap media bags

I'm going to see if I can't price some stockings this afternoon once I get off and if they are near the same price the AC bags I'll just order the AC bags since they will be here in 2 days. I appreciate the links @Barliman totally missed those when I was looking. Does anyone know if you can get stockings at a dollar store or anything or are they like a speciality clothes item?

I ran by Dollar tree on my way home this evening and didn't see any stockings there but I am going to check Dollar general tomorrow since I was running short on time today before everything was closing. Thinking Dollar general should have some since they have items that are more expensive than a dollar. If I can find some I will be switching out the bag that the crushed coral/aragonite is in for sure.

Got some more trimmings of purple mudwort planted that I trimmed out of the 29. Also planted some left over Temple Compacta that I had from planting the left rear corner of my 29. Lastly moved a baby Java Fern I had in the 29 over to see how it would do with the Nicrew light.

Water test results from 7/30/17

0083ec78f5a8069ca26c264c6aac06f1.jpg

FTS from 7/30/17

3a62032b6e850931366db0cea706dd28.jpg

Does anyone know if Temple Compacta will propagate from cutting like these?

85146bd548f7ce9e6c77f313b3236abf.jpg

I ran by Dollar tree on my way home this evening and didn't see any stockings there but I am going to check Dollar general tomorrow since I was running short on time today before everything was closing. Thinking Dollar general should have some since they have items that are more expensive than a dollar. If I can find some I will be switching out the bag that the crushed coral/aragonite is in for sure.

Got some more trimmings of purple mudwort planted that I trimmed out of the 29. Also planted some left over Temple Compacta that I had from planting the left rear corner of my 29. Lastly moved a baby Java Fern I had in the 29 over to see how it would do with the Nicrew light.

Water test results from 7/30/17

0083ec78f5a8069ca26c264c6aac06f1.jpg

FTS from 7/30/17

3a62032b6e850931366db0cea706dd28.jpg

Does anyone know if Temple Compacta will propagate from cutting like these?

85146bd548f7ce9e6c77f313b3236abf.jpg

I'm not 100% sure but I think temple is a non aquatic? I may be wrong though?

From I have read I think you are correct. It is an emersed plant naturally but from what I can understand it can survive "long" periods submerged. Not sure how long a "long period" is but I figured I would experiment with it in my 29 mainly to see how it will do fully submerged. Seen a lot of reviews where people have had success and some that haven't. Be a good experiment I think

Last night I picked up some panty hose/stockings. Not sure which one they are called but I sure do appreciate the tip. They make excellent media bags. No trapped air, a lot smaller than the mesh media bags from PetSmart, and they have an awesome flow through rate. Added a handful of crushed coral/aragonite to the panty hose/stockings, tied the end off, pulled the media back through to create a double lining since the crushed Coral is sharp and found out these things tear easy. Looking forward to seeing if it can get the pH to 7.2-7.4

Also did a 50% water change since Tuesday is my water change day for the 10. Dosed Thrive again and cleaned the diatoms off all the glass.

1369809fe53872e32da195cab987c0fc.jpg

c033252d9762308c1dccae405a841f04.jpg

The tank is looking good so far! From my experience with Temple Compacta is does well for the first couple of weeks and then once you trim it down it melts away and doesn't grow back, hopefully you'll have a better experience :)

@CoreySheli I appreciate it. I am thinking it is going to be a 50/50 chance but I find enjoyment in experimenting around with plants. I have always enjoyed my small little veggie garden and aquaculture is near about more exciting. I have looked at all the local drug stores, grocery stores, and gas stations for the card to load money on to my PayPal account to buy some plants from some fellow members here in the community but can't find any of the PayPal cards. I am not going to give up looking though.

Back
Top Bottom