15L Planted Tank (Walstad Inspiration)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHARPiE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I have decided to create a Walstad inspired tank.
The plan is to have a male betta and some cherry shrimp.
I'm using cuttings off my new 20G planted tank and driftwood I've been curing for some time.

Substrate:
2/3" layer of premium potting mix
2/3" layer of 1-2mm black silica gravel
Lighting:
18" T8 light housing
15w T8 Power-Glo tube
Filtration:
None at this point

Day 1
I placed the potting mix in the bottom of the tank with a layer of gravel.
Filled it up carefully with water.
Placed the pre-soaked driftwood in the tank.

The water was quite cloudy at this stage (but is expected)
img_2061413_0_35c23049d9d98be0d42576ff3a9dbea5.jpg

Day 2
Heater is installed into the tank, water is clearing
Grabbed a bit of Java Moss from my main tank to see what would happen :)

Day 3
Water has cleared a little more so did a PWC, clipped some plants from my main tank and planted: 3 dwarf blyxa cuttings (front right) 1 Vallisneria spiralis sprout (far back right - out of view) 1 Hygrophila (front right). I moved the drifwood a little too.

Photo after planting:
img_2061413_1_d77ee562f05eaa648c26f3c5b04a972f.jpg

Day 4
Water is clearing again after planting

img_2061413_1_d77ee562f05eaa648c26f3c5b04a972f.jpg

Day 5
The lighter coloured drifwood is coated in a jelly like slime. From research this is normal?

img_2061413_3_7980a8dc5c1e4be190c11e527f2e55a6.jpg

img_2061413_4_952626b3849f92a58d7e5c3550ce0a27.jpg

Questions:

• Do you think I can get away without a filter?
I almost splashed out and got a small HOB filter or small aqua one internal. As with my last project when I start stocking the tank I'll test and PWC dilligently.
  • Does anyone have any scientific information on the slime on my driftwood? (only the light colour is developing slime)
Any other comments?

The slime is usually a fungus on dw. Couldn't tell you which family or phylum.
You are going to need water movement or you might end up battling a case of cyano and/or diatoms, both of which are common in start ups when given the right environment.

Ah just noticed the walstad method. Not sure how that works other than trying to create a balance without outside help. So maybe artificial water movement is out of the question. Then again I do see your light. Lol

You can do a filter if you'd like, Walstad herself said she has changed some of her specs on the method. She now says that she even uses filters on some of her tanks to help clear the water column of particles faster.

I have two concerns though, first one is the soil. It is important it isn't full of fertilizers and such which would leech and pollute your water (ammonia compounds are common and could be very bad). Miracle-Gro Organic Potting mix is what I've used in the past and what Walstad recommends; cheap "topsoil" is also common. Don't know what is available Down Under :) . I'm sure you probably did your research first, but it is just real important to avoid any artificial ferts, the organic uses "chicken litter".

My second small concern is that the Betta may go after the RCS, but I guess that will be something you have to wait and see how he reacts. All my Bettas HATE anything aside from snails with them. You may get lucky and have a laid back Betta though.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out!

My concern is that it isn't heavily planted? I believe when you set up a Walstad Method tank, in order to absorb the massive amounts of nutrients from the soil, you plants a lot of plants. This also saves you from needing to go in later and get dirt in your water.

Very good point! You will have a bad experience if you don't plant heavily (speaking from experience).

Another update:
It's been quite hectic at work and haven't been able to update as frequently as I would like.

After the plants had settled and started growing in, I looked to filtration. Again this is moving away from the Walstad method - I just dont want to risk it :)

Sponge Filter:
img_2112973_0_6078f7e87e85acaba898e82a3cade435.jpg

img_2112973_1_1eab3d4504b617bff3a8f87afdd5e930.jpg

After the filter was in and running for a few days, I decided to add my tank mate. Just one Male betta is the plan for this one. Maybe some RCS down the track (my RCS in my main planted tank are growing exponentially)

img_2112973_2_292adcb3b423896fa07ad43be3db065d.jpg
img_2112973_3_232a57a6c9c908645a32c54878c64262.jpg

Just a little note here, if you ever do this again you need to get Organic Potting "Soil". Stay away from getting Organic potting mix because in the "mix" blends you get the extra unwanted ingredients. Plain ole Organic Potting Soil, if you read the bag, has nothing but the organic ingredients like peat moss. There are no extra ferts or anything added.

Back
Top Bottom