15 watt lights on 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just got this tank and it came with the light. Just curious what all I can grow. Needs to be low maintenance but some ferts are fine. Also I love banana plants but I read they need moderate lighting. So could they work? If need be I have a desk lamp right next to the tank that I could turn on for a couple hours a day.

15 watts should be a good amount of light for a 5 gallon tank. I would expect algae until the water parameters are set to a range where algae growth is less stimulated. It would be at a point where the algae has to compete with the higher plants for food. I think 15 watts in a five gallon tank will work with banana plants.

As for the low maintenance area. The best I can say is limit the lighting. 5 hours can be enough to support a few plants and limit algae. You should get a filter rated to 10-20 gallon tanks to keep the water clear. You'll also need some gravel for the biological filter to help manage the ammonia, nitrites. I'm still figuring out the nitrates. The bacteria that removes it uses oxygen and there's more in the water than the nitrates so they'll use the oxygen in the H2O rather then the oxygen in the NO3.

Watts aren't a good way to measure light. Instead we use the bulb type. Is this a 15w CFL or T8 bulb (ie, swirly screw in or long fluorescent tube)?

Sorry didn't think of that. Um it's just a stock good so I think just a cfl. Kinda new to the lighting department.

Back
Top Bottom