125 gallon build log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very, very nice. You are growing plants beautifully that I have tried many, many times that just won't grow for me. Great work!

Interesting question.

I've got a total of 312 watts. But half of it is 50/50 bulbs. Some believe the actinic isn't beneficial, some think it is slightly - so depends on how you want to measure it. At 312 watts, that puts me at 2.5WPG. If you disclude the actinic, I'm at 234W which is 1.8WPG.

I run my lighting from 2-11PM. The first and last hour are at half power, so 2-3pm is half power, 3-10pm is full power, then 1/2 power again from 10-11pm.

This is why I'm so big on recommending the TEK T5HO fixtures. At the lighting level I'm at, I haven't found any plant I can't grow in this tank yet. Others I know with the TEK fixtures say the same thing.

You saw the review Ingg did between the TEKs and the catalinas. I don't have any experience with the catalina's, but trust Dave with what he says. But yeah, I think it has a lot to do with the reflectors.

Not much of an update. I've got some brush or stag algae coming back, not sure why. Trying to up the CO2 level a bit, but I think I've maxed out capacity on the diffuser I'm using, so I ordered a 2d one today.

In an attempt to move forward towards breaking down the 46 gallon community tank I have upstairs, I transferred a few more fish today - 5 rummynose tetras, 2 peppered cories, a regular oto and a rubberlip pleco. Everyone seems happy, especially the rummies. Their colors are much brighter after an hour in the tank than I've seen in months in the other tank. They're much more active too.

IMG_2177.JPG

Also, I think I mentioned earlier that I had found fry in the 125 before I put any fish in the tank. We assumed eggs had come in from plants I got from Dave (Ingg). I got a quick pic of them. Crappy pic, but they're fast and don't stop. They're in my shrimp tank, and one of them is starting to get the blue shimmer praecox rainbows get high up on their back. There's 3 of them total.

IMG_2169.JPG

You inspired me to copy you. ;)

Stopped and bought 9 rummynose yesterday, have to admit I really like the way they school up and patrol out in the open!

Still trying to figure out a bottom dweller or two for the 180g, still thinking some of the tamer cichlids. May see if I can find some badis badis, those can be tough to feed though...

Rummies are some of my favorites. I'm really looking forward to getting some into my own tank. I love how big yours are, you must have had them a long time now.

Thanks everyone. Great smiley Heidi ... lol

Yeah, the rummies are awesome. I only have 5, and since I moved them to the 125 one of them has lost an eye. not sure how that happened. Those I've had now for probably close to 18 months, so yeah, they're pretty much full sized.

Dave, where'd you get yours? I'd like another 10 or so, but they're not easy to find around here and the quality when I do find them is... shall we say... lacking. I bought a dozen, lost 8, bought a dozen more from the same source, and now have those 5 remaining, so you see my issues with what I'm able to get here locally.

I'll see if I can get some closer photos of them, but like Dave said, they love to swim laps in the tank, and they're quick!

Last edited:
Here's some fishy shots. I know, "clean the glass, sheesh". I tell myself that all the time.

Rummynose Tetras:
IMG_2205.JPG

Peppered Cory:
IMG_2206.JPG

Male Boesmani Rainbowfish:
IMG_2213.JPG

Male Dwarf Praecox Rainbowfish & Boesmani:
IMG_2215.JPG

Rummies and Praecox:
IMG_2217.JPG

Furcata Rainbowfish:
IMG_2218.JPG

Another Rummynose:
IMG_2219.JPG

Furcata Rainbowfish (See the one flaring? awesome!) & Praecox:
IMG_2229.JPG

Sorry, I get a little click-happy with the camera sometimes. You're lucky I'm limited to 8 photos per post by the forum, else you might be in serious trouble here. lol

I just picked up some endlers from neilan and got to see the tank in person and the pictures just dont do it justice. it's an awesome tank inside and out.

i know where it's located so who wants to help me move it. :lol::grab:

I just picked up some endlers from neilan and got to see the tank in person and the pictures just dont do it justice. it's an awesome tank inside and out.

i know where it's located so who wants to help me move it. :lol::grab:

Ha, sounds like a plan FishEggs.

Neil, on a completely seperate and unrelated note: Are you going out of town anytime soon? Need anybody to help watch your fish?

And Neil that's the first time I've ever heard anyone apologize for posting so many pics. Seriously we love them, don't worry about it and keep em comin.

We are in the planning phase for summer vacation(s). I have 3 weeks of vacation that if I don't use this year, I lose completely. What are your fees for tank babysitting? I'll look into taking out a seperate insurance policy on my tanks, cuz I get the feeling you and fisheggs are scheming against me.

:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom