125g Planted Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Ok, so with the successful completion of my 40 breeder (well, it'll never be done, but you get the point), I am starting the build of my 125g. Now, I just bought this tank tonight for my wife for her birthday. Not quite sure where it's going to lead me, but I'm working out the particulars. Here's what I know so far...

Substrate- Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Soil... possibly with a layer of PFS on top.

Co2 Injection. Gotta get a manifold to split off from the cylinder under my 40 breeder.

Lighting- Hmmmm... Not quite sure. Fishneedit does not have a 6' fixture. I'm debating on spending $700+ for a 6' fixture, or buying two 3' 4 bulb units from fishneedit and hanging them. We'll see. Had also considered two 150w MH pendants, but the energy bill down the road seems to keep me away from that side.

Plants- Lots of plants. Not sure what yet, but I do know its going to be a jungle.

Fish- This is where I'm going back and forth. I really want to do discus. Really bad actually. But I'm a tightwad and thinking about all the money I'll spend down the road, I'm tempted to just do some angels and about 30 Kerri Tetras. I guess we'll see... That's a little ways down the road.

Anyhoo, here are two pics of the tank. It came with a nice big piece of driftwood. Not a bad buy for $200 ;)

img_1243867_0_6f54d653ec0c846770348dd29faa71e1.jpg

img_1243867_1_ff231134a669c458b1fcd1e30acfffb5.jpg

Great start! If you are going the discus route I saw a planted tank with discus and rummynose tetras that looked awesome. I think they may have had some Odessa barbs in there too. But I hear ya on the price tag for a discus...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not even the price tag. A buddy of mine will sell them to me for $10 and they're about 3". It's the cost of feeding them, doing ridiculous water changes, and the mental agony that I'll endure wondering if I'm killing them all the time.

mfdrookie516 said:
It's not even the price tag. A buddy of mine will sell them to me for $10 and they're about 3". It's the cost of feeding them, doing ridiculous water changes, and the mental agony that I'll endure wondering if I'm killing them all the time.

Ya...that too...hahaha

definitely following this thread...so interesting...

and oh, i loveeeeee the wood....so cool looking....great deal for everything...

Ok... so I think I've settled on hanging two 2' 4x24w T5HO fixtures over the tank. Its just too much money for a 6' unit and realistically, this will work for what I want. Medium light on the ends and in the middle, and higher light under the fixtures. It'll also only cost me about $225 that way ;)

Nice, I know the 8x80w T5ho's we got on the discus tank were pretty pricey and we only use 4 bulbs at a time.

GIT R DUN!

Great deal on the tank. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I hear you on the discus. Love them but not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Following and completely jealous... Still waiting for my 125g ;). Gonna be a cool tank...love your stand!!

I've also got your write up on the PPS Auto Doser saved to my favorites as well Neilan. I'm all excited about plants now. My 40 breeder is going great, my plants are pearling like crazy, my co2 is finally going good, so I thought it was time to up the challenge a bit ;)

So first off congrats on the pearling... It's funny that your original tank is a 40 gallon as that's what I'm starting with and like you the next thing I'm looking at is a 125... Go big or go home right...

Anyway regarding lighting I'd say think outside the box a bit. You seem like you might be able to handle some DIY because if so I'd take a look at LED panels meant for horticulture combined with maybe some new T2 lights linked up...

This is gonna give you craaazy usable light and keep the energy will way down could give you the ability to build in a small LED moonlight situation.

Just a suggestion I've been getting really into lighting technology recently and planted aquarists are way behind the rest reasons people use grow lights (horticulture, healthcare) so it's just about understanding the basic principles behind lighting and then using the Internet to find other distributors... On your tank it could be worth it to try and go all future tech...

Otherwise good luck I'm very anxious to see how this goes down you have an amazing centerpiece...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's not exactly go big or go home. I've had a 150g for about a year and a half now. It's more like I like the options I get with the bigger tanks, and I've wanted a 6' tank for some time now. For $200, I couldn't fuss. I paid more than that for my 40 breeder I got about 2 weeks ago haha. I'm not much on the DIY stuff. I really want the lights to hang from the ceiling, and for $225, I can't really fuss about the price on the lighting. I'll be converting my 150g over to a planted tank in the near future, once I get all of my africans sold. I may try a DIY LED fixture for it. Who knows?

It's funny that dirt floats. I would have never imagined it would float. It's just floating around with about 3" of water under it. I'm guessing it will sink soon? Anybody got any experience with that?

I think all of it just needs to absorb water...kinda like a mud pie...

Ok. So.. here's a list of supplies that have been ordered.

2x- 4x24w T5HO fixtures w/ hanging kits
1x- dual manifold for Co2... to split from the regulator
1x- 300w Titanium heater with controller
50'- Co2 tubing
2x- Brass Check Valves

I have a piece of 2" PVC, so all I need are the reducers, barbs, and this time I'm going to put a 1/8" barb in for my co2 rather than gluing the tubing in. I have an Odyssea canister that came with the tank.. not sure if I'm going to use it or steal the 405 off the 150g and use on it. Shouldn't need a tremendous amount of filtration since I'm going to have it lightly stocked. This is mainly going to be a plant tank ;)

Oh, and if you ever decide to do dirt... Don't get too much. I got 2 bags of potting soil, but 1 is PLENTY.

LOL....yep....I can't afford to do CO2 yet...and yes, sometimes dirt floats...but it will sink soon...

Back
Top Bottom