125 substrat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyDaughtersKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Graduated from a 20 high to a 125 this past weekend and I would like to do a planted community. First order of business is substrate. I've read a lot but still have one question. Ok maybe 2 or 3!! If I go with the ECO do I need or have to put another type of substrate with it? IE gravel, sand, or something else and is 2 inches total enough for a planted tank? Any and every thought or opinions welcome please. Thank you!!

IMO you can really do whatever you please. Eco is good for nutrients as roots from plants will feed from there. As for the top, its really about what looks good to you. Some of us use gravel and some prefer sand. I feel 2 inches is bare minimum, I prefer about 3 for good root establishment. Your landscape may be high and low. Maybe in areas where little substrate exists, you could place stones or anubias plants. Good luck!

In a 125 I feel you need a 3" substrate. You can do all Eco or in my 220g I used 1-1/2" of organic dirt capped with 1-1/2" of Eco-complete. Going with dirt or a commercial substrate like Eco has the advantage of having a high CEC, cation exchange capacity, which means it can absorb and hold nutrients from the detris and water for use by plants.

I have just shy of 4" sub in my 125 I have a thread going on it if you want an idea what it looks like. I can do a side of tank shot tomorrow so you get the full picture

Back
Top Bottom