14 gal planted tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I took executive control of my younger teenager's tank as he wasn't caring for it. His betta had died and the three tiny fish that were left (some kind of lemon tetra if I remember correctly...) were moved to my big tank. Anyway. I cleaned it out and put a new background on to match my 55 gallon five feet away.

I'm planning on putting in Eco-complete, some wood pieces and some plants. Then decide on fish.

The lighting that came with it is very underwhelming so I'm looking to replace the bulbs with medium light so that I can get away with adding CO2 on my own. Here's the first pic with new background. Until the background gets less curly I'll leave the painters tape on.

image-75252279.jpg

The LFS was out of Eco-complete but had the Fluval substrate. I could go to Petco and get the Eco-complete and return the Fluval substrate another day.

Any thoughts? Is one better than the other?

Went with the Fluval. Placed it sloped with the shallower part in the front. Added a new piece of wood and an old piece from my big tank. Put in the plants and filled the tank. What do you all think? The filter's running so hopefully it will clear soon. The filters are from my existed cycled tank.

image-503615842.jpg

image-320345105.jpg

Wondering when I put in fish? Is it big enough for a school of Endler's Livebearers? Males only of course.

It looks nice....I will like to hear how you like the fluval stratum substrate as well...and what plant have you put in there

Micro Sword grass in front (3)

Hygrophillia Angustifolio (Willow Hygro). (5 bunches) planted in back

Some type of sword (2) tucked under wood and planted in the middle.

Beautiful tank! I really like the placement of your plants. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Endlers would be fabulous in that tank. I'd do about 10 or so, but that's just me;). Oh, and pygmy cories as well! Ah that'd be sweet (just me thinking aloud so don't mind me).

I'll be following!

Thanks for following and commenting. It will be interesting to see how it goes on this end too!

I use the Fluval stratum substrate in a couple of my planted tanks. It's great stuff but definitely not as durable as eco complete. So my advice is to be gentle with it as the granules break apart relatively easy.

A real survivor story/fishie miracle! Check it out.

When I emptied my son's tank to move and plant it, I couldn't find one of the female swordtails. I thought maybe she had jumped out or something. Three times I checked the pile of plastic plants to make sure I hadn't accidentally taken her out with the fake plants. That was Saturday morning.

This morning, Monday, I am taking the plastic plants out of the container I had put them in and there is the missing fish! I go to pick her up and she flops around! Holy smokes! Still alive after two days in a few drops of water. Not even enough to cover the whole bottom.

I quick put her in the new tank and she promptly hid in the leaves. She's totally afraid of me now and I can't blame her.

image-600807383.jpg

Wow that is a miracle! I can't believe that she would survive that long in such a small amount of water. It's not like these fish have a labyrinth organ like bettas or anything. Anyway, glad you found the fish and she's still alive! :)

Back
Top Bottom