125g Planted Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the fish that your going to put in there but some more variety please. Like maybe some Siamese Algea Eaters (check profile for info Jon) but i do really love all those fish you put in there i think the SAE will just help the algea that will occur they do a really good job with my taank

I think less variety is better. Once my ich is all cured I am getting rid of my cherry barbs and having a school of 10 cardinal tetras. In my opinion, it looks better. It just looks weird with several different genera.

Even with Africans, I liked having only two species in large groups.

Lights came in this morning. Will be hanging them tonight or tomorrow. Also picked up 2 more bags of PFS. It took about 2.5 bags to cover the dirt with about 1". Water looks nasty, but im sure after a few pwc's, it'll clear right up. Now I just have to wait on the filter to get here tuesday. I really wish I had plants today.

Has all the dirt finally settled? Will the PFS stay on top of the dirt or will it eventually get all mixed together?

The goal is for the PFS to stay on top as a cap. People make it happen all the time.. Not sure how well it's going to work out for me though. If all else fails, I can always pull it all out and just do PFS and root tabs.

What is different about your setup that would not make it work as opposed to the others who have made it work? Just a lack of experience with dirt and sand?

Yeah, its my first time, so I'm expecting problems. But, I tend to look at the glass as being half empty. This keeps me from getting terribly upset about things. I'm expecting it to not work, so if it does, I'll be super super happy. If it doesn't, well, I was already expecting it ;)

My dirt is already pushing up towards the top of the sand. Some of it escaping the "sand cap" is inevitable.

So if I understand correctly, larger particles eventually work their way to the top and smaller particles such as sand sift their way to the bottom?

My dirt is already pushing up towards the top of the sand. Some of it escaping the "sand cap" is inevitable.
Did you soak yours first? I remember Dustin saying if you don't soak it that will happen... I just soaked mine the wrong way lol. Mine hasn't had any come up, but I do have several pieces floating around where it got stuck on the sides and dried. Oh well. PWC's and skimming with a net should get it straightened out. And I have until tuesday before my filter gets here.

I made it a thick mud on Monday and misted it everyday since then. Too late now, water is in and everything.

Lol, yep. Fish are acclimating currently. I am going back East tonight to work tomorrow and am not getting back until late tomorrow night. Expecting my fish to be dead. The amount of stress they have been through the past two weeks is horrendous (ich, ammonia spike, moved into tank/bucket/bag/tank)...poor guys.

Seriously... If you go in to something knowing you're going to fail, you're not let down if you do. But if you succeed, it comes as a great surprise, and makes you very happy ;)

I've been tryin to tell my parents that for years! I totally get it :)

Alright... so here are some pictures... and let me just say. These lights are BRIGHT! I may just put them on a pully system so that after they go off, i'll hoise them over and use them to tan

img_1250366_0_82669fefb88a77015c42cefeb93653fc.jpg

img_1250366_1_ed13fae1fad052ef45ea9797b62568b8.jpg

img_1250366_2_bb869ca4df34761dea0eb28bcb988113.jpg

Until I get them adjusted, I'm leaving them loose
img_1250366_3_1bed614362a2bc463316ec7676c9b39e.jpg

img_1250366_4_b0489d138817846af3aeea3350139aa8.jpg

img_1250366_5_b664a356396e92cf231753ee5ccd3067.jpg

img_1250366_6_1b876ff98c30c856b11128eb4121b0b3.jpg

img_1250366_7_2ba9cd8ffcf6acf1a1f9ca77fea70a32.jpg

Back
Top Bottom