10g Tank - Attempts in aquascaping (10-19-06)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRagg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I'm sure everyone's seen me talking about my tank but no one's seen pictures. I swear it exists :). I got some driftwood in the mail today and that was what I needed to get me moving in actually scaping the tank instead of just planting it. I thank drsfostersmith.com for actually sending me an interesting piece instead of a log.

Stats:
10 gallons
26W CF (AHsupply kit)
AC filter
Hagen CO2 through the ladder & DIY CO2 through an airstone under the filter intake.

Plants (and positions in the redone tank):
Red melon sword (back left)
Red Wendtii (front left)
Crypt lutea (left center)
Dwarf Sag (front center)
Java Fern (front right)
Sunset Hygro (back right, new as of yesterday)
Anubias Nana (tied to top left of driftwood)

Occupants:
1 pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides "Orange Flash"
7 ghost shrimp
MTS

Ok, and here are the pictues. I'm definitely open to constructive criticism. I'm not super happy with the java fern, but I moved it because it was shaded by the red melon sword and it wasn't growing at all. I want to put the little plantlets (when they get big enough) in the cracks on the driftwood, but for now I think it will stay there. I also know the Red Melon Sword will get too big before too long, and I'm still not sure what to do about it.

Attachments

• shrimp_165.jpg
    shrimp_165.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 49
  • left_464.jpg
    left_464.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 54
  • right_203.jpg
    right_203.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 60
  • full_334.jpg
    full_334.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 80
  • aquarium_001_569.jpg
    aquarium_001_569.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 72
i love the apisto jragg, i have been looking at getting a pair of these for soo long but they are expensive!! i think u just need a few smaller plants to help scale the tank. it has a good look right now but a few small mid growund plants like stargrass or the narrow leaf sag that jchillen said or maybe something a little different like cyrpt parva. looks awesome though and i cant wait for updates.

Very nice!

Consider some pygmy chain swords for the foreground. I had some in a tank that had about the same lighting as your tank. They did well but they didn't multiply so rapidly that it became a problem.

I kinda like the open space in the front center. I do agree some shorter plants on the front sides would be nice.

I'm guessing the narrow leaf dwarf sag is the same as the two pieces I have in there right now. Is that correct? I couldn't find any other kind on plantgeek.

I like the idea of either more dwarf sag, the pygmy chain swords, or the crypt parva. They all have the narrow leaf, low profile look that would go great in front of my "cave" area.

The easiest and cheapest for me to pick up would be the dwarf sag. There's a LFS that carries it at a somewhat reasonable price.

The pygmy chain swords (they grow out more than up right?) are $8 with probably $5 shipping on aquabid.

The crypt parva is only available internationally on aquabid for $4 buyout with $17 shipping. So $21 total. I do however like this one the most. It looks like it stays pretty low.

I'm still up in the air as to which one to choose.

Thanks for the comments. I know it needs a little work. I'm still a planted n00b. :).

**EDIT**
Thanks for the compliment on the apistos. The female is hiding down underneath the bubble ladder in a couple of the pictures. I had a rough time getting them, but in the future I will know better. There's a local place that gets them from a local breeder for $15-20 a pair. Kind of expensive, but hey... I don't have many fish in there :wink:

I do agree with dskidmore about the open area. I like the open space right in front of the cave. That's why I suggested pygmy chain swords since they shouldn't get thick like a carpet in your tank (and if they do, you'll have lots to trade!) The chain swords will give you a little something but not overwhelm the area. JMO!

I have a similar open area in my newly-started 10 gallon. This open area is mostly because it's still a temporary set-up - some of the stem plants that are in there may be moved to one of my 5 gallon tanks when they are set up. It's better to put the plants in the tank for now instead of them floating in a bucket until all the tanks are ready. So I didn't really "scape" my 10 gallon yet, but I noticed that I did like that bit of open space that I inadvertently created.

Just for comparison's sake: In the linked photo, I have dwarf sag, narrow dwarf sag and stargrass in the foreground, plenty of open space. You will need a lawnmower, but that is ok since grasses love the attention.

812006013.jpg

Ok, I checked out your photolocker gallery JChillin, and I think I see the difference between the two sag plants. Plantgeek just lists them as broad leaf sag and dwarf sag, so that's why I was getting confused. I'm about 99% sure what I have is the "narrow leaf dwarf sag" that you're talking about. The leaves are really thin. I have access to a good amount of this stuff at a local store.

Also, when it comes to the stargrass, I think I've found a good place for a pretty small sized plant of that. As far as the pygmy chain swords go, I really like them, but they would cost more to get than the dwarf sag at the moment.

Is this emersed growth of stargrass?

Anyways, try to contain your laughter as I have used MS paint to convey what my view of the additions will look like. The Stargrass portion is meant to be what it would look like vertically, while the other portions are what area of the ground would be planted. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• tankdraw_175.jpg
    tankdraw_175.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 52
I didn't laugh at your "paint job"...ok, yes I did. :) I get the overall idea and I like it. What you have linked appears to be water stargrass or Zosterella dubia and it's pretty much just like sag in it's look and growth but will look good where you have it placed.

Is this emersed growth of stargrass?
I believe the Stargrass Jchillin is speaking of above is Heternanthera zosterifolia, which has blue flowers. You can find emersed pics near the bottom of this page (right column) http://www.lucidcentral.com/keys/APPW/html/heteranthera_images.html
I like the idea of either more dwarf sag, the pygmy chain swords, or the crypt parva. They all have the narrow leaf, low profile look that would go great in front of my "cave" area.
I agree Crypt parva is the best choice, fwiw. I've found Dwarf sag gets way too big for a 10g's foreground, and think its more of a mid-background plant that will obstruct the cave. Stargrass can be nice and prettier but it takes a lot of trimming to stay low.

I think you should seriously consider L brevipes, but still believe C. parva is the better choice. 'Case you want to see some leaf shapes next to one another while you decide, the fore/mid ground of this 12" tall tank, L to R, is Glosso, H. zosterfolia, Ludwigia brevipes, and Elatine triandra. The Crypt to the far right (a small C. wendtii) is wider leaved than C. parva.

HTH

I agree with cz, dwarf sag was too big for my 20's foreground when I had it at medium light.The tank is nice and luch, hopefully you're Apistos will breed un expectedly like mine did.But I never really got to raise the fry and one day they disappeared.

czcz said:
I've found Dwarf sag gets way too big for a 10g's foreground, and think its more of a mid-background plant that will obstruct the cave. Stargrass can be nice and prettier but it takes a lot of trimming to stay low.

Very true, but I think I explained that here:

Jchillin said:
I have dwarf sag, narrow dwarf sag and stargrass in the foreground, plenty of open space. You will need a lawnmower, but that is ok since grasses love the attention.

None of the "grasses" are higher than 3".

Well I went ahead and bought some dwarf sag. It should be here on Thursday (cheaper to buy online and pay shipping than to drive my truck round trip to the LFS). I'm probably going to put the sag in some of the gaps between some of my other plants as well to offer a little more "ground cover". It won't get much light there, so it shouldn't grow too fast.

I'll have to do the lawnmower thing like has been suggested. I can already see the two pieces I have right now getting some pretty long leaves, luckily they grow more out than they do up (staying less than 1" tall so far).

I appreciate all of the suggestions, and if the sag doesn't work out I may end up trying some of the other options.

Oh, and I bought a stainless steel lawnmower last week in the order with my driftwood. It's not gas powered, but it should do the trick.

Well here's an update. I've gotten much fuller growth out of just about everything in the tank. The crypt lutea has gotten absolutely huge. In the daytime it spreads out more and covers more of the tank, but at night it is more compact and taller like it is now.

I ended up with the narrow leaf dwarf sag (which is sending out runners now), stargrass, and crypt parva. Talk about indecisive. I was able to split the parva before I put it in, so I have two bunches instead of one. As far as the stargrass goes, some stems are doing better than others. I do have a few doing very well though so the species will live on :).

Anyways, here is an update pic. I've already had to remove a LOT of the hygro. It had taken over. The method I used to replant it has made me very happy. The results are exactly what I was looking for.

My male apisto decided he wanted to show off for the camera when I snapped this one. The female is sort of hiding behind the java fern on the far right. There are some eggs there that have turned pink and come off of the wood.

83006fullshot.jpg

Wow! Great pic - the apisto is showing off nicely! :)

I have the same stainless steel "lawnmower" as you ordered...they work well!

Back
Top Bottom